Thread: Soft primer strike problem is rearing its head

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Soft primer strike problem is rearing its head

During the first and second firings of my Savage Axis HB in .223, I had probably a total of 7 soft primer hits.

I read the thread on soft primer strikes and their treatment, but can't really recall what was done - IIRC some of the respondents said that they took the bolt apart and reseated the springs and modified some washers, is that correct?

I'd rather not send the rifle to Savage for repair - it's a colossal PITA to do this. What did you do to fix yours?

Doing some research made me recall what rounds were failing... I am sure they were my handloads, with CCI primers. These handloads were made with Lee Full-Length Sizing Dies. I wonder if the full-length resizing I did set the shoulders back a little too far and I have a slightly more generous headspace in my chamber in the Savage? Could be the round is "scooting ahead" in the chamber under the impact of the firing pin.

I will also measure my firing pin protrusion and report that back here. I am using a Lyman Case Length Gauge to evaluate the re-sizing of my rounds.

Keep in mind I reload those for the ARs, never having intended on using them in the bolt gun... I have 60 shells once-fired in the Axis... I will neck size these and shoot them to see if they all fire with the CCI primers. If so, I may have my answer.

Basic Member
    Which CCI primers? My Axis will also have light strikes if I shoot 5.56 rounds that have hard primers, but I never have issues with factory .223 rounds....or my handloads with CCI 400's in them. And are your primers seated fully into the brass? And before anyone says anything my Axis has a Wylde chambered barrel so I can safely load both...

Basic Member
    I have never had a light primer strike before. I shoot nothing but my own reloads. With the current panic buying I bought 1000 CCI primers and today I had 3 misfires with what looked like light strikes. I do know that CCI primers are harder and may be designed for AR 15 with its floting fireing pin. Some of the Federal #6 primers will cause Slam Fires in the AR.

You have two paths. Pic one and follow it.
    Measure your shoulder length and confirm it is correct. Dry fire with primed brass to test.
    Rebuild your bolt to look for issues. Dry fire with primed brass to test.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

After around 200 hand loads thru my 243 Axis I started experiencing light primer strikes. I tried polishing the FP and the inside of the bolt w/o it doing any good. I had my LGS order new springs from Savage and the problem went away.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Hello, I hope that I can help. I am an accredited gunsmith in southern Alberta. A client brought me an Axis in .223 Rem with exactly the same problem. Inconsistent firing pin indents on the primer, thus misfires. Upon very close inspection of the bolt fully disassembled, I notice drag marks on the firing pin at the point where it passes through the 1/4″ cross pin which secures the rotating and fixed bolt heads. I checked firing pin runout on my lathe at the point where is passes though the cross pin. This measured 0.095″. The hole through the pin measures 0.105″ this allowing a 0.010″ clearance. The firing pin runout measured 0.013″ with a digital dial indicator. This would then mean a 0.003″ interference which can cause the drag marks and restrict proper striking. I opened up the cross pin hole from 0.105″ to 0.147″ using a carbide #26 drill bit. The client has reported back to me and indicated that a dozen rounds did not show any more problems. The cross pin is actually a very loose fit. When pressure is relieve from the wave washer, the pin can drop out on it’s own. As such, if the pin is not perfectly lined up center of bore, it can cause interference with such a small clearance of 0.010″. Furthermore, the pin being such a loose fit, can rotate again causing interference. As a side note and warning to do it yourself guys. The drill MUST be carbide as the pin is hard, standard tool steel bits may not cut it. And it’s a precision job, the original hole must be perfectly centered in the vice jaws. I use a milling machine to do this job and not a drill press and certainly not a cordless. Good luck.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HRGX View Post
    Hello, I hope that I can help. I am an accredited gunsmith in southern Alberta. A client brought me an Axis in .223 Rem with exactly the same problem. Inconsistent firing pin indents on the primer, thus misfires. Upon very close inspection of the bolt fully disassembled, I notice drag marks on the firing pin at the point where it passes through the 1/4″ cross pin which secures the rotating and fixed bolt heads. I checked firing pin runout on my lathe at the point where is passes though the cross pin. This measured 0.095″. The hole through the pin measures 0.105″ this allowing a 0.010″ clearance. The firing pin runout measured 0.013″ with a digital dial indicator. This would then mean a 0.003″ interference which can cause the drag marks and restrict proper striking. I opened up the cross pin hole from 0.105″ to 0.147″ using a carbide #26 drill bit. The client has reported back to me and indicated that a dozen rounds did not show any more problems. The cross pin is actually a very loose fit. When pressure is relieve from the wave washer, the pin can drop out on it’s own. As such, if the pin is not perfectly lined up center of bore, it can cause interference with such a small clearance of 0.010″. Furthermore, the pin being such a loose fit, can rotate again causing interference. As a side note and warning to do it yourself guys. The drill MUST be carbide as the pin is hard, standard tool steel bits may not cut it. And it’s a precision job, the original hole must be perfectly centered in the vice jaws. I use a milling machine to do this job and not a drill press and certainly not a cordless. Good luck.
    Thanks for taking the time to post this I am sure it will help some members sought out their particular problem further.