Thread: Oryx chassis with MDT poly mag alignment issues in 10T-SR, solved

Oryx chassis with MDT poly mag alignment issues in 10T-SR, solved

Hi all,

I've recently bought an Oryx chassis for my Savage 10T-SR in 6.5 Creedmoor. In general, I'm really liking it, but I've been having a hell of a time with the poly MDT AICS mags. The bolt hits the back of the mag body, and the mag tilts and either nosedives or overrides the case head. I found that pulling the magazine downward to sit tight against the mag catch helped with the bolt stoppage, but the feed angle was still jacked up.

I called MDT and the tech just seemed to think this was normal, and had no suggestions or solutions, so I went out to the shop to see what I could do.

Since my mags seemed stable side to side, and only rocked fore and aft, I decided to cut up a couple small pieces of plastic, glue them to the side of the mag body tight against the chassis while in the proper position, and then dremel and adjust as needed.

It worked like a charm first try, all 3 magazines fed multiple full magazines with zero bolt stoppages or feed issues. Obviously this isn't ideal, as I'll have to do this to any other poly mags I get, but I really wanted to avoid doing things like shimming inside the chassis in the event that I got some metal mags that would then be out of alignment due to the poly mag fix.

Not fancy, not really a genius move, but I've seen a lot of other videos and posts about the issue and the only fixes I saw were essentially "sell them and buy metal mags". Hopefully this helps.

Be nice if MDT can look into adding a detachable spacer on the mags from the factory so that others don't have to deal with this, as it seems that owners with a wide range of actions have reported similar issues.

Magazine in chassis: https://photos.app.goo.gl/sMCnyTHFXxHHC7RD6
    3 magazines with added tabs: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ANzDnRNhWtNKFSnr5

Basic Member
    Interesting...the only MDT mag I have used in my Oryx chassis is the .223 version and no issues. My .22-250 and .243 used Magpul without issue. I also have some ARC mags and the last round will not feed right because the follower is so long it hits underneath the feed ramp edge.

I filed the feed lips down on my Magpuls when I changed over to the Mdt chassis. Its very easy to do with a half round file, take the follower and spring out and file the inside of the lips until the bolt doesnt hit them when you chamber a round.

Yeah, I was kind of concerned that removing material on the magazines might cause other problems, especially since my issue also had feed angle instability. I figured if the stop tabs cause problems I can always remove them, but I can't put material back on the mag body if I goofed up the geometry.

You also have to file the front of the lips back until it will lock in easily first, does not change the geometry. on mine once the mag locked in than i noticed the bolt drug on the feed lips so than i filed them down on the inside with a half round file for clearance. I have had Zero mag problems since going to MDT setup.

Any chance you have a photo of what you're talking about? I'm thinking of putting some white out on the mag lips and cycling it a few dozen times to see where it rubs, but it'd be nice to get an idea of how much you removed and where so I can ballpark it.

Just making clearance to lock in to MDT chassisClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20201105_065744savagemag.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	7549