Thread: Stevens Model 35 pistol Kanumdrum

Basic Member

Stevens Model 35 pistol Kanumdrum

I own a Stevens Model 35 that has the "Stevens A. & T. Co. Chicopee Falls Mass USA" on the barrel. My S\N is 49,xxx as stamped on the barrel side. (See First Pic)

Now, I saw a Stevens Model 35 for sale on GB which had "J. Stevens Arms Co. Chicopee Falls Mass USA" stamped on the barrel side. The S\N on that was 41,089. (See Second Pic)

So, according to the "American Society of Arms collectors" https://americansocietyofarmscollect...ns-Tip-Ups.pdfif the markings were like the one I have, the firearm was made pre-1916. If the firearm had markings like the GB one, it was made post 1916.

However, I'm a bit perplexed that my pre-1916 S\N of 49,xxx is higher than the alleged post-1916 S\N of 41,089. And I noticed that my pistol appears to have a cast trigger guard where the other model has an apparent stamped trigger guard.

Any SWAG's on this one???

Basic Member
    Well.....now that I'm asking my questions.....and then posting my answers.....() I got somewhat luck doing a search. Apparently according to https://gunvalues.gundigest.com/stev.../no-35-target/ there is a distinct difference between the No. 35 Target, and the No. 35. According to the web site the "Number 35" description is as follows:

Chambered for .22 rimfire, .22 Stevens-Pope and .25 Stevens cartridges. Offered with 6", 8", 10" or 12.25" part-octagonal barrel. Firing pin has no bushing. Features an iron frame that is blued or plated, with a blued barrel. Plain walnut grips, with a weighted buttcap. Featured open sights. Approximately 43,000 manufactured between 1923 and 1942. NOTE: Longer barrels worth a premium.

And the "Number 35 Target" is described as follows

Similar to No. 35, but has a better quality trigger guard and sights. Approximately 35,000 manufactured between 1907 and 1916.

​So, it appears that the No. 35 Target was manufactured between 1907-1916 with approximately 35,000 made. Yet the "Target" model S\N began at 25,001. The subsequent "No. 35" was manufactured between 1923-1942. I can only assume that with the "newer" No. 35, the S\N numbering began at "1" as there were 43,000 made and the one on GB is apparently near the end of production.

I did note the trigger guard differences and it would make sense that two separate S\N were assigned to the two different
    models and time periods they were made.

Now, I'm just guessing that the later No. 35 S\N began with the number "1", as I have not come across any with a S\N higher than 43,000. But that's just a SWAG on my part.

However.....I have ask and answered my own question....to a point.....and based upon the thousands of post on this thread the interest in these pistols is just.....well....overboard!!!

Basic Member
    I know nothing about those cool little pistols, never even seen one in person!! But I'm glad you found the information to answer your question and thanks for sharing! I love old guns and always glad to learn more about them!!