Thread: DIY Model 12 Stock

DIY Model 12 Stock

I have a Savage Model 12 and I hate the cheap plastic stock it came with. I couldn't find anything I really liked online, so I decided I would try to make my own wood stock. I laminated an Oak core with some Catalpa on the outside (Oak is hard and dense so a great back bone and the Catalpa is lighter with a nice grain, plus, I had plenty of each so I wouldn't be out any cash if this turned out to be a disaster). The wood I used was kiln dried, and I have actually had this stuff for about 20 years so I knew it was stable and dry. I used a digital caliper to measure and reproduce the in-letting from the factory plastic stock and made pillars out of brass 3/8 inch barb fittings epoxied into the Oak. I then epoxied bi-axial fiber glass cloth to all the inner surfaces of the in-letting to increase rigidity and seal the wood, then bedded the action in JB-Weld steel reinforced Epoxy. The barrel is completely free-floated, and the recoil lug bedded solidly in epoxy. I in-letted for the original blind magazine, but I always like to shoot single shot so I also made a sled-style single shot feed ramp that drops in place of the magazine. When I cut out the stock, I left the length of pull long, then once I had all the carving done I gradually shaved down the butt stock until it fit my arm perfectly. The adjustable cheek riser was made using some 1/4 inch stainless steel rod, more brass barbs for the shafts, then nut-serts with allen inserts to lock it in place. For the finish, I used Rit Dye to dye the wood first graphite, then a couple light washes of navy blue, and finally a semi-gloss clear coat to give it sort of a chameleon effect. Depending on the light, it looks Grey, Black, Blue, or some combination of all three.

I made a few mistakes along the way, and when I did, I just ran the stock through the jointer to square it up and glued on new wood. Took me about a week working on it in the evenings after work, and it was really satisfying work. I learned a lot from this first stock and already have 3 more in progress. I am pleased with the way it turned out for my first one and am excited to incorporate what I learned on new ones going forward. Once I get good, I might switch over from free leftover wood and try something a little more exotic.

gif upload site

post a picture

Basic Member
    Nice work! Your skills are admirable. Do you have any in-progress photos from this project?

Basic Member
    Nicely done!

Basic Member
    Very Nice
    Thanks for sharing
    Jack

Beautiful stock, excellent work! Let us know how it shoots. What caliber is it?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Way to go, i would have shied away from the cheek riser on my first attempt, but it all looks good.
    Next thing you need is a duplicator. lol

Basic Member
    Nicely done, a lot of skills involved in such a project.

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Beautiful stock, excellent work! Let us know how it shoots. What caliber is it?
    Thanks for the compliments! It's chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. Shot it today to start breaking in the barrel. It is shooting 1/2 MOA with cheap Winchester ammo. The stock is nice and heavy so there is very little felt recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    Nice work! Your skills are admirable. Do you have any in-progress photos from this project?
    Thanks! I did not take photos, but I enjoyed making this one so much I have started two more. I will take pictures along the way this time.

impressive.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Beautiful job, when you did the inletting did you make a jig to use a router? or was it all freehand, as an ex-cabinet maker I'm always amazed at the talent for woodworking, myself I don't have the patience for a project like this.

Basic Member
    Nice job. Gave me an idea for one of mine too!

Basic Member
    Very nice, You have some very good skill and patience.