Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just For Fun Thread (Times are so serious) - Which Short Action Caliber Should I Build Next?

Why the 6BR instead of the 6x47 Lapua?

Basic Member
    6BR Norma

Basic Member
    JMO, based on Your parameters, messing around and local matches, You don’t need to suffer the recoil beating You get from the 6/47. If You want to shoot consistently at 1,000yds, the the 6/47 could be a good selection, but it can be temperamental to tune. The 6BR Norma is very easy to tune and likely the most consistently accurate round You have ever shot. That makes it a lot of shooting fun. But, if You enjoy getting pounded, or want an exotic challenge, there are infinite choices.

And, the 6BR Norma gets great barrel life.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    Why the 6BR instead of the 6x47 Lapua?
    It's about efficiency and longer barrel life. The 6x47 will give a bit more velocity as does the 6CM and others. Me, I'd opt for longer barrel life at the expense of 150fps. Just depends on what you are looking for.

The Dasher and .30cal seemed to be more popular last year in the light class at 1000yd. And even in the heavy class there are more than I would expect.

http://www.pa1000yard.com/standings/...oup&sixten=Six

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    It's about efficiency and longer barrel life. The 6x47 will give a bit more velocity as does the 6CM and others. Me, I'd opt for longer barrel life at the expense of 150fps. Just depends on what you are looking for.

The Dasher and .30cal seemed to be more popular last year in the light class at 1000yd. And even in the heavy class there are more than I would expect.

Take a look at the actions used also and see how many factory versions are being used.
    Same goes for the barrels, seems Krieger is far and away the favorite.
    Matt Kline is the current heavy gun group record holder with the 300 WSM for roughly 10 years now.
    There had been a heavy gun record held there for 14 years with a 30 cal of the 300 Wetherby variety.
    That record was less than 1/4” larger than the current one. And both of those are about 1/2” smaller than one set in 1986 with a 30x378 by Earl Chronister.
    Weve come a long way baby in the world of long range accuracy havent we? lol
    BTW, some of those shooters like Frank Weber for example are getting very old.
    He is currently 84. The other Webers listed are a son and grandson.
    Clay Weaver is in the same age bracket, note the cartridge he uses, 30x378 short, which is a shortened version of the 30x378 case created many years ago by Howard Wolfe for the Williamsport matches.
    Turns out it was a 300 Norma years before there was a 300 Norma, as the case capacity is identical.
    Note the action used on Clays gun also, which was created by Howard for the wildcat 30x378 in the early 60s.
    I have #29 of that action which is currently used on a Bruce Baer version of the 338 Chey Tac.
    Howard built Bruce Baers guns before Bruce became a gunsmith himself.
    Prior to Mark King being the top dog gunsmith among the Williamsport shooters, Bruce was for quite a long time.
    He walked away from Williamsport because of the demanding nature of the shooters.

Okay, 6 BR Norma. Now I need to pick a barrel length and twist for messing around in some matches when my retirement schedule is open. I am going to limit (if it is a limit) the choices to either Criterion or Shilen from Northland Shooters Supply. The below is a copy paste from the NSS site for Criterion and Shilen barrels.

Criterion
    6mm

1-7, 7.5, 8, 9, 10, & 14 twists
    6 BR Norma,

Shilen

6mm/.243
    - 7" * Special for VLD bullets over 100 gr. (available in stainless steel only) - 8" Special for VLD bullets over 100 gr.
    - 8" * Ratchet rifled 4 groove (available in stainless steel only)
    - 10" For bullets up to 95 gr. and VLD under 100 gr.

- 12" for bullets up to 85 gr.
    - 13" * for bullets up to 75 gr. (available in stainless steel only)
    - 13.5" * for bullets up to 70 gr. (available in stainless steel only)
    - 14" * for bullets up to 70 gr. (available in stainless steel only)
    - 14" * Ratchet rifled 4 groove (available in stainless steel only)
    - 15" * Special for bullets up to 70 gr. (available in stainless steel only)

Basic Member
    You'll want an 8 twist for bullets in the 100 gr. class that you'll be shooting.

