Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for input on 300 win mag or 300 wsm

Basic Member

Looking for input on 300 win mag or 300 wsm

I have a 116 action that is currently dressed as a 30-06. Have been planning on re-barreling to 300 win mag, but over the weekend I saw the new Ultralight in 300 wsm. Checked out the Savage website to see what it's all about. Noticed they didn't offer it in 300 win mag, but did in 30-06. So they are making them in a long action. Why no 300 win mag? Am I missing something? I have been really leaning towards 300 win mag, but I am now wondering if I am missing something. I do like the availability of the win mag, but will handload for the majority of the ammo. As a side note, I do have an AR10 in 300 wsm, so there would be commonality. As stated before, I have really been leaning towards the win mag.

Magnum recoil in an ultralight can be harsh requiring brake. That may not be the market they are pursuing.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I hand load . I have decided to use the 300 wsm I am having a hard time like many others with belted magnums . The dies made don't resize all the way down to the belt . Causing
    Issues with chambering and extracting . They also require alot of trimming, they grow like crazy . You can head space off the shoulder but you need to full length resize erasing fire formed
    Brass attributes. Weather long action or short action Savage short action mags have 3.12 magazine length enough to load wsm bullets long. My goal is 208 eldm bc of 690 loaded long with new and fastest powder yet 6.5 staball with 2.90 coal it gets 2828 fps but loaded longer it will not be in powder column and even more velocity. With over 1200 of energy at over 1000 yards
    These were my factors in choosing wsm over win mag.

Basic Member
    Depends on what your plans are for using the gun. If i were a 1000 yd target shooter id probably go with the WSM.
    Apparently the shorter powder column makes for a more accurate round, in the right hands of coarse and on the right day.
    But for hunting, or even just casual long range rock busting, id want the larger case.
    Recoil is the price we pay for better performance, and a muzzel brake will fix that.
    It will also allow for you seeing your own hits which is the main reason for having one in my opinion.
    Go to one of the other sites having a larger population of long range shooters/hunters and ask the same question.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input. Use will be a mixture of hunting and range. It will most likely be suppressed as well. My AR10 is too heavy to carry in the field for very long.

Basic Member
    I shoot my 300 wsm ultralite at 2840 fps with 212 eld-x and super accurately. It is a lot of gun for the money and i was honestly looking for a 300 WSM. I have owned 2 300 WM and 3 300 WSM's, and the WSM's have been quite a bit better for accuracy and barely less speed. I prefer the 300 WSM.

Basic Member
    Thanks for more input. Is the 300 prc worth a look? Are the gains in performance worth it? Also, if I go the 300 wsm route, would you build it on a short action or long action?

Basic Member
    The .300 PRC requires a magnum length action- can't do it on a standard long action.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtpilatus View Post
    Thanks for more input. Is the 300 prc worth a look? Are the gains in performance worth it? Also, if I go the 300 wsm route, would you build it on a short action or long action?
    I have no idea about the PRC, but the 300 WSM is great in a savage short action. Savage short actions have about the same mag length as a no-binderplate AICS, or just a hair more.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    The .300 PRC requires a magnum length action- can't do it on a standard long action.
    The mag opening on my receiver is 3.8". I thought that was the magic number.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I shoot my 300 wsm ultralite at 2840 fps with 212 eld-x and super accurately. It is a lot of gun for the money and i was honestly looking for a 300 WSM. I have owned 2 300 WM and 3 300 WSM's, and the WSM's have been quite a bit better for accuracy and barely less speed. I prefer the 300 WSM.
    Is your Ultralite a short action or long action? Large shank or small shank?

Basic Member
    I have a Savage Bear hunter, Ultralite and used to have a model 11, and all are short actions and large shank

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I have a Savage Bear hunter, Ultralite and used to have a model 11, and all are short actions and large shank
    Thank you. Saw an ultralite last weekend in 300 wsm and didn't and didn't think to look that close. Really liked the proof research a barrel and was considering doing doin something similar in 300 win mag, but now I am going wsm since I am going to start hand loading.

Basic Member
    Do 300 WM. Peterson brass available, one more round, and pushes bigger bullets faster. BTW, I have a WSM. It is a great round!

Mmm 300wm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Out of curiosity, why are you suggesting 300 win mag?

Basic Member
    Peterson brass available, one more round, and pushes bigger bullets faster.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nksmfamjp View Post
    Peterson brass available, one more round, and pushes bigger bullets faster.
    So im simply asking, but how far would you think it might be before say a 230 gr caught up with a 190 gr shot from a 300 Win mag using a max load?
    Try them both at say 1000 yds and see which takes less clicks on the dial to get there.
    So that leaves the question of is a 190 enough to kill a deer? lol
    While your at it, shoot the WSM also, and count the clicks on that as well.

Looking for input on 300 win mag or 300 wsm

Quote Originally Posted by Mtpilatus View Post
    Out of curiosity, why are you suggesting 300 win mag?
    Simply because they work.
    A 220gn smk will shoot way way out there.
    And within any normal range 1200yds will anchor animals.

The US Navy use them for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    A pretty in-depth article comparing .300 WM and .300 WSM in numerous categories for those that aren't familiar with either (like me...) -

https://www.snipercountry.com/300-wsm-vs-300-win-mag/

Basic Member
    I own a Model 16 in 300 WSM. It’s the only rifle I hunt with. I spent quite a bit of time on paper exercises trying to figure out if there was something interesting I wanted to do with it. There wasn’t much that caught my eye. But while reading up on the round and what was possible, I found this thread: https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...lcomed.167249/
    There is a lot of love on that forum for 300 WSM in a long action. Perhaps it’ll help with your decision.

Basic Member
    May have to do a Beowulf as well.

Basic Member
    Which is better for reloading, ease of reloading and brass and brass life? I started out looking at the 300 win mag because of all the available factory loads, but now that I am going to reload, I started considering the 300 wsm since I have an AR10 chambered in it and if it is built on a short action, there are a lot or options for stocks/chassis.

Basic Member
    So im simply asking, but how far would you think it might be before say a 230 gr caught up with a 190 gr shot from a 300 Win mag using a max load?
    Try them both at say 1000 yds and see which takes less clicks on the dial to get there.
    So that leaves the question of is a 190 enough to kill a deer? lol
    While your at it, shoot the WSM also, and count the clicks on that as well.
    Huh?

Basic Member
    No practical difference in ballistics at any given range between the Win Mag and WSM.
    I'm building one (short mag) as we speak, on an M700 (short) action which I've modified to accept the Wyatts extended length box mag.
    For heavy VLD's, the additional length is a plus in a long action- so it's obviously suited for that.

Depending on the bullets (I'm just getting into running the numbers), looks like those in the 200 class will need the chamber to be throated longer, as the SAAMI spec chamber has zero freebore.
    With a long action, there would be all the room in the world to seat even the heaviest VLD's all the way "out" (maximizing case capacity)- but again, freebore is the issue.

I've not owned/reloaded for a belted magnum- but that's another consideration if deciding between the two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast