Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a LW Storm .280 ai?

Team Savage

Building a LW Storm .280 ai?

I am wondering what folks think about converting a LW storm in .270 Win to .280ai?

I'm in the market for a .280ai, but I also want a lightweight stainless rifle. The Ultralight is more than I want to spend. Seems like you could pull a stainless barrel off a .280ai Storm or AxisII and replace the lightweight 20" .270 barrel.

Anyone see any issues with this idea?

Anyone know where I could find a stainless Savage .280ai barrel?

Thanks!

I don't recall Savage ever chambering their rifles in 280AI. It's a great round for sure and comes very close to 7mm RM performance using less powder. I had a heavy barrel 280AI on a Savage 110 SF action a few years ago, was chambered in a Criterion barrel and was 8" twist. Shot extremely well at 1K. Check with Northland Shooter Supply on line.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage
    Savage has quite a few .280ai rifles now, including an Axis II, the 110 Storm and the 110 Ultralight with the proof carbon barrel. I'm thinking of swapping barrels from a stainless Axis II (22") with the 20" .270 barrel that comes on the Lightweight Storm. Just wondering if anyone has done this or would know what to avoid.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Savage has quite a few .280ai rifles now, including an Axis II, the 110 Storm and the 110 Ultralight with the proof carbon barrel. I'm thinking of swapping barrels from a stainless Axis II (22") with the 20" .270 barrel that comes on the Lightweight Storm. Just wondering if anyone has done this or would know what to avoid.
    The axis barrel will work just fine, but the roll-mark most likely won't line up (not a big deal for me).
    Finding a take-off in that caliber may be difficult. Questions should include round count & reason they took it off.
    My personal opinion would be to buy a "better" quality aftermarket barrel. It should give you a much better chance at finding the precision you are looking for. You also can get the length, contour & weight you desire.
    Good caliber, good project.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    The axis barrel will work just fine, but the roll-mark most likely won't line up (not a big deal for me).
    Finding a take-off in that caliber may be difficult. Questions should include round count & reason they took it off.
    My personal opinion would be to buy a "better" quality aftermarket barrel. It should give you a much better chance at finding the precision you are looking for. You also can get the length, contour & weight you desire.
    Good caliber, good project.
    I thought of that. There are some pretty high quality pre-fits for Savage now that I will look at.

I wish I could find a better stock for the long action LWS though. The factory stock is fine, I'm sure, but I'm wanting a little stiffer and less cheap looking. I can't find any aftermarket stocks for Savage rifles that are actually lightweight. The B&C is 2.4 lbs! That like a pound more than the factory stock.

My 280AI weighs 9.6 lbs loaded.

116 WW Action
    24" Criterion NSS Sporter Contour 8.5 Twist
    Bell & Carlson Medalist Stock
    Precision Reflex scope rail. I like it because it is flush with the front of the receiver.
    Warne Mountain Tech 1" Rings
    Zeiss HD5 3-15x50
    Homemade cheek rest made of camping pad and vet wrap

I know this isn't the light weight info you are looking for but I just wanted to give you an idea of what doesn't equal "light weight". My goal was under 10 lbs. I made it by 4 ounces!

* I have the factory Savage Accustock (not Accufit Accustock)off my 116 Weather Warrior if you want it.

** James at NSS has a long action Accufit Accustock in the clearance section for $100. http://northlandshooterssupply.com/clearance/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 116Bolt.jpg   116 WW.jpg  

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    My 280AI weighs 9.6 lbs loaded.

116 WW Action
    24" Criterion NSS Sporter Contour 8.5 Twist
    Bell & Carlson Medalist Stock
    (?) Scope Rail, I can never remember the brand. I like it because it is flush with the front of the receiver.
    Warne Mountain Tech 1" Rings
    Zeiss HD5 3-15x50
    Homemade cheek rest made of camping pad and vet wrap

I know this isn't the light weight info you are looking for but I just wanted to give you an idea of what doesn't equal "light weight". My goal was under 10 lbs. I made it by 4 ounces!

* I have the factory Savage Accustock (not Accufit Accustock)off my 116 Weather Warrior if you want it.

** James at NSS has a long action Accufit Accustock in the clearance section for $100. http://northlandshooterssupply.com/clearance/
    I really miss the "like button"! ^^^like^^^

Precision Reflex is the brand of the scope rail. I edited the post above. And I have no idea why the 1st thumbnail is upside down.

Team Savage
    Sorry, but I hoping to find someone who has built off the LWS .270 action.

Team Savage
    I built a 280AI on a Savage LWH action 5 years ago. The LWH walnut stock is one of the lightest non-tupperware Savage stocks at around 26 to 28 oz. A 22” factory sporter barrel is going to be about 6 oz heavier than a Savage LW 20” barrel. I lucked into a new 23” SS FW barrel in 280AI (2 lbs, 2 oz). My pet 162 grain ELD-X loads provide velocities equal to those published on a box of 7mm RM Hornady Precision Hunter factory ammo. Harvested a nice WY mule deer at 325 yards any KY cow elk at 75 yards so far.

