Thread: Precision Target Trigger Interchangeably

Basic Member

Precision Target Trigger Interchangeably

I have two spare red-blade target triggers taken off precision target actions (PTA). While on the PTA I could adjust the pull weight down to about 8 ounces and maintain reliability. However, when I put one of the precision triggers on a standard Model 10 (with Accu-trigger) it won’t adjust below 1.5 pounds. The spring is fully bottomed out against the lever arm and the tiny protrusion at the top of the spring is in the proper hole in the frame.
    Any thoughts on why it doesn’t have the same adjustment range as it would on the precision action?

Basic Member
    Did you swap the sear also? The precision Target Action sear has a dimple in the metal just under the thumb tab. If you did not use the Target Action sear, you don't have a true target action trigger and you will not get the light set. FWIW, my Target Action trigger will set down to about one ounce, but I suspect that when Fred Moran at SSS built it, he honed the sear. It is incredibly light and reliable .
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Banned
    One Ounce?? Wow! That’s the first time I’ve ever even hfeard that.... much less that 1 ounce would somehow be reliable! Gotta love the wonderful world of interweb Storytellingl

I do think he is correct about your sear though.

Texas10 is one of the last contributors I would call a liar.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Thanks, Robinhood. Much appreciate your vote of confidence. I purchased this SSS built 6mmBR largely due to your confidence in seller and the rifle itself.

I seriously cannot measure the pull weight on this trigger installed by and probably tuned by Fred Moreo, but in closely watching my finger on the trigger, as I depress the red blade safety and my finger make first contact with the trigger, as soon as I add any pressure it breaks clean. So the spring weight on the safety blade is almost, but not quite enough to break the shot. I do have to close the bolt somewhat carefully to avoid tripping the safety, but most times I have no problem while shooting it.

FWIW, I have retrofitted several of my model 12 small shank actions with red blade Target Accutriggers I have purchased off the classified boards here. It's an easy, 5 minute job. The one I have on my 6.5 CM and used in my first score match last month has a break point below the 6oz my trigger pull gage will measure. I have to be careful when switching rifles on the range that I don't break the shot before I intend, as often I do for the first several shots.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Banned
    See... the truth sounds so much better.

Basic Member
    Fred Moran,
    i believe you mean “Sharpshooter” Fred Moreo??

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Thanks, Robinhood. Much appreciate your vote of confidence. I purchased this SSS built 6mmBR largely due to your confidence in seller and the rifle itself.
    Awesome!!!! So how does it shoot?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nksmfamjp View Post
    i believe you mean “Sharpshooter” Fred Moreo??

Yes, sorry for the typo. I've edited to correct.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Awesome!!!! So how does it shoot?
    I'm just now getting some loads developed using 107 SMK's and 88 gr Berger FB varmint/target. The 107's are dialing in nicely, ones and twos at 100 yds if the nut behind the bolt is paying attention. The 88's are proving to be a bit more touchy. Can't quite decide to load to a lower node, or go hotter and try to find a high node, and whether to jump or jamb. Decisions, decisions......

I'll be using it in 100 yd Hunter/Varmint (?) score competition at a local club.

Basic Member
    On the one ounce thing.

The only way I was able to measure under 8 oz. was the following on an Anschutz 54 in .22lr.

I got a plastic bag, a tie string and some salt.

I weighed the bag and string on a scale.

I tied then to the trigger. It was a PITA to make sure it was on the bottom of the trigger itself, no trigger guard and the rifle at about a 60 degree angle upwards. I then added salt in the tiniest amounts until the trigger broke. I then weighed the bag, string and salt and minused the bag and string. I then repeated and then again and then did it with the action out, same angle and again and again. Weights were consistent. I got the pull from 2 oz. to 3 oz, which was as light as I would dare. This is a bench gun only.

To get back on topic, the red blade trigger is basically just a color difference to identify it’s a target trigger without taking the gun apart... for factory applications of course.... But it is the sear and the rear spring that is what’s different in comparison to a standard accutrigger, and what gives it the lighter pull weight.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood