Thread: Savage 55156 Magazine

Savage 55156 Magazine

Hi,

I just got a 110 Hunter model which uses the 55156 magazine. I'm having a lot of trouble getting the last round to feed, and the next to last will occasionally misfeed; rounds 1 and 2 never seem to be a problem.

I searched the forum and ended up doing a very small "pinch" to the back wings and this helped a little bit, but it's still "iffy".

Are these mags inherently wonky? I mean it could be me or the ammo, but if anyone has any experience with these mags, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Thanks,

Paolo

Does it strip the round out of the magazine but not align with the chamber, or is it not stripping the round out of the magazine.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

First two rounds feed reliably.

The third round will typically tip up and bind as it enters the chamfer at the chamber. When it does this, it often catches the last round and drags it along, causing a "traffic jam".

The last round usually takes a second short push to finish the chambering.

If I’m lazy on drawing the bolt, it will sometimes fail to strip the last round as well.

I'm thinking that it’s lip spacing issue, but not which way to adjust it and how far along the axis.

Sent an email to Savage: no reply

Try to open both the front and the rear lips. A little at a time.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I'll try that. Thanks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinghiale View Post
    First two rounds feed reliably.

The third round will typically tip up and bind as it enters the chamfer at the chamber. When it does this, it often catches the last round and drags it along, causing a "traffic jam".

The last round usually takes a second short push to finish the chambering.

If I’m lazy on drawing the bolt, it will sometimes fail to strip the last round as well.

I'm thinking that it’s lip spacing issue, but not which way to adjust it and how far along the axis.

Sent an email to Savage: no reply
    If you can get ahold of someone at Savage customer service, report your issue and they will most likely offer to send you a new magazine. I don't know if that will solve your particular issue but, it's easy enough for you to try. I had a different type of feeding issue on a new 10T and right off the bat, they wanted to send a new mag without any questions. In my case, it solved the problem.

I decided to wait and eventually straightened out my service request with Savage (my fault, not theirs).

They sent me a new magazine which has issues with different rounds (sequence) in the magazine.

Old magazine.

New magazine.

Are those dummy rounds you bought somewhere? I keep trying to pause the video and see a weird colored orange tip. If yes, take that rifle to a safe place and cycle real factory ammo through it. Those dummy rounds are not right (In My Experience). They will do all kinds of weird stuff while cycling the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    Are those dummy rounds you bought somewhere? I keep trying to pause the video and see a weird colored orange tip. If yes, take that rifle to a safe place and cycle real factory ammo through it. Those dummy rounds are not right (In My Experience). They will do all kinds of weird stuff while cycling the rifle.
    They are purchased, and they have really taken a beating while troubleshooting. The dummies are from ST Action Pro.

The first magazine had the same issues cycling real ammo through it as it did with the dummies.

(Federal American Eagle 55g and that Russian Tula 62g stuff which I'm not crazy about, but I'm down to my last 20 rounds of Federal and the Russian stuff is all I can get at the moment. Plus, I don't know if it's necessary, but I clean the barrel and chamber out when switching between the two which is a PITA).

I haven't put live ammo through the second magazine yet, but I agree: I'd rather be testing with live ammo on the second mag. With the days shortening, it's tough to get to the range on weekdays.

I'll see what Savage says in the meantime.

Thanks.

Just to close this out:

I went to the range this weekend and put 4 dozen rounds through the rifle with the replacement magazine.

No misfeeds. I had two cases of failure to pickup the round, but I think that was because I didn't tap the rounds back against rear wall of the mag before inserting into the rifle. If they sit a little forward in the mag, they won't get picked up.

I think the dummy rounds took a beating troubleshhoting the first mag so they weren't giving a good indication of how the mag would perform with real ammo. I'm tossing them.

I sent the old mag back. The older mag had noticeable tighter lip spacing than the working replacement and a little bit of play in the base.

Anyway, for now, all seems good and the rifle is shooting well: I'm closing in on 1" groups at 100yds, and I'm pretty sure I'm the reason I'm not there yet.

Thanks for the help and comments.