Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody thought of 3-D printing up some higher-capacity magazines for short-action Axis rifles?

Anybody thought of 3-D printing up some higher-capacity magazines for short-action Axis rifles?

I wonder if you could print up a 10-round magazine for the Savage Axis?

Anybody around here make such an attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by FOGeologist View Post
    I wonder if you could print up a 10-round magazine for the Savage Axis?

Anybody around here make such an attempt?
    Great idea. The more innovation that comes from this platform, the better. When I have spoken with certain manufacturers, the reply is that there just isn't enough interest.

Basic Member
    Design it up and send it off to be printed and see how it works. Plenty of places for that. Even some public libraries have them.

Basic Member
    I could attempt to model it, though I don't have a printer myself. I've gotten fairly good at modeling small parts - the spring will really be the issue though it could likely be made to function with an AR mag spring.

Basic Member
    I agree, you could source the spring from any of the regular mfgs, including GI surplus. The good part is, you just have to make a 'box' to fit the metal portion of the existing magazine. No messing with feed lips and followers.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I agree, you could source the spring from any of the regular mfgs, including GI surplus. The good part is, you just have to make a 'box' to fit the metal portion of the existing magazine. No messing with feed lips and followers.
    Thats a great point. Even if you had to buy the Savage model 10, 10round mag spring.

Basic Member
    Did a bit of tinkering with it tonight. I definitely need to work some more on the latch but didn't take too long to get a basic pattern started:

The tabs that hold the bottom to the original metal, should be ramped for durability. Nice work!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rule762 View Post
    The tabs that hold the bottom to the original metal, should be ramped for durability. Nice work!
    I'm not sure I can really do much with them as the slots in the metal top are of a pre-determined size so to make it work with that I pretty much have to exactly match them.

I think this one would work if the latch maintained enough "spring" to engage the catch. Only thing as noted before would be finding an appropriate spring. Using something like an AR mag spring would likely require a specially designed follower setup to mate with that type of spring.

Of course a stock follower + spring out of an AR-10 magazine might work. I'd need to grab one since I only have AR-15 magazines lying around. I might try to order one of those soon.

Basic Member
    Why aren't you duplicating the new latch instead of the plastic one?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Why aren't you duplicating the new latch instead of the plastic one?
    The new latch is multiple parts some of which are metal pins. The old style one can be rendered fully in plastic.

Have you considered using Pmags and developing a DBM Frame with metal inserts for action screws. My experience though is that the plastic used will be of the greatest importance as anything thin is fragile.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I've got a printer and would be more than happy to print a prototype for you. I also have an axis with a boyds stock that can be used for testing.

I would love to be a Beta tester as well. I have springs from M14, AR10, and others that I could test out.

I'm a little surprised, and pretty happy, to see the enthusiasm for this idea. I may have some time on my hands coming up, and although it's been a dog's age since I've worked in a CAD program I may give it a shot. Neilis, what program are you using? Is that the CAD program our "friends" at Google released about 8 years back?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FOGeologist View Post
    I'm a little surprised, and pretty happy, to see the enthusiasm for this idea. I may have some time on my hands coming up, and although it's been a dog's age since I've worked in a CAD program I may give it a shot. Neilis, what program are you using? Is that the CAD program our "friends" at Google released about 8 years back?
    I typically use FreeCAD, which is an open source/free CAD tool. I'm too cheap to buy a commercial CAD tool and honestly the learning curve on getting used to working in one of these is such that I don't want to have to learn any new UI's.

I'm probably going the have someone on Treatstock print up the model next week. Just got pulled away on some other projects for a bit.

Anybody thought of 3-D printing up some higher-capacity magazines for short-action Axis rifles?

The plastic catch on the mag is problematic I haven’t found a plastic that will remain elastic and hold up. Polymax PLA works best but it won’t last unless it’s annealed which due to non uniform shrinkage causes other issues. If someone has a printer that can print nylon that may work, think LEGO plastic.

I have fusion 3d but usually design in 3d builder. It’s free with windows 10, accurate and easy to use. Fusion is better for threads though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    That was why I suggested the new model latch. Yeah, it requires a pin and spring, but, I think it would work better.

Ok I haven’t seen one, I’ll have to take a look.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    The plastic catch on the mag is problematic I haven’t found a plastic that will remain elastic and hold up. Polymax PLA works best but it won’t last unless it’s annealed which due to non uniform shrinkage causes other issues. If someone has a printer that can print nylon that may work, think LEGO plastic.
    If you're talking about an SLA/DLP style printer like an Anycubic Photon or Mono, I've been recommended Siraya Tenacious resin. Apparently it works particularly well when you mix it 20/80 into your regular 'brittle' resins. I just got a bottle of it here for something completely unrelated to firearms, and will be experimenting to see how it responds.

Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by RBT321 View Post
    If you're talking about an SLA/DLP style printer like an Anycubic Photon or Mono, I've been recommended Siraya Tenacious resin. Apparently it works particularly well when you mix it 20/80 into your regular 'brittle' resins. I just got a bottle of it here for something completely unrelated to firearms, and will be experimenting to see how it responds.

Ross.
    I’ve only done FDM printing so far but after looking at the printer you referenced I may have to try it out. Do you have a Anycubic? Do you like it?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    I’ve only done FDM printing so far but after looking at the printer you referenced I may have to try it out. Do you have a Anycubic? Do you like it?
    I love the AnyCubic Photon! It's amazingly accurate and the prints are incredibly clean. Here is a picture of a tiny N gauge model railway bogie that I made. It will demo the detail you can get out of these things:

Though be warned that there is a significant learning curve involved in getting good quality prints every time from these SLA/DLP systems and the standard resins all produce quite brittle parts that probably won't stand up to any rough treatment.

That's where I hear the Siraya Tenacious resin can make a huge difference, but I am only just beginning to experiment with it myself.

Even since I bought mine just back in March there are newer models coming out that feature much faster prints and larger volumes: Check out the AnyCubic Mono, the Phrozen Sonic 4K Mini and the Elgoo Saturn. And I think Epax and Peopoly have new ones out this year too. If you choose the Phrozen printer let me know, I'll send you a link as I earn a bottle of resin for every new customer I can introduce! :)

Ross.

Quote Originally Posted by RBT321 View Post
    I love the AnyCubic Photon! It's amazingly accurate and the prints are incredibly clean. Here is a picture of a tiny N gauge model railway bogie that I made. It will demo the detail you can get out of these things:

Though be warned that there is a significant learning curve involved in getting good quality prints every time from these SLA/DLP systems and the standard resins all produce quite brittle parts that probably won't stand up to any rough treatment.

That's where I hear the Siraya Tenacious resin can make a huge difference, but I am only just beginning to experiment with it myself.

Even since I bought mine just back in March there are newer models coming out that feature much faster prints and larger volumes: Check out the AnyCubic Mono, the Phrozen Sonic 4K Mini and the Elgoo Saturn. And I think Epax and Peopoly have new ones out this year too. If you choose the Phrozen printer let me know, I'll send you a link as I earn a bottle of resin for every new customer I can introduce! :)

Ross.
    That looks like my new Christmas present.

Basic Member
    So if you do decide to plunk for the really fast Phrozen Sonic 4K Mini, use this link and I'll get a bottle of free resin! :)

http://phrozen3dp.refr.cc/rosstierney

Ross.

Basic Member
    @neilis, would you like me to try printing that mag above?

My printer's dimensions allow me to print parts up to 115 x 65 x 155mm (4.52" x 2.55" x 6.10")

PM me and we can exchange files by email.

Ross.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast