Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Selecting my first rifle

Basic Member

Yes, I would. There was a lightly used one on GB the other day, but with shipping and the FFL, it would have cost me more than I paid at BassPro!

Ross.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RBT321 View Post
    BP had no Creedmoor at all and Walmart only had these 40 rounds, so it was take-it or leave-it.

Ross.
    There are websites that provide price comparators for online firearms and ammunition sales. For ammo, I use ammoseek.com. Doesn’t seem to be a deal for ammo anywhere these days but at least you can find it if it’s in stock.
    Here’s a link filtered on 6.5 CM, factory new, brass case https://ammoseek.com/ammo/6.5mm-cree...sh=high&co=new. Seems to be a handful of “name brands” available for about $1.35/round and up plus shipping. Shipping prices vary a great deal between vendors so you’ll have to do some arithmetic to find the best deals. Good luck.

Basic Member
    Thanks! I've just placed an order :)

Ross.

Basic Member
    Finally got a picture to share :)

Rifle (now named "Vera" - Firefly ref!), bipod & scope: $550.

Also got a case, Caldwell chronograph, tripod, 1200 yard laser range finder, cleaning gear, bag, cans, all for another $250. In total I went a little over my $700 target, but I'm happy with the kit I've put together. Now all I've got to do is go put something through the barrel...

Thanks to everyone for your advice!

Ross.

Banned
    move the scope forward..i think you may end up wearing it that far back

Basic Member
    Yep, I have already moved it about three notches forward since that pic was taken, to improve the eye relief. It's a cheap scope, and while it appears to be functioning surprisingly well, the left-right, up-down and forward-back position for quality vision for your eye *really* is tight in all directions; maybe 1/2" total movement allowance for forward-back and less than 1/4" for the other directions.

I'm awaiting delivery of a cheek pad/riser, due on Monday, which I'll need before I can nail down my own positioning. But I'm going to break the rifle in while I'm waiting for that, and I can at least begin experimenting with the scope. My learning curve now begins!

Ross.

Basic Member
    I'm awaiting delivery of a cheek pad/riser
    That one turned up; a sleeve with a pocket for a 0.75" high foam riser, but I'm not happy with it, because the riser keeps moving around.

Anyone got a suggestion for an inexpensive riser solution that would work well with a factory stock?

Ross.

Those 20$ kydex cheek risers are fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    That one turned up; a sleeve with a pocket for a 0.75" high foam riser, but I'm not happy with it, because the riser keeps moving around.

Anyone got a suggestion for an inexpensive riser solution that would work well with a factory stock?

Ross.
    I spent a couple bucks on a 6' section of foam pipe insulation, the kind with the slit in it. Cut a short piece and slip it over your stock. I tried this as a temporary fix until I could find something more permanent but I ended up liking it and still use it today on several rifles. Not the most polished looking accessory but it works for my needs at the range. When it wears out or blows away, I just cut a new piece.

Basic Member
    I've got a Kydex kit coming (thanks for the recommendation HK) but in the meantime I'm 3D printing a tie-on riser that I found on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2492653

Another quick question for y'all: Does anyone know where I can find any large rifle primers?

Ross.

Basic Member
    .... Does anyone know where I can find any large rifle primers?

Ross.
    Sorry, I haven't seen any for almost 6 months.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Sorry, I haven't seen any for almost 6 months.
    Thanks! Worth asking :)

Where should I be looking? So far I've been checking Ammoseek and Google. Anywhere else I should put on my list to check regularly? Is it worth adding my name to the "notify me" list on any specific websites such as MidSouth?

Ross.

Banned
    arms list by city and state( not practical to ship primers, they are an explosive)
    buy 1000 pay the price and remember do not get caught short again.
    if biden wins there will be none for a long time

Basic Member
    A lot more than your rifle cost and not a vendor I am familiar with but 5,000 for $500+ (Milsurp?)
    https://fedarm.com/product/primers-boxer-lr/
    Caveat emptor.

Basic Member
    ... Anywhere else I should put on my list to check regularly?
    Also, https://gun.deals/ is a reasonably comprehensive search engine/price comparator for all things firearms related. The search engine is a little kludgy but at times like this when national inventories are near exhausted and you’re not particularly selective about make/model, it’s pretty useful. But it’s a really good resource if you know the specific make/model/caliber or part number and can provide the MPN, SKU, or other inventory ID from the manufacturer website.
    Good hunting.

Basic Member
    Another quick question for y'all: Does anyone know where I can find any large rifle primers?

Ross.[/QUOTE]
    Have you checked/called your local shops? The ones by me have primers(non match) for $35-$45 including small pistol but wont ship.

Basic Member
    Yeah, I checked every shop - big and small - that I could find within about 60 miles of here. There may be some on the far side of Orlando that I missed, but after dozens on "no" responses, I gave up on that avenue.

Mike suggested Arms List, and that was what worked - thanks Mike! Picked up 1,400 large rifle primers last night, from a local seller.

Also found a source for H4350 online too. Steep hazmat shipping cost, but it is what it is, so I'm placing an order tonight.

Ross.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123