Thread: Brand new hunter and savage user, A lot of questions.

Brand new hunter and savage user, A lot of questions.

Hello to anyone reading, I currently just started my hunting journey recently thanks to my brother. He owns a savage axis II chambered in a .308. I fell in love with savage after a hunting trip in Texas where I shot that same axis. So I decided to treat myself and bought a Savage High country chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I also bought a Vortex scope ( Viper 6.5-20x50 ). Alright so Here comes the questions.

1. Did I overdue the purchases for my first time?
    2. What kind of rail system fits on the High country because I've struck out already twice with 2 different picatinny rails to try and mount this scope?
    3. What type of rounds should i be looking for in terms of hunting / range shooting?
    4. Is there a significant difference in riffles between 308 and 6.5?

Appreciate any help and or advice in the setup of my rifle.

Basic Member
    Congrats on the High Country, that’s a very nice rifle. I do not know what rail will for that off the top of my head. EGW would make one I’m sure. The 6.5 will do what the .308 will do in terms of whitetail, black bear, elk and mule deer. It is a a fine caliber/cartridge.

In terms at bullets/ammo, speaking of mine, I shot several different loads. The Hornady ELD-X 143, Sierra Gamechanger 130 and Barnes LR 127 shoot very well out of mine (Savage 110 Tactical). I’m sure your aware that each rifle will shoot different than the next with different loads and just getting some ammo and seeing what your rifle likes is gonna be the best bet.

Team Savage
    Welcome aboard

Welcome to the group. I think you made a fine choice with the 6.5 Creed. Less recoil than the .308 and better performance at long range. As "Bama110Tac" mentioned take a look at the EGW rail for your Axis.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Welcome to the BROTHERHOOD OF THE BARREL NUT

Welcome!

1. Did I overdue the purchases for my first time?
    2. What kind of rail system fits on the High country because I've struck out already twice with 2 different picatinny rails to try and mount this scope?
    3. What type of rounds should i be looking for in terms of hunting / range shooting?
    4. Is there a significant difference in riffles between 308 and 6.5?
    1. Certainly not. IF you use the rifle and enjoy it. The 6.5 Cm is a wonderful multi-use choice (I shoot a .260 Rem - it's uncle).
    2. What range? Do you need a 20 MOA mount? EGW is good. Warne is good. I prefer the looks and action access of a two-piece but I'm not shooting past 300 yards, ever.
    3. Reloaded carefully by you. ;-) But, failing that, the ones tat shoot well in YOUR rifle. Nosler makes some great ammo.
    4. If I was after elk at any range or black bear from a ground blind under 100 yards I'd rather the .308 WIN. But anything smaller you made the right choice.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Awesome information, I most definitely need to look at those mounts and rails you mentioned. I cant wait to get them so I can get to hunting and the range.

Team Savage
    welcome

The mount you are looking for is for a short action Model 10, 11, 12, 14 or 16 center feed receiver with a bottom release if that matters. You do not have an axis, your brother does.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018662647/

https://www.midwayusa.com/scope-base...3D1%26Ntpr%3D1
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Welcome to the savage family. Great to have you on board.
    Ackley was right all along

Basic Member
    Agreed, your rifle is NOT an Axis rifle! That's the 1st place to start. As far as rails go, I personally prefer the Seekins 20MOA rail to all others that I have used. As far as the ammo goes, if your rifle is doing that with factory ammo, you have an awesome shooter!! Congrats on the snag!!

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Nevermind
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.