Thread: New 112V Owner Here (Series J) with questions.

Team Savage

New 112V Owner Here (Series J) with questions.

I've been wanting one of these for a while and bought one with some honest use from an online auction a few weeks ago. By the time it got to the FFL and in my hands, I had less than $400 in it. This one is a .243. I would have preferred a 22-250 or maybe a 222, 223. For the money, I figure I'd take a chance.

I'm probably going to put a BV-20 on it once I get a new rear block made up.

I've got a couple of questions.

1st question - The trigger is set very light. And I find the safety is difficult to engage with the bolt cocked. I think the two are related. It appears the rear screw in the trigger adjusts the safety engagement. When I loosen it a fraction of a turn, I can engage the safety, but I can bump fire the rifle. Any ideas or information on adjustment here? Sear engagement too shallow?

2nd question - What kind of loads does the .243 like? I'm assuming the lighter loads perform better. My plan is to mostly use this for paper and the occasional ground hog. I'd much rather prefer a projectile that disintegrates when it hits a rock or similar.

Thanks for your time.

Basic Member
    The sear engagement is too shallow and it sounds as if someone adjusted the sear engagement and didn't re-adjust the safety engagement, that's why it was so hard to push into the safe mode. Sear engagement and safety engagement go hand in hand. It's kinda like a teeter- totter, when one is loosened, the other needs tightened.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post

2nd question - What kind of loads does the .243 like? I'm assuming the lighter loads perform better. My plan is to mostly use this for paper and the occasional ground hog. I'd much rather prefer a projectile that disintegrates when it hits a rock or similar.
    That question will be easier to help you with if you tell us a little more about your barrel. The twist rate will define what bullets the barrel will stabilize. In general, heavy bullets require faster twists to stabilize and lighter bullets will require less twist. I don't shoot the .243 but many on this forum do and will be able to answer your inquiry once you describe the barrel.

Team Savage
    If I'm not mistaken, the twist on the factory barrel (currently installed) was 1 in 10". However, I'm not sure.

Also, this is one of the late 70's single shot rifles. It has a few spots of finish knocked off. Rather than refinish the entire stock, I'd like to try to touch it up. Anyone ever tried this? Does anyone know what type of finish is on it? It almost looks like some thin lacquer or similar. I was thinking about trying Tung Oil finish (not true Tung Oil).

With this new purchase, Welcome to the SAVAGE BROTHERHOOD

Basic Member
    If I remember correctly, all Savage .243 barrels are 1:9.25 twist.

While that will give you a good indication of what weight bullets will stabilize in a barrel of that twist, it won't tell you what your barrel will like.
    I have several 1:9 twist barrels that stabilize 77 grain bullets and shoot them great, but the stability calculators say that 77 grain bullets won't be stable in a 1:9 twist.

I have identical barrels in .308 caliber that don't shoot the same bullet weights equally well.
    One likes heavy bullets and the other likes lighter bullets.

I'm afraid that even when some .243 shooters give you their best loads, you may find out that those loads don't perform well in your rifle.

Basic Member
    If the barrel is a factory barrel they will shoot 55 gr to 100 gr very well. for groundhogs and paper I would try the 80 gr sierra bliz, worked very well in my stock .243.

22 Mag
    Happiness is not having everything you want, but wanting everything you have.

Basic Member
    I had a Savage model 11 in 243 that I took in on trade. I developed a load using 87 gr V-Max and as I recall, IMR4831. Shot terrific and son took his first deer at 220 yds with a shot to the ticker. Bang-flop!

The 9 1/4 twist somewhat limits the heavier bullets, but I've read of some success with 105 gr bullets. Of course the altitude where you're shooting does effect that.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.