Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I get my new bolt to run smooth and slick?

How do I get my new bolt to run smooth and slick?

Hello, did a quick search and could not find anything. On my 16ish year old .223 Savage Model 12 the bolt runs buttery smooth like it is sliding along on ice. I wanted to switch to 6.5 Creedmoor, and instead of doing a rebarrel I just built a whole new rifle (by built I mean I picked up a model 12FV from Cabelas, made a new laminate stock, and added a scope). The bolt on the new rifle sounds kinda rough and crunchy compared to my old one. Any tips on what I need to do to break in the new bolt so it runs smooth like the old one? I have cycled the bolt a couple hundred times with a good coating of grease in the action, but I don't remember doing much more than that on my old one. Thanks for any advice!

Tarter control toothpaste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Just use this one for 15-16 years and it should be GTG!

I would think there are areas that can be polished but have never done that.

Banned
    LOL! Like the above says, polish ‘er up! What exactly is it you feel? Beginning/end of travel? The entire actuation? Are you by any chance confusing stiff bolt lift?

If it’s just general grittiness you feel, I would do like WMD recommends. Perhaps has some flashing on edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    LOL! Like the above says, polish ‘er up! What exactly is it you feel? Beginning/end of travel? The entire actuation? Are you by any chance confusing stiff bolt lift?

If it’s just general grittiness you feel, I would do like WMD recommends. Perhaps has some flashing on edges.
    Yes, just general grittiness. It's the interface between the bolt head and action on the tang end. It smooths up about an inch or so before going into battery and locks up tight and smooth when closing the bolt. I don't believe it affects function or accuracy in a negative way, I am just particular about things and want it to run smooth like my older one. So, to polish, would a Dremel with a cloth buffing wheel and Mothers wheel polish (the same way I do all my trigger contact surfaces on a new gun) be the appropriate tool?

If you have a way to break the bolt rear entry port angles it can make a improvement. Low angle is good. Jewlers files help are what I use.

Also a MDT Diamond Whetstone in Red or green slid back and forth on the bolt raceway will knock down rough machining ridges if there are any.

https://www.dmtonlinestore.com/4-Dia...ne-P41C11.aspx

That combination is the best you can do without buying a larger diameter bolt body. Fluted bolt bodies will make it significantly worse unless it is the type of fluting Fred Moreo does/did on the ones he sold.

The toothpaste may buy you something but I don't have any experience with that. I know it works wonders on a Ruger American.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    MDT Diamond Whetstone in Red or green slid back and forth on the bolt raceway will knock down rough machining ridges if there are any.
    ^^ I did this to my 116 WW. It cleaned up pretty good.

My Model 10 223, I took a buffer wheel on a Dremel to to the bolt body. I won't post pics or pretend to be an expert but it worked. It is possible the surface on the bolt body is nasty where the cocking pin rides. I used my imagination and buffed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    ^^ I did this to my 116 WW. It cleaned up pretty good.

My Model 10 223, I took a buffer wheel on a Dremel to to the bolt body. I won't post pics or pretend to be an expert but it worked. It is possible the surface on the bolt body is nasty where the cocking pin rides. I used my imagination and buffed it.
    I pulled the bolt out of the receiver to see about polishing the rails, and saw that the machining on the inside of the receiver is horrible. The scratches are deep enough that they will snag your fingernail and they have transferred to the bolt head (which also now has scratches deep enough to snag your fingernail). This rifle has never been fired, bought new at Cabela's a week ago. I am emailing savage with this photo; surely this is a defect. The inside of my other Model 12 is smooth as glass.

Banned
    or you could by a stiller action and bypass fixing the rifle you bought.
    ouch
    just saying

Quote Originally Posted by bassnailer View Post
    I pulled the bolt out of the receiver to see about polishing the rails, and saw that the machining on the inside of the receiver is horrible. The scratches are deep enough that they will snag your fingernail and they have transferred to the bolt head (which also now has scratches deep enough to snag your fingernail). This rifle has never been fired, bought new at Cabela's a week ago. I am emailing savage with this photo; surely this is a defect. The inside of my other Model 12 is smooth as glass.

It shouldn’t be like that but you didn’t inspect it?

Basic Member

When I bought my 12FV, they brought one from the the store room in back and I asked to see it before they started the paperwork. The bolt was rough and nasty so I asked them to bring me another one. The second one was just as bad so I ended up buying the display model which was pretty smooth. I'm a Savage fan but, their fit and finish sometimes leaves something to be desired.

Basic Member
    One of the last 12FVs I got looked like yours and was the least smooth of the many I have bought. I just lived with it and polished the rail with a whetstone and ran a JB paste coated bolt through it a zillion times. It continues to get smoother as I shoot. Don't know why I never complained to Savage...but it was only $220 after the rebate and discounts.