I want to thank everybody for your input. You have given me some good information to think on. As the title says, I wanted a good fun thread to help me figure out what to do with the action. Only time will tell when I get into retirement and begin a new chapter. Thank you again.

Basic Member
    I've got a Shilen 26 inch 8 twist in 6mmbr mounted to a Savage 12 action, and it's a real tac driver. But if you really want to have some fun, have it threaded and put a harrells tuner/brake on it and shoot 107SMK's over Varget. Components aren't too expensive and since your going to be loading somewhere around 30 grains, it's not going through a lot of hard to find powder. Accuracy is AMAZING and it's easy to tune, and the tuner will keep it tuned as temps change.

Keep in mind that around Black Friday X-Caliber usually puts their barrels on sale at 25% off. Last year i ordered a 24" SS bull in 6.5 CM. It was under $300 to my door. I've shot from 100 to 800 yds so far and it too is amazingly accurate and consistent with the 140 gr SMK and H4350.

One word of warning about the DBM. The 6mmBR does not feed reliably from a magazine. Rounds tends to be too nose heavy and it will jamb against the breech. If you're a skilled craftsman you can fabricate a ramp to aid feeding. Otherwise, plan to make it a single shot.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I've got a Shilen 26 inch 8 twist in 6mmbr mounted to a Savage 12 action, and it's a real tac driver. But if you really want to have some fun, have it threaded and put a harrells tuner/brake on it and shoot 107SMK's over Varget. Components aren't too expensive and since your going to be loading somewhere around 30 grains, it's not going through a lot of hard to find powder. Accuracy is AMAZING and it's easy to tune, and the tuner will keep it tuned as temps change.

Keep in mind that around Black Friday X-Caliber usually puts their barrels on sale at 25% off. Last year i ordered a 24" SS bull in 6.5 CM. It was under $300 to my door. I've shot from 100 to 800 yds so far and it too is amazingly accurate and consistent with the 140 gr SMK and H4350.

One word of warning about the DBM. The 6mmBR does not feed reliably from a magazine. Rounds tends to be too nose heavy and it will jamb against the breech. If you're a skilled craftsman you can fabricate a ramp to aid feeding. Otherwise, plan to make it a single shot.
    Thank you. The single shot is something I need to ponder.

Basic Member
    Thank you. The single shot is something I need to ponder.
    You can make your magazine fed Savage action into a single shot with a SSS single shot feed ramp. Easy to install and easy to remove if you ever want to do something else with it. I have two and they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    You can make your magazine fed Savage action into a single shot with a SSS single shot feed ramp. Easy to install and easy to remove if you ever want to do something else with it. I have two and they work great.
    It may be a deal breaker for me. If not, maybe I can buy one from you and let you go through the ordering process again since you have mastered it.

Come on, that is a little funny....

Basic Member
    I wonder how the PRS shooters using the 6BR handle the magazine issue?

PS yes it was a little funny

Basic Member
    It may be a deal breaker for me. If not, maybe I can buy one from you and let you go through the ordering process again since you have mastered it.

Come on, that is a little funny....
    No thanks. Batting 1.000 and gonna keep it that way...

Basic Member
    This is the easy way:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...cision-rifles/

The article has a link to another, which explains how to modify a .308 pattern mag to work also.

Basic Member
    MDT sells a metal AICS pattern magazine for the 6mm precision cartridges. They list it as being compatible with the 6BR Norma, 6mm BRA, 6mm BRX, and 6mm Dasher. I assume a fair number of PRS shooters are using a chassis with AICS mags.

https://mdttac.com/us_en/mdt-metal-m...rt-action.html

Basic Member
    Thanks for those.

I happen to have bottom metal for AICS pattern mags.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12