Thread: Very early 110L feeding problem

Very early 110L feeding problem

Mike Britton here,
    I posted earlier about my new to me very early 110L serial # 209XX.
    I'm having a feeding problem wherein if I load 2 or more rounds the first round feeds just fine. When the bolt comes back to ejection it rides over the top of round #2 just barely. A mere touch of round #2 will bring the base up, maybe 1/64th of an inch, enough for the bolt to pick it up.
    I have had the bottom plate off enough to feel like I need vel-cro to hold it on, I have polished the edges of the follower to a mirror finish, I have stretched the spring until I'm afraid to go any farther. I have had the mag body and the ejector out and find no problem with them.
    Now here's the deal. Obviously, since I'm guessing this is at least a 63 model or earlier, it was used when I got it.
    The rifle is in a beautiful custom stock, so I know it has been apart many times and I have no way of knowing what parts are right and what are wrong.
    The follower seems too small, as in too narrow to fit the mag body. Shouldn't it be very nearly the same size as the inside of the mag body? Also, I am missing the flat plate that goes between the bottom plate and the mag body. GPC calls it a mag insert plate, I believe, #73 on their schematic. Do I need that piece? No one has one, if I have to have it I will have to make one.

When I have the parts all together, and function the action with 180 gr. Rem. ammo what I see is the first round coming off as it should, but the next round doesn't come all the way up because the follower seems to cock itself just a bit, maybe a couple of degrees to one side in the mag body.
    The follower should fit tight enough that it will only slide straight up and down in the mag body correct?
    I went to GPC and they have a follower that is a substitute for the original, apparently out of a 110D. It looks altogether different from my follower.
    I guess what I'm asking is that if the follower I have is incorrect it could be causing my feed problem?
    I'm thinking I am over analyzing this and should just buy another follower from GPC and be done with it.
    Maybe I just answered my own question. But I would like some feedback from you guys that have been around these rifles longer than I have, which is almost a week!
    Thanks, Mike

Team Savage

I have an original first year 110 in 30-06 and could post pics of the mag/follower assy if you think it would help. If you want to know year of manufacture for your rifle look at barrel for an oval stamp inside it will be 2 digits and a letter, post the letter.