Thread: Savage 12FV 308 w/MDT XRS & Nikon FX1000 at K&M Precision Rifle Training Cleans 400 to 1000 Yard String

Basic Member

Savage 12FV 308 w/MDT XRS & Nikon FX1000 at K&M Precision Rifle Training Cleans 400 to 1000 Yard String

Last weekend, I took the K&M Precision Rifle Training (Finger, TN) long range course. I originally intended on bringing my Bergara HMR Pro in 6.5 Creedmor, but I couldn't find the necessary 200-220 rounds in time for the event. Instead, thanks to visiting every Walmart in my area, I was able to acquire enough Federal Match 168gr to bring a backup: my Savage 12FV. The 12FV sits in an MDT XRS chassis and is topped with a Nikon FX1000 6-24x50 IR scope. This cheap rifle in a cheap chassis with a cheap scope impressed the hell out of me. The action sucks, but if it ain't accurate!

During K&M's instruction, we gather ballistic data for our rifles. We start getting a solid zero at 100. Then we chrono the round -- to maximize time, only 3 rounds. Probably a fluke, but this factory Federal Sierra Match King BTHP ammo achieved an ES of 3 -- that's right... THREE -- and higher velocity than what the box says (probably thanks to me having a longer barrel than their test rifle). I highly doubt the ES for this factory round is actually 3, but... my goodness if this stuff wasn't dead on all weekend. For what it's worth, during the chrono, the barrel was hot and it was approximately 70* outside and it was cloudy, so there was no sun to bake my rounds in their containers. I wish I could chrono a few more rounds, but I couldn't hog the thing.

Chrono Pic

Once we chrono, we use an app to figure out and then test ballistic data. I used Ballistics AE and came up with the following (rounded to the nearest click value) and this was spot on all weekend. The Federal app (column 1) was off. I didn't get a chance to figure out why the data was so different, but apparently the Ballistics AE takes into account more variables than the basic Federal app.

Data Pic

The first test of the data was a 400 to 1000 yard string, two shots each. Because I had some limited long range experience in PRS and because I wanted to see my rounds hit more easily (less shot up target), I opted to shoot the second from the largest target (dimensions unknown) out of 4 progressively smaller targets at each range point. I hit every single shot all the way to 1000! So I said, screw it, and asked if I could spend a few more rounds trying to hit the tiny target at 1,000 and see about smacking the 1,100 and 1,200 targets. Well, first shot I hit the small circle target at 1,000 almost dead center. Sweet! Shot it again, hit it again. Okay... I'm happy. Went for 1,100 -- the only target I could see in my position was the large one. I barely hit it on the bottom. Okay... so the bullet at 1,100 is starting to fall out of the sky so that makes some sense. I could not for the life of me hit 1,200. I couldn't even see where the round landed that far out. But this $350 rifle (granted, in an aluminum subframe chassis) sent factory ammo 1,000 yards quite well.

Firing Line Pic
    Another One

At the end of the event, we do a mini-PRS event and thanks to an accidental early trigger pull (I still hate the safety trigger... it gets me sometimes) and getting a little too excited thinking I would clean the moving targets and a few other areas, I got 49/60 possible. 1st place was 58/60 with a $4,000+ rifle equipped with a carbon fiber barrel and high dollar optics... so I would expect that! Not to mention, I had multiple malfunctions that screwed me up (the Savage action sucks IMO) and on one stage I set the wrong elevation (the Federal app data vs. the Ballstics AE app data you see above, oops). But, I plan to use this Savage in PRS Tactical class until the barrel poops out. Sadly, it started getting little spots of surface rust during the event (it was raining or humid as hell all weekend). The blueing job on Savage rifles is never that great, IMO. All rifles should be stainless...

Highly recommend this class, if you can swing it. You can use their GA Precision / Kahles / 6.5CM house guns and buy their ammo, but I wanted to use my own gun and it likes the Federal match ammo (and K&M sells Hornady only). FYI: A lot of people had Ruger RPRs and almost all of the owners were fighting the bolt. My rifle was $350... I was fighting the bolt but... $350. Their guns are $1,000+... not acceptable. Anyway, you learn a lot -- enough to feel confident you can long(er) range hunt and make ethical kills, be more competitive in PRS, or just know your gun and optics. The facilities are second to none and you even can sleep in the bunkhouse at no additional charge. The only issue I had was a fellow classmate with a CLEAR medical condition who snored and breathed (when he was breathing) so damn loud I had to leave the clubhouse and sleep in the back of my Tahoe, haha. I got very little sleep all weekend as a result, but... it was an amazing weekend.

Banned
    308 is a great round, but the 175 will out shoot the 168 when you go to distance.

Basic Member
    Yeah... I know. But I couldn't find 200 of them, which I needed for this event.