Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody thought of 3-D printing up some higher-capacity magazines for short-action Axis rifles?

I had a guy on eBay wanting a custom safety bolt block for the range his will be orange but here is the prototype made out of glow in the dark PLA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    So is anyone making this happen, or did it not work out?

If anyone will post pics of the new style mag I’ll try.

Why not make a mag port/bottom metal that accepts high cap mags that are already in production.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Why not make a mag port/bottom metal that accepts high cap mags that are already in production.
    ? Never considered it. Most of the stocks I have aren’t inleted for bottom metal and I’ve switched to chassis where I wanted aics.

Following up on this from a long time back -

I bought an Ender 3 V2 and promptly went down the rabbit hole of making replacement parts, munitions, and model fuel tanks for my radio control planes.

BTW, don't go down into the pit of RC. There is little chance you can climb out.

I sent my bolt off to be "tuned" with a bushing and re-sprung, so I didn't have to deal with Savage's misdesigned spring arrangement. Now I have to consider designing my magazine, saving $400 - $500 for a half-decent scope and rings (the stock rail seems to be just fine, in fact, I suspect most stock rails are sufficient for all but "battle" purposes), and a careful load workup is in order - although from my unpublished "round 2 range report," I can tell you that my stock handload (55 grain Montana Gold over X-Terminator) is a sub MOA round in this rifle.

Then, I will contemplate creating a 10 round capacity magazine in Fusion 360 for this rifle.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FOGeologist View Post
    Following up on this from a long time back -

I bought an Ender 3 V2 and promptly went down the rabbit hole of making replacement parts, munitions, and model fuel tanks for my radio control planes.

BTW, don't go down into the pit of RC. There is little chance you can climb out.

I sent my bolt off to be "tuned" with a bushing and re-sprung, so I didn't have to deal with Savage's misdesigned spring arrangement. Now I have to consider designing my magazine, saving $400 - $500 for a half-decent scope and rings (the stock rail seems to be just fine, in fact, I suspect most stock rails are sufficient for all but "battle" purposes), and a careful load workup is in order - although from my unpublished "round 2 range report," I can tell you that my stock handload (55 grain Montana Gold over X-Terminator) is a sub MOA round in this rifle.

Then, I will contemplate creating a 10 round capacity magazine in Fusion 360 for this rifle.
    RC airplanes. Yep, have had a few, still do :) I stick with mostly electric scale in smaller sizes (<60"). Was so deep in the hole started up my own business cutting kits (Manzano Laser Works). Sold it off a few years ago but still build and fly every now and then.

Was also tempted to get a 3D printer but have not felt the need to get one yet. Will probably get another small metal lathe before a 3D printer.

You are right that most rails will suffice for the .22's. Scopes are another story. Better to spend more on them. But, I was pleasantly surprised at my Vortex Diamondback (24x). Better optics than I expected and reticle movement is very repeatable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12