Thread: 110 Ultralight Problem

110 Ultralight Problem

I just bought my first Savage. It is a 110 Ultralight in 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought it because I wanted the Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel. I am having an annoying problem with it. Sometimes when I cycle the bolt the cocking indicator doesn’t stick out. The gun won’t Fire because of this and I have to cycle the bolt again. Sometimes several times before the cocking indicator is sticking out. I have many rifles but this is the only Savage. I’ve never had this problem before. I know how to run a bolt. Most times just raising and lowering the bolt handle will fix it. Other times I have to move the bolt rearward and forward for it to finish cocking.
    I have tried lube and cycling the bolt numerous times but the problem persists. Is this a common problem for a Savage rifle? How do I fix this? I don’t want to miss a trophy buck because my rifle isn’t working right.

Thanks,
    Steve

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kxlexus View Post
    I just bought my first Savage. It is a 110 Ultralight in 6.5 Creedmoor. I bought it because I wanted the Proof Research Carbon Fiber barrel. I am having an annoying problem with it. Sometimes when I cycle the bolt the cocking indicator doesn’t stick out. The gun won’t Fire because of this and I have to cycle the bolt again. Sometimes several times before the cocking indicator is sticking out. I have many rifles but this is the only Savage. I’ve never had this problem before. I know how to run a bolt. Most times just raising and lowering the bolt handle will fix it. Other times I have to move the bolt rearward and forward for it to finish cocking.
    I have tried lube and cycling the bolt numerous times but the problem persists. Is this a common problem for a Savage rifle? How do I fix this? I don’t want to miss a trophy buck because my rifle isn’t working right.

Thanks,
    Steve
    I would make sure BAS is tight.. robinhood and a couple others in here can probably help alot more than I. But I had the same trouble you describe on a new savage and thats all it turned out to be.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks a bunch for getting back to me with the suggestion. Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be the fix. I don’t know how much torque the screw is supposed to have but I put an Allen wrench in it and couldn’t get it to move at all.

Thanks again,
    Steve

Basic Member
    Your trigger is set too light, and the sear is falling off the trigger. Adjust the trigger up and cycle the bolt slower.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

You are correct about cycling the bolt slowly. It doesn’t seem to do it if I go slow. First time I’ve had a rifle that has had that problem. It’s also disappointing that I have to have the trigger set heavier than I like for it to function properly. Totally defeats the ability to adjust the trigger lighter. Hopefully some of this improves when the rifle gets broken in. It does shoot accurately, so I’ll give it that.

Basic Member
    The Ultralight is a hunting rifle, as such the trigger is not safely user adjustable below 2.5 lbs- as it should be.
    I'd never send a hunting rifle out with a lighter trigger pull than that.

This is not a Savage/trigger "problem"- it's that you want a lighter trigger pull than would generally be considered "safe" for a hunting rifle. There would be substantial liability concerns with using a lighter trigger.

Easy enough for you to "fix", with a replacement trigger like the SAV-2 if you want to go lighter. Be very careful with these, if you go too light the rifle will slam fire on a hard bolt close.

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    The Ultralight is a hunting rifle, as such the trigger is not safely user adjustable below 2.5 lbs- as it should be.
    I'd never send a hunting rifle out with a lighter trigger pull than that.

This is not a Savage/trigger "problem"- it's that you want a lighter trigger pull than would generally be considered "safe" for a hunting rifle. There would be substantial liability concerns with using a lighter trigger.

Easy enough for you to "fix", with a replacement trigger like the SAV-2 if you want to go lighter. Be very careful with these, if you go too light the rifle will slam fire on a hard bolt close.
    I have the trigger adjusted to almost as firm as it will adjust and it still fails if I work the bolt very fast. I know it’s a hunting rifle. I bought it to hunt with. Savage advertises it with a trigger adjustable from 1.5 to 4 pounds. Those are Savage’s words, not mine.
    I know how to shoot a rifle. I know how to be safe with a rifle and you are right about too light of a trigger in a hunting rifle. As I said, I have it adjusted almost as firm as it will adjust and still have a problem if the bolt is cycled as I would normally cycle a bolt to prepare for a follow up shot. Hopefully it gets better when broken in.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Kxlexus View Post
    Savage advertises it with a trigger adjustable from 1.5 to 4 pounds. Those are Savage’s words, not mine.
    Indeed they are, 110 Ultralight features direct from Savage's website...

Features

• Factory blueprinted action
    • Lightweight Stainless Steel Receiver with Melonite Finish
    • Grey AccuFit ™ Stock with Adj. Comb height, Length of Pull, and overmold surfaces
    • Exclusive PROOF Research Carbon Fiber Wrapped Stainless Steel Cut Rifled Barrel
    • Threaded muzzle for 5/8 24 with flush fit cap
    • 1.5-4 lb user adjustable AccuTrigger
    • Detachable box magazine
    • Spiral Fluted Bolt
    • Drilled & Tapped Receiver (8 40)

Basic Member
    @Robinhood, do you think this could be an issue with the three position safety? You know more than I would.

Basic Member
    From Savage's website, FAQ's:

https://service.savagearms.com/hc/en...be-at-minimum-

Savage changes nomenclature (which is why their models are SOOOO confusing) and specs often, so who knows... everything in their FAQ's is 8 years old.