Thread: Vintage 1954 Savage 29B

Vintage 1954 Savage 29B

I purchased this beautiful little rifle from the widow of the original owner. Johnnie was sure a pal. Geezus, we used to laugh.

The metal is 95% condition. Stock is scratched up but would not take much to refinish - no nasty dings or gouges. I made a new but pad from Numrich with a Wheeler jig for fitting. It almost looks like it grew there - see my other posts.

I've actually not shot this one yet. I bought so many gun show firearms in the two years after moving to AZ that I actually have not gotten around to shooting a whole bunch of stuff yet (in fact, I've promised mesef that I won't do another gun show until I have shot every weapon I own!)

The muzzle is in nice shape, esp. since this is a takedown and can be cleaned from the breach.

The inside of the barrel is a lead mine. There might be small amounts of rust, but not much.

Can somebody point me at the best way to restore this barrel w/o damaging it?

It has been said that more 22 rifles have been ruint by poor cleaning than by no cleaning? This one is in the "NONE" category.

~~~~~
    I have access to lab grade DC power supplies and such for electrolytic cleaning, and practically any solvent or mechanical device known to man. I've just never cleaned rimfire barrels.

Got a 30 year old Marlin 60 SS that likely has 2000+/- rounds thru it. E-borescope shows it to be yet another lead mine, as I have never cleaned the barrel.

Still, it shoots like a house afire.
    ->> HAMILTON HAD IT COMING! <--

Copper seems to be the best for purging lead from the barrel. If you feel safe shooting it, shoot some copper plated ammo through it. That should remove the bulk of the lead. If you don't feel safe shooting it, give it a generous soaking of Hoppe's solvent over a few hours - then pull strands from a copper pot scrubbing pad and wrap several strands around a bore brush. You'll want to have a quality cleaning rod because it will take some force to push it through the barrel. The copper is harder than the lead, but softer than the barrel. Add strands of copper until you reach your comfort level of what you can push through your barrel. Usually a few passes will clear the majority of the lead.

After experiencing some lead fouling in the past, I try to end my shooting sessions with a few copper jacketed rounds.
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!