Brass brush for a 12ga bore in a drill and some heavy grit tooth paste is what I have used in many bolt body’s, actions, 10/22 housings and even chambers.
    Then powered graphite.

Works pretty good.
    Those 12fvs are machined so fast they usually don’t do a good job of cleaning them up afterwards.
    Cheers

Banned
    That machining is on the more rough side of seen, but we are talking about very inexpensive rifles. I’ve been a Savage guy since I was 18 & bought my first. And I enjoy “fixing” firearms, LOL.

As for Toothpaste, I’ve don’t understand why it continues coming up. I mean, a 1/2” ratchet can work as a hammer....but I prefer using an ACTUAL hammer when I need one. We can easily go online & find compound paste in various coarseness. It’s not expensive, & is the correct tool for the job. So continuing to bring up toothpaste is nonsensical. I honestly believe it just keeps being regurgitated through ignorance.

Surfaces like the bolt/action & such are fine to use a Dremel on. However, I’m not a fan of using it on trigger components. Trigger surfaces need to be perfectly flat. The Dremel doesn’t do flat so well.

I’ve used toothpaste to polish slides on several 1911’s. It works great and cleans off easily. Lapping compound tends to get everywhere requiring total disassembly which I’ll admit isn’t much of an issue in a bolt gun as long as you keep it out of the trigger. As for the ignorance comment, take a hard look in the mirror, you’re it.

Haven't heard back from Savage yet, but decided to shoot it today. I disassembled everything and clamped the action in a vise (with MDF blocks to protect it). I then milled a bar out of Hickory which matches the lug profiles perfectly, but about .002 small to make room for sand paper. I wrapped it in 600 grit wet or dry paper, then used some WD-40 to lubricate it. I ran the bar back and forth across the race ways to polish them a bit (staying away from the lug surfaces near the chamber). Cleaned everything up, greased the bolt, and put it back together. Bolt runs smooth as silk now, and everything functions perfectly. The deeper of the tooling marks are still visible, but no longer can be felt. I shot the rifle this afternoon, and brand new with cheap Winchester 125 grain White box ammo it is shooting 1/2 MOA. So, now I must decide if I am better off with cosmetic defects on the inside of the action of a gun which shoots great, or if I want to take my chances with a replacement.

Basic Member
    Toothpaste works well because the abrasive component is pumice. Pumice breaks down and will not embed in the steel. Besides that, it is easy to find at the local store with a huge selection. My favorite is Pearl Drops Tooth polish. Used many a tube breaking in muzzle loading barrels.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Toothpaste works well because the abrasive component is pumice. Pumice breaks down and will not embed in the steel. Besides that, it is easy to find at the local store with a huge selection. My favorite is Pearl Drops Tooth polish. Used many a tube breaking in muzzle loading barrels.
    And who doesn’t like a minty fresh smelling rifle?

I have used pearl drops also but have not seen it in years. That stuff was pretty good at getting coffee stains off your teeth too.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I have used pearl drops also but have not seen it in years. That stuff was pretty good at getting coffee stains off your teeth too.
    It’s still available on Amazon

Polished my action with Cratex tips that go on a Dremel. Also some compound on a fleece wheel works as well. The sky is the limit when it comes to polishing an action. Just don't be dumb about it and take your time.

Basic Member
    Haven't heard back from Savage yet, but decided to shoot it today. I disassembled everything and clamped the action in a vise (with MDF blocks to protect it). I then milled a bar out of Hickory which matches the lug profiles perfectly, but about .002 small to make room for sand paper. I wrapped it in 600 grit wet or dry paper, then used some WD-40 to lubricate it. I ran the bar back and forth across the race ways to polish them a bit (staying away from the lug surfaces near the chamber). Cleaned everything up, greased the bolt, and put it back together. Bolt runs smooth as silk now, and everything functions perfectly. The deeper of the tooling marks are still visible, but no longer can be felt. I shot the rifle this afternoon, and brand new with cheap Winchester 125 grain White box ammo it is shooting 1/2 MOA. So, now I must decide if I am better off with cosmetic defects on the inside of the action of a gun which shoots great, or if I want to take my chances with a replacement.
    You did exactly the right thing by sanding. Now all you have to do is apply cold bluing and you'll never see the repair. The groove on the ejector side is also a problem. I suspect they sped up their EDM process to meet production goals. My BVSS is silky smooth, so they can indeed do a good job when they want to.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    You did exactly the right thing by sanding. Now all you have to do is apply cold bluing and you'll never see the repair. The groove on the ejector side is also a problem. I suspect they sped up their EDM process to meet production goals. My BVSS is silky smooth, so they can indeed do a good job when they want to.
    I’m sure they are cut on a cnc a dull tool and poor qc look exactly like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    It’s still available on Amazon

cool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast