Thread: Building a LW Storm .280 ai?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage

Building a LW Storm .280 ai?

I am wondering what folks think about converting a LW storm in .270 Win to .280ai?

I'm in the market for a .280ai, but I also want a lightweight stainless rifle. The Ultralight is more than I want to spend. Seems like you could pull a stainless barrel off a .280ai Storm or AxisII and replace the lightweight 20" .270 barrel.

Anyone see any issues with this idea?

Anyone know where I could find a stainless Savage .280ai barrel?

Thanks!

I don't recall Savage ever chambering their rifles in 280AI. It's a great round for sure and comes very close to 7mm RM performance using less powder. I had a heavy barrel 280AI on a Savage 110 SF action a few years ago, was chambered in a Criterion barrel and was 8" twist. Shot extremely well at 1K. Check with Northland Shooter Supply on line.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage
    Savage has quite a few .280ai rifles now, including an Axis II, the 110 Storm and the 110 Ultralight with the proof carbon barrel. I'm thinking of swapping barrels from a stainless Axis II (22") with the 20" .270 barrel that comes on the Lightweight Storm. Just wondering if anyone has done this or would know what to avoid.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
    Savage has quite a few .280ai rifles now, including an Axis II, the 110 Storm and the 110 Ultralight with the proof carbon barrel. I'm thinking of swapping barrels from a stainless Axis II (22") with the 20" .270 barrel that comes on the Lightweight Storm. Just wondering if anyone has done this or would know what to avoid.
    The axis barrel will work just fine, but the roll-mark most likely won't line up (not a big deal for me).
    Finding a take-off in that caliber may be difficult. Questions should include round count & reason they took it off.
    My personal opinion would be to buy a "better" quality aftermarket barrel. It should give you a much better chance at finding the precision you are looking for. You also can get the length, contour & weight you desire.
    Good caliber, good project.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    The axis barrel will work just fine, but the roll-mark most likely won't line up (not a big deal for me).
    Finding a take-off in that caliber may be difficult. Questions should include round count & reason they took it off.
    My personal opinion would be to buy a "better" quality aftermarket barrel. It should give you a much better chance at finding the precision you are looking for. You also can get the length, contour & weight you desire.
    Good caliber, good project.
    I thought of that. There are some pretty high quality pre-fits for Savage now that I will look at.

I wish I could find a better stock for the long action LWS though. The factory stock is fine, I'm sure, but I'm wanting a little stiffer and less cheap looking. I can't find any aftermarket stocks for Savage rifles that are actually lightweight. The B&C is 2.4 lbs! That like a pound more than the factory stock.

My 280AI weighs 9.6 lbs loaded.

116 WW Action
    24" Criterion NSS Sporter Contour 8.5 Twist
    Bell & Carlson Medalist Stock
    Precision Reflex scope rail. I like it because it is flush with the front of the receiver.
    Warne Mountain Tech 1" Rings
    Zeiss HD5 3-15x50
    Homemade cheek rest made of camping pad and vet wrap

I know this isn't the light weight info you are looking for but I just wanted to give you an idea of what doesn't equal "light weight". My goal was under 10 lbs. I made it by 4 ounces!

* I have the factory Savage Accustock (not Accufit Accustock)off my 116 Weather Warrior if you want it.

** James at NSS has a long action Accufit Accustock in the clearance section for $100. http://northlandshooterssupply.com/clearance/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 116Bolt.jpg   116 WW.jpg