Thread: 10 versus 12, 110 versus 112 receivers?

10 versus 12, 110 versus 112 receivers?

Correct me if I am wrong but are the 12 and 112 Savage receivers just a short and long action clones of the 10 and 110 but threaded for the large shank barrels?

Will they fit the same stocks? Are they a better foundation for a heavier target rifle?

I still haven't quite figured out all the different Savage receiver options (obviously)... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geneackley View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but are the 12 and 112 Savage receivers just a short and long action clones of the 10 and 110
    Yes - same with the 11/111, 14/114, and 16/116.

but threaded for the large shank barrels?
    Not necessarily. Depends on what model the action is from. The "Target" series Model 12/112's will all be threaded for a large shank barrel. The Model 12/112's that made up the old Varmint Series (12 VLP, 12 BVSS, 12FV, etc) will all be small shank UNLESS they were originally chambered in .300 WSM.

Will they fit the same stocks? Are they a better foundation for a heavier target rifle?
    Same stocks all else being the same (bolt release location, screw spacing, etc)

I still haven't quite figured out all the different Savage receiver options (obviously)... Thanks
    Welcome to the wonderfully messed up and confusing world of Savage! LOL At least Savage has mostly gotten away from the old alphabet soup model designations in recent years.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Hey, I like the alphabet soup stuff. :) At least if someone had a 'V' or 'T' model I knew what they were. Well, maybe not all the time :)

Kinda like the 10/110 designation. And the 10, 11, 12, etc. Nice if they had always used it. Not so much when it changed during different eras.

Thanks!!!

Ok then, lets cut to the chase:

If I wanted to build a LARGE SHANK, precision target or tactical, BOTTOM DETACHABLE MAGAZINE FED, long action Savage rifle... what would be the right / best SAVAGE RECEIVER to get???? A 112 T???

Cause that's where I want to go eventually!

Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geneackley View Post
    Thanks!!!

Ok then, lets cut to the chase:

If I wanted to build a LARGE SHANK, precision target or tactical, BOTTOM DETACHABLE MAGAZINE FED, long action Savage rifle... what would be the right / best SAVAGE RECEIVER to get???? A 112 T???

Cause that's where I want to go eventually!

Thanks
    Why do you want a Large shank action? Other than a 3 screw single shot Target action, a Repeater action really doesn't do anything better than a Standard shank action.

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    Why do you want a Large shank action? Other than a 3 screw single shot Target action, a Repeater action really doesn't do anything better than a Standard shank action.

"I am not sure that I really want one" because unfortunately I still don't really understand what is what in the Savage world...

I came here wanting to build a nice "Savage Tactical Tack Driver" a couple of weeks back and FORTUNATELY you steered me to the Nucleus receiver that by the way, I should have in my hands tomorrow afternoon. So I am very grateful to you for your guidance cause it promises to be a really, really nice gun.

I also got my KRG Bravo stock yesterday and spent the evening figuring out how to install the spacer for the AIC long action mags.... it's in pretty good now. ha ha !

But back to the subject at hand; I am still quite in the dark about Savages, and now I am even finding Savage barrels, bolt heads or complete bolts and stocks on ebay!!!

In fact, I saw a large shank, brand new, unfired 6.5 PRC barrel out there a couple of days ago!!!!

So suddenly, "the rifle builder in me" started thinking of yet another possible project to build slowly as parts come around... but then again, I still dont really know what action works with what, which action can take detachable box mags, which kind of stock it works in, etc.

So in other words, I am looking at possible future options if suddenly the RIGHT BARREL or action comes up!!! But in order to make that decision, I will first need to better understand Savages so I don't pick up the wrong part... Hence my line of inquiry!

Gee, I hope that makes sense and is not too goofy!!! ha ha ha!!! If so, I apologize; I spent the first 23 years of my life in Europe and it has caused me some problems in Texas sometimes!!! ha ha ha !!!

Good evening my friends!!

Gene

Basic Member
    Here are two places to look for more information that might answer your questions.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/actions/savage/

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths

One of the most popular actions I've used to start a build is found on the Cabelas/Bass Pro Savage model 12FV. This is a small shank, 4.4 screw spaced, top release action that will operate as a blind feed, or a removable magazine feed, or even single shot if you install the Sharpshooter Supply single shot sled. This action has the advantage of many aftermarket stocks, scope ring rails, and can be found in left and right hand models.

In days gone bye, Cabelas would have the 12FV on sale for as low as $349 and there would be a $100 rebate from Savage, meaning you could pay under $250 OTD for a great donor rifle. I'd sell the new barrel, pitch the plastic stock and start my build with an action I paid less than $150 for.

Time will tell if we see those kind of prices return, but even at the more common sale price of $349, you've got a fairly inexpensive start and a lot of options.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    He may want a large shank depending on the cartridge size he's after. Just speculating. As far as long action large shanks, the only ones I'm aware of that are currently produced are the 338 Lapua actions and the ones chambered for 375 Ruger. The 375 Ruger actions are not target actions though. Target action or not, mine shoots extremely well.

Thank you. The 12 FV seems to be what I need then if I go small shank....

Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    He may want a large shank depending on the cartridge size he's after. Just speculating. As far as long action large shanks, the only ones I'm aware of that are currently produced are the 338 Lapua actions and the ones chambered for 375 Ruger. The 375 Ruger actions are not target actions though. Target action or not, mine shoots extremely well.
    The barrel I saw on ebay the other night was clearly marked as large shank and 6.5 PRC. I wonder what Savage receiver would take that monster and work with a detachable bottom box mag???

Again thanks!!!

Basic Member
    The 6.5 PRC is a short action round so it would have come from one of the large shank short actions.