Thread: Scope Recommendations

Scope Recommendations

Hi New here. I will be getting a new Savage Mark II BTVS .22cal LR soon. What scope would you suggest for bench shooting between 25 and 100 yards (maybe out to 150 max as I hopefully get better at it. I have a Nikons Rimfire 3-9x40 BDC on my CZ 457 Varmint MTR but have not sighted it in yet as it is a new arrival.
    Many thanks for any advice. JB

Basic Member
    Hi JB - I just got a B22 this month, and I took the 2-month old Bushnell Engage 6-18x50 off my RemSPS-TAC .308 and mounted it on the B22. My only regret is that I didn't get the 6-24 x50 ! My first shots were at 50 yds and I had it zeroed within 10 shots. Now getting consistent sub-1", with a few sub-1/2'" scattered thru. Your Mark II should be able to do this too. Just get an 20x or better, especially if you plan to do 100 +. My scope has MOA 'bars' and I can zero at 100 within a few shots, depending on the ammo. I'll recommend also that you buy a few diff brands of .22 SV to find the best for your gun - even for the 100 yd shots.
    BTW - If you plan to hunt, save the 3-9 for that, maybe on a larger cal gun. Get a 20+ for your CZ also, you'll be glad you did.
    Best luck,
    Ed

Thanks Fasteddie01 I am going to start looking at Bushnell Scopes/ JB

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JB77 View Post
    Hi New here. I will be getting a new Savage Mark II BTVS .22cal LR soon. What scope would you suggest for bench shooting between 25 and 100 yards (maybe out to 150 max as I hopefully get better at it. I have a Nikons Rimfire 3-9x40 BDC on my CZ 457 Varmint MTR but have not sighted it in yet as it is a new arrival.
    Many thanks for any advice. JB
    I have the Nikon Rimfire 3-9X40 BDC on my Savage Mark II BV. I use this rifle at bench matches (50 & 100 yard matches). I have the same scope installed on my A22, which I use at Tactical matches (35 to 135 yards). I like the BDC on the tactical matches. I have 80 seconds to fire 10 to 15 rounds and the stage may have targets set at 75 yards and another at 100 or at 35 yards. The BDC (bubbles) makes it quick to engage targets at various distances. I also use the A22 at KYL matches. The scope works for me. I don't think Nikon is making them any more.

Thanks Don G The dealer I use says that Nikon is slowly getting out of the rifle scope business. He is suggesting the Bushnell Line which I will start to look at while enjoying my Nikon.
    JB

Basic Member
    Hey JB - The dealer is right. Nikon is out of making scopes - just what's on the shelves. Nothing new. If you have a nikon and it breaks, they'll give you binocs or something else if they don't have a comparable scope sitting around. Enjoy your scope and "pamper' it - They're really good, but now irreplaceable when stock runs out.

If you're looking for a budget priced scope, I bought this 4-16 x 44 for my Mark II G - and am pretty happy with it. It has some nice features for a $54 scope and I've had no issues with it holding zero - even using quick-lock mounts.

The adjustable parallax is my favorite feature, as I shoot from different yardage depending on who I'm shooting with or what I'm shooting at.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

Thanks Bar Nuthin: Will look at it. Also looking at the Nikon P5 3-12x44SF BDC, granted a bit more $$ but I have had good luck with my other Nikon scope. I know they are getting out of the Scope business. All I plan to do is to bench shoot so the gun and scope will be babied.
    JB

I bought an Athlon Neos 4-12 with the side adjustable parralax. Very reasonable price and very clear glass. I bought it for my B22FV-SR, waiting on rifle. Kind of bought the cart before the horse lol

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Start with Bushnell trophy series first if you go that route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a reticle with a representation of a measurement. Preferably Christmas tree style reticle.
    Take good notes at the range where bullets are impacting and nothing should slow you down from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Hey JB - Hamilton has a point. If you're looking at distance especially. A scope with mil-dot or MOA will give you better adjustments than BDC. I have BDC on hunting rifles, but target I find it's better to use MOA. YMMV
    ED