Thread: New to me, Savage 22,

New to me, Savage 22,

I just purchased a used Savage 22, it has a synthetic stock, stainless fluted barrel and a bolt action. I can find no markings as to what model it is. Is there anyway to do this?? Seems like a nice little rifle, it is takeing the place of my old Springfield/Stevens model 97A. That was my first 22 rifle and served me well. Now for some reason
    it will not group wortha a darn. I used to be able to shoot gophers (richardson ground squirrels) at up to 100 yards with it. Now at 50 yards 8-10 inch groups at best.

Take it apart clean it oil it put it back down tighten it up shoot

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    As noted, do a full cleaning/lubing and torque the receiver screws down snugly. If you have an inch/pound torque wrench you could start in the 25-30 in/lb range.

Look closely at the barrel and chamber, and clean it well.

What ammo are you using? CCI Standard Velocity usually does pretty well and should give you a good indication if there are any serious issues.

Basic Member
    Welcome to the forum. Just a note Re cleaning. I recommend BoreTech C4 Carbon remover to 'really' clean the bore. I just bought some last month and it's really good - but unforgiving. You'll see what previous 'thorough' cleanings left behind. I don't know how critical it is to get the bore clean, but I've read about (and found in mine) 'carbon rings' at the mouth of the chamber. Seems to be an issue for the first few shots becoming flyers, until the 'ring' gets heated and softened. Articles on many forums - google is your nemesis I just got a Teslong borescope and found out the 'reality' I spent about 4 hours on 3 guns - & more to go. Another tip - but lots of brushes - amazon has bunches for about $10 / dz.
    Good luck with your new friend
    Ed

I did as mentioned. Took it apart, cleaned up a bit, not to bad at all. For a used firearm it was very clean! Ran brush and couple patches through barrel and the patches came out clean!! Shock to me!! Dummy me, not looking at things to carefully. It is a MKII FSV . Stainless bull barrel, black synthetic stock with a decent 3 to 9 scope. Range was closed due to MUD!! I went by today on a relaxing ride on my Gold Wing. It is open!!! Friday is test day for grouping! Thanks guys.

How did you make out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Let us know how the last round at the range went.