Thread: 223 magazine spacer removel

catfish

223 magazine spacer removel

Anyone know if the spacer on the 223 blind staggered box magazine can just be cut out and discarded and still function fine?
    I really wish the fireball would work in it, id love to do a 22 vartarg instead of a 223.

hailstone

Re: 223 magazine spacer removel

Since the 221 Fireball is a shorter cartridge than the 223 Remington why would you need too remove the magazine block. Why would you need too remove it in 223 other than if your shooting bullets in the high 70's and into 80's in weight. Unless the barrel twist rate was increased to 1 in 7'' don't know if they would be stabilized with Savages 1 in 9" twist. You would need to remove the extended bolt head baffle and replace it with a regular bolt head baffle. Otherwise you couldn't make use of the additional magazine length if the magazine block is removed.

catfish

Re: 223 magazine spacer removel

Sorry for the confusion. I have a new factory 223 barrel im planning on swapping on along with the bolthead and magazine. I dont want the magazine to restrict me for seating my 223 bullets. I saw something somewhere about hacking out the spacer, just wanting to confirm its ok and will have no ill affect? Going to use this one for high volume sage rats this spring till its burn up. SOrry but i hate factory necks and throats.
    the 221 fireball is different issue, its said they are 2 short and wont feed properly. Id like to end up with a 221 fireball AI/22 vartarg next and wondering if anyone has found a solution on the savage action other than single shot or a wooden adapter? thanks rob