Thread: Savage 110 Apex Hunter XP Very hard to install magazine

Savage 110 Apex Hunter XP Very hard to install magazine

Hi,

I'm new to this forum.

I recently purchased a Savage 110 Apex Hunter XP .270 from Cabela's. I unboxed it. I tried to attach the (empty) magazine to the rifle and this required me 2 hands to push the magazine to the rifle until a click -- one hand pushing the barrel while the other hand need to push the magazine. I cannot even do this with my fingers. I'm wondering if this is normal, or am I missing some steps.

I've owned 10/22s, AR15s and Glocks and I never need this much force to attach a magazine. This is my first bolt action rifle.

Attached are the photos of the rifle and the magazine.

Somewhat of a common problem on this original version of the Axis-style magazine. What I've done in the past is took a small flat file to remove some of the material from the bottom of the latch's lip at the front of the magazine - effectively moving the lip higher and allowing the mag to catch sooner and with less pressure. Just go slow and check often so you don't over-do it.

Savage has a new bottom cap design out now that's spring loaded which is a much better system. They've been shipping the new design for about a year now so your rifle must have been sitting on a dealer or distributors shelf for a while.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    Interesting. I wasn't aware they even shipped the new style stocks with the old style magazines. But hey, that's just being thrifty and using up what you have I guess. I actually prefer the older style magazine bottoms to the new. They don't protrude down as much, and I liked the smooth bottom vs. the inscribed logo on the new mags.

Team Savage
    Morgandollar, if you want I'll swap you stocks and magazines from my 116 30-06. It's the original plastic Savage stock with the indian head logo and the magazine fits perfectly. I'm looking for one of those newer stocks.