What is the difference in weight between the LW action and the standard action?

Team Savage
    What is the difference in weight between the LW action and the standard action?
    Around 1.5 to 2 oz. So buy a Savage Engage in 280AI and you will basically have what you are trying to build on a LW Storm platform. Or if you just “got to have” a SS 22” barrel, then get a 110 Storm in 280AI and part it out, since you can get full value for the SS standard action, metal bottom parts and Accufit-Accustock. Personally I’d just sell the SS standard action and put the LW Storm action in the Accufit-Accustock. I doubt the LW Storm tupperware stock is going to deliver the accuracy potential you want.

Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    Around 1.5 to 2 oz. So buy a Savage Engage in 280AI and you will basically have what you are trying to build on a LW Storm platform. Or if you just “got to have” a SS 22” barrel, then get a 110 Storm in 280AI and part it out, since you can get full value for the SS standard action, metal bottom parts and Accufit-Accustock. Personally I’d just sell the SS standard action and put the LW Storm action in the Accufit-Accustock. I doubt the LW Storm tupperware stock is going to deliver the accuracy potential you want.
    Not "me guys", I posted a link to a $100 Accufit Accustock from a reputable business and offered my take-off Accustock for free. I think the OP has the wood version for his LW 270. But doesn't the wood stock have a plastic mag with plastic lock/release tab? I would put that action in one of the stocks I referenced, use Talley light weight one piece rings, and keep the scope at 3-15x42 or 44 and get a quality pre-fit barrel. Done.... And when I say "I", I mean if I was the OP. Me, "I", doesn't want to shoot a 6.5ish pound 280 AI running 2880 to 29somthing with a 150 - 160 grain bullet.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by jpdown View Post
    I built a 280AI on a Savage LWH action 5 years ago. The LWH walnut stock is one of the lightest non-tupperware Savage stocks at around 26 to 28 oz. A 22” factory sporter barrel is going to be about 6 oz heavier than a Savage LW 20” barrel. I lucked into a new 23” SS FW barrel in 280AI (2 lbs, 2 oz). My pet 162 grain ELD-X loads provide velocities equal to those published on a box of 7mm RM Hornady Precision Hunter factory ammo. Harvested a nice WY mule deer at 325 yards any KY cow elk at 75 yards so far.
    That's fantastic! Yes, I've had two of those LWH walnut stocks now - one I ordered directly from the factory for $350 - and they really are incredibly light for a wood stock. Both of mine were 27 oz.

Team Savage
    Not "me guys", I posted a link to a $100 Accufit Accustock from a reputable business and offered my take-off Accustock for free. I think the OP has the wood version for his LW 270. But doesn't the wood stock have a plastic mag with plastic lock/release tab? I would put that action in one of the stocks I referenced, use Talley light weight one piece rings, and keep the scope at 3-15x42 or 44 and get a quality pre-fit barrel. Done.... And when I say "I", I mean if I was the OP. Me, "I", doesn't want to shoot a 6.5ish pound 280 AI running 2880 to 29somthing with a 150 - 160 grain bullet.
    I wouldn't want to shoot a 6.5 lb. .280ai with 150-160's going 2880 with the wood stock. That's for sure. I've learned a walnut stock transfers recoil to the shoulder more than any other kind of stocks I've used. They're pretty, but I avoid them nowdays. I'm thinking of finding a good quality synthetic stock for my build. Maybe a MPI stock? Not sure yet. But it won't be wood.

Yesterday I lucked into a 116 (stainless) in 30-06 with the tupperware (non-accustock) stock and Axis style magazine. Even with the standard action, it still only weighs 6.25 lbs. I'm going to shoot it as an '06 for this season, and if I am not happy with it, all I have to do is pull the barrel and install a .280ai barrel, and voila!

I'm still on the lookout for a lightweight synthetic stock for a long action and bottom bolt release.

Team Savage
    Step 1 is almost complete... Ordered a Lightweight Storm in .270 yesterday. Next job is to find a .280ai barrel for it... I'd hate to have to order an Axis II SS just for the barrel, but it wouldn't be the first time if I do.

Basic Member
    Nice! I ordered a .270 LWH with the intent of using it for a lightweight 280ai build, and it shot so good i just decided to keep it as it was. So i bought another Savage lightweight hunter just like it. The kimber is sub MOA and most of the time sub 3/4. I was looking to make something like my kimber Classic select 280ai, but i wanted it to be better accuracy. No matter what i did, i just couldn't get the kimber to go better than 7/8 with hand loads. I figure since most of my savages are better than that it would be easy with an aftermarket barrel on a Savage LWH. After i got a 300 WSM ultralite i changed my thinking and kind of decided if i was to do another lightweight rifle it would be a 6.5 PRC Savage ultralite and the 280ai kimber and .270 LWH will go down the road... and then i picked up a kimber adirondak 7mm-08 because it was half price at Cabelas.
    The moral of the story, roll with the punches, and keep your eyes open... but that things can get away from you in a hurry if you don't stick to the plan.
    Seriously that is a good plan you have! I would go with a slim profile savage prefit in one of the big name aftermarket barrel makers and you will probably love life

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I would go with a slim profile savage prefit in one of the big name aftermarket barrel makers and you will probably love life
    x2

Basic Member
    Im of the (opinion) that there isnt any gain in having the improved chambers unless the barrel is long enough to burn the increased powder charge that allows for the gain. Has any testing been done that shows a 22” barrel will do that, or are we being led to believe that it simply happens with the AI chamber?

