Thread: New B22 First Ammo Test

Basic Member

Thumbs Up New B22 First Ammo Test

Hi - I wanted to put a small post here about my B-22SV since I haven't seen much mention of them. This is the synth stock with a Heavy barrel (V). I've only had mine a couple months and the weather here in NB has often been too windy for accuracy (except to 'learn' wind-reading). When I got this gun I took a 'better' scope off my .308 - Bushnell Engage 6-18x50 to get the most out of the B22. So far I've only shot about 150 rounds with about a third of that 'seasoning' (dont know if that's needed, but WTH ^O^ ). After a 25yd Zero exercise, I've been shooting 50yds with variable winds - 5-15 kph. I measure 'good' groups with digital caliper (cheap one) edge to edge minus .224. I'm not 'patient' so I have lots of 1" to 1-1/2" groups, too. I've tried only 7 brands so far (lots of windy days around here in NB) -- Herters bulk 38gHP-HV; Federal Champion RNL-SV; Aguila 40g RNL-SV; S&B 40g RNL-SV; Federal Gold Medal 40gRNL-SV; Eley Sport 40gRNL-SV and SK Standard Plus RNL-SV. The S&B was least accurate, going over 1.0", with Herters just a hair better and the Eley Sport was best, with under 0.5". Aguila and SK were just over 0.5". Only 15 'good' groups shot over 2 trips due to windy conditions. This only shows the potential, not a consistency as yet. The "High priced" ammo ($10/50 or more - around here) is only slightly better than the Fed Champion ($3.50/BX). I plan to get more data, but the Wind Gods may not go along with my plan
    One thing I wanted to mention - on some forums I've seen complaints about loading the Savage rotary mag. I found that no more difficult than stick mags I've used, but have never used a 10/22 to compare. Anyway, I DID FIND a small thing I changed - the 'feed lip' area had a sorta sharp corner that I kept hitting when pushing the rounds fully in, so I rounded that a bit, and it seems to make loading easier. I have a couple pics below.
    Also, the B22 bolt needed a tiny bit of filing to eliminate a 'wear-issue' -there are some YT vids showing the issue.
    You have to dis-assemble the bolt to get that done. AND there was lots of 'gooey' machining lube w/tiny-chips in the bolt, trigger group, and barrel - lots of patches to clean it away!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    Eley sport and club is what I've shot the most this year but recently I shot some SK pistol match special and was very impressed with the results. After this weekend its going to get a break as I have a cz 457 mtr to shoot in the upcoming season.