Thread: Who offers inleting services for new takeoff stocks.

Who offers inleting services for new takeoff stocks.

I have a couple of Savage takeoff stocks I would like to have cut out to accept OEM bottom metal. Does anyone offer this service and if so what is their contact information.

Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlasure2 View Post
    I have a couple of Savage takeoff stocks I would like to have cut out to accept OEM bottom metal. Does anyone offer this service and if so what is their contact information.

Thanks
    Its pretty easy to do, just get some black paint even carbon copy sheets work really well, cover the metal of the reciever where your wanting to inlet then use course to fine wood rasps to remove the wood where the paint or carbon transfers onto the stock. It can be time consuming but its not that advanced of a task to just have to take your time and always remove less than you need until you have a snug even fit

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    Its pretty easy to do, just get some black paint even carbon copy sheets work really well, cover the metal of the reciever where your wanting to inlet then use course to fine wood rasps to remove the wood where the paint or carbon transfers onto the stock. It can be time consuming but its not that advanced of a task to just have to take your time and always remove less than you need until you have a snug even fit

If stocks are black you would want to use some type of white transfer, ive found chalk does ok:)

Basic Member
    You would want to DIY this.
    Likely will cost more than the stock is worth, if you can find someone that wants to do it- especially with OEM bottom metal.

Basic Member
    I would DIY something like that myself i reckon but then again I have access to all needed tools and help if I needed it. I have inletted by hand before andnits just time consuming not to difficult

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    You would want to DIY this.
    Likely will cost more than the stock is worth, if you can find someone that wants to do it- especially with OEM bottom metal.
    ^^this. You can get a new Boyd's stock for less than the cost of the service.

Inletting, even for an expert, is a very time consuming process. No fancy tools needed, just a lot of patience.

Thankyou for the replies and yes I agree it is fairly straight forward DYI project. Actually it is a project I tackled many times before I was married with 3 children and working full time and coaching kids in sports. Needless to say I do not have the time for a project like this anymore and I will not take the time away from the family, That is why I was hoping to find someone to offer this service. It sounds like I may be better off buying a stock that is already cutout for DBM.

Basic Member
    Thankyou for the replies and yes I agree it is fairly straight forward DYI project. Actually it is a project I tackled many times before I was married with 3 children and working full time and coaching kids in sports. Needless to say I do not have the time for a project like this anymore and I will not take the time away from the family, That is why I was hoping to find someone to offer this service. It sounds like I may be better off buying a stock that is already cutout for DBM.
    I know a guy around the Plainfield area, thats probably pretty far

Basic Member
    It sounds like I may be better off buying a stock that is already cutout for DBM.
    Yessir, you will.
    The time involved in a milling machine setup, and then executing the work would be at least a couple of hours of shop time in my estimation which would exceed the value of the stock.

CDI (sadly, not around any more) used to inlet stocks for free when buying the bottom metal from him- what a smokin' deal that was, done by CNC and perfectly inletted.

possibly a trade plus cash.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.