In my limited experience, there are other benefits that come with the AI. My 280 AI cases don't grow in OAL and the shoulder hasn't grown through 4 firings. So far, I like it for sure.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    Nice! I ordered a .270 LWH with the intent of using it for a lightweight 280ai build, and it shot so good i just decided to keep it as it was. So i bought another Savage lightweight hunter just like it. The kimber is sub MOA and most of the time sub 3/4. I was looking to make something like my kimber Classic select 280ai, but i wanted it to be better accuracy. No matter what i did, i just couldn't get the kimber to go better than 7/8 with hand loads. I figure since most of my savages are better than that it would be easy with an aftermarket barrel on a Savage LWH. After i got a 300 WSM ultralite i changed my thinking and kind of decided if i was to do another lightweight rifle it would be a 6.5 PRC Savage ultralite and the 280ai kimber and .270 LWH will go down the road... and then i picked up a kimber adirondak 7mm-08 because it was half price at Cabelas.
    The moral of the story, roll with the punches, and keep your eyes open... but that things can get away from you in a hurry if you don't stick to the plan.
    Seriously that is a good plan you have! I would go with a slim profile savage prefit in one of the big name aftermarket barrel makers and you will probably love life
    I suppose I would be tempted to do the same thing if I didn't just buy a LWS in 7mm-08 that shoots lights-out. I mean 0.3-0.6" with three different hand loads. There is so little difference between a 7mm-08 and a .270 (especially in a 20" barrel) that keeping the LWS .270 as a .270 would just be redundant.

I have a 116 '06 that is a tack driver, and I like the idea of having an '06, so I may pull the barrel and make myself a LWS with a sporter '06 barrel and see how I like it. As much as I want a .280ai, there isn't that much difference between it and an '06 for all practical purposes.

Hate to break apart that 116 because she shoots so damn good, but a .280ai barrel is gonna cost me!

Team Savage
    x2
    That may very well be exactly what I do if I choose to stick with the .280ai plan.

Great advice btw about sticking with the plan. I get easily distracted by shiny things and often spend more time and money chasing things I never really wanted, than if I had just been patient and followed my original plan. But I guess that's also how you learn. :D

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    I have a 116 '06 that is a tack driver, and I like the idea of having an '06, so I may pull the barrel and make myself a LWS with a sporter '06 barrel and see how I like it. As much as I want a .280ai, there isn't that much difference between it and an '06 for all practical purposes.

Hate to break apart that 116 because she shoots so damn good, but a .280ai barrel is gonna cost me!
    I wanted to update this thread with what I decided to do -

I did pull the '06 barrel off that 116, and swapped it with the .270 barrel on a brand new long action LW Storm. So rather than build the .280ai I had initially talked about, I've ended up with a LW Storm (new version stock and action) with a stainless '06 barrel off that 116. I then trimmed an inch off the barrel and recrowned it for length and balance. Topped with a Redfield 3-9x40 Revolution scope, it weighs in at exactly 7 lbs. now. And yes, that barrel is still a tack driver.

I now am the proud owner of a Lightweight Storm in 30-06, and I hauled that thing all over the mountains of NW Colorado during the 2nd rifle season, where we had 15" of snow and temps down to 1 degree. The rifle was great. I had an opportunity to shoot it to 400 yards at a public range, and it grouped consistent and very well.

I never thought I'd end up with a Lightweight Storm barreled in 30-06, but here I am. And I'm completely satisfied with the end result.

Basic Member
    In my limited experience, there are other benefits that come with the AI. My 280 AI cases don't grow in OAL and the shoulder hasn't grown through 4 firings. So far, I like it for sure.
    Ok, but that has nothing to do with the actual performance, as in muzzel velocity gain with a short barrel.
    I have owned a factory Rem 700 in 280 for several decades, probably three decades, with the standard 22” barrel.
    But i question the wisdom of having it converted to the AI chamber for the roughly 100 fps gain which may not even happen?
    Id personaly be more apt to rebarrel to a 26” if i were to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Ok, but that has nothing to do with the actual performance, as in muzzel velocity gain with a short barrel.
    I have owned a factory Rem 700 in 280 for several decades, probably three decades, with the standard 22” barrel.
    But i question the wisdom of having it converted to the AI chamber for the roughly 100 fps gain which may not even happen?
    Id personaly be more apt to rebarrel to a 26” if i were to do that.
    Which is why we live in "A'Merica". i like what I did and you can do the 26" whatever. Cheers to you as a 2A brother!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast