Thread: 1963 110L Scope Mount Removal

1963 110L Scope Mount Removal

Hi all,

I can't seem to figure out how to gain access to the single mounting screw holding the original front (I'm assuming) Redfield scope mount. I've lightly tapped on the highlighted piece using a hammer and a flat head screwdriver wrapped in cloth as to protect the metal. Most of the marks were present when I bought the rifle so I assumed it could be persuaded to move. I'm also assuming this piece moves because I can see the bottom of the screw from inside of the chamber.

Could this be soldered in place? I don't see an easy way to lift the price but maybe I could get some vice grips on it.
    Last edited by Sruffs; 09-09-2020 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Updating picture links

Is there a screw in the hole in front of that piece? If so, that should be holding the front of the mount. If there is a screw under that weird piece, I've never seen a set up like that before.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage
    Remove the scope ring ,the screw is under it

Yeah, there is a screw in front. Even once it's removed the screw under that misc piece is holding the entire mount in place as well as locking the front scope mount in place.

I did just find this on Ebay which looks exactly like what I have:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/REDFIELD-4-...cAAOSwOCdfTtf9

So it looks like the entire thing is a single unit that needs to rotate!

Basic Member
    That looks like the same type of rotating mount lug used on Leupold rings except this rotating lug is offset from the ring itself. The ring with the flange does have to rotate 90 degrees to come off but I believe the mount has to be loosened to let the lug move. I have no idea how the rear ring is fastened.

Team Savage

Turn the entire front ring assembly 90 degrees and remove from the base. The rest should be intuitive once that dovetailed bottom front ring is off.

I learn something almost every day on these forums, Great place.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have to figure out how to further loosen the front of the mount base before trying to turn the front scope mount. Don't want to force and damage something. The rear has a single mounting screw and the scope mount uses a kind of dove tail mount that gets clamped down by tightening a couple horizontal screws (same as the front sight in the ebay link I posted). I'll give an update when I get some time to tinker on the gone more, currently on the road. Thanks again!

Hopefully someone can find these pictures useful in the future.

This front scope mount is in fact a single piece. It's a dovetail secured mount sporting an offset known as an "extension", bringing the mount closer to the shooter. I was able to twist the mount 90 degrees in order to pop it out. It takes a good amount of force to rotate the mount. I did this with a large flat bladed screwdriver with some heavy canvas (to protect the mount) in conjunction with a hammer to drive the mount around. Note the last photo showing the 3rd phantom screw that I could see from inside the chamber. Overall a pretty simple design, and provides a very stable mount.

Mount being rotated clockwise:

Some close-ups of the mount:

Final (3rd) mount base screw:

Basic Member
    Good job and excellent pictures.

Glad you got it removed so easily.