Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Highest quality aftermarket Savage replacement barrels

Basic Member

Oh crap I forgot someone already moved me to a thread for that.. sorry peeps

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I have bought and tried many, many barrel from a lot of makers and my end goal was great accuracy with minimal cost or down down time. Nobody wants to wait 6 months to have a barrel made. I'm currently waiting on a Shilen 7mm BR barrel and its been 5 months now. I have had incredible accuracy from Shaw, and currently X-Caliber. I have shot a lot of Criterion barrels but ran into an issue with one and they are jacking me around on the replacement, done with them! If your linking is blued barrels then E.A. Brown has some really nice chrome-moly barrels that shoot pretty darn good and their bluing is amazing. The key to all this is finding a smith that will actually make you a barrel in a reasonable amount of time, in my opinion 3 weeks is a decent amount of time to make a barrel from a blank. Keeping in mind this is all low cost vs. decent accuracy not top tier barrels.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty Trigger View Post
    I have bought and tried many, many barrel from a lot of makers and my end goal was great accuracy with minimal cost or down down time. Nobody wants to wait 6 months to have a barrel made. I'm currently waiting on a Shilen 7mm BR barrel and its been 5 months now. I have had incredible accuracy from Shaw, and currently X-Caliber. I have shot a lot of Criterion barrels but ran into an issue with one and they are jacking me around on the replacement, done with them! If your linking is blued barrels then E.A. Brown has some really nice chrome-moly barrels that shoot pretty darn good and their bluing is amazing. The key to all this is finding a smith that will actually make you a barrel in a reasonable amount of time, in my opinion 3 weeks is a decent amount of time to make a barrel from a blank. Keeping in mind this is all low cost vs. decent accuracy not top tier barrels.
    Only problem i had with criterion was a ar15 6.5 grendel barrel that they had undersized the gas port. I ended up just touching it myself and it was perfect after that, accurate as heck

Banned
    define decent and accurate.
    define minimal cost
    ( sounds like cheap and impatient).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    define decent and accurate.
    define minimal cost
    ( sounds like cheap and impatient).
    Impatient, you bet. No reason for it to take a whole shooting season to get a barrel made. A lot of places are stocking "ready made" barrels now and those are the one's I'm interested in, screw it on and go shoot. Accuracy, it can be there is the blank is not janked up to start with (my current problem with Criterion) I'm running a Shaw 7mm08 that shoots 10 shots at about 1.750 at 300 yards and a X-caliber 6mm Creedmoor that will shoot an inch at 300 and I have a 6mm BR the can do under 1 inch with 80gr bullets at 300yds. and the most expensive barrel is the BR barrel at $330.00 and all are pre-fits. I shoot a lot and have actually shot out new barrels in one season. Its a little bit easier to throw away worn out barrels that cost less to start with.

Banned
    it is called SUPPLY AND DEMAND.
    IF JUST A BLANK.....one of the top in the country, krieger has often been at 12 months lead time...BECAUSE THEY WILL NOT COMPROMIES QUALITY.
    IF YOU ARE TALKING A GUNSMITH THAT CHAMBERS AND FITS BLANKS...same thing it takes time even it you think not, and they likely have customers in line willing to wait while you settle for mass produces run of the mill stuff.

Impatient, you bet. No reason for it to take a whole shooting season to get a barrel made. A lot of places are stocking "ready made" barrels now and those are the one's I'm interested in, screw it on and go shoot. Accuracy, it can be there is the blank is not janked up to start with (my current problem with Criterion) I'm running a Shaw 7mm08 that shoots 10 shots at about 1.750 at 300 yards and a X-caliber 6mm Creedmoor that will shoot an inch at 300 and I have a 6mm BR the can do under 1 inch with 80gr bullets at 300yds. and the most expensive barrel is the BR barrel at $330.00 and all are pre-fits. I shoot a lot and have actually shot out new barrels in one season. Its a little bit easier to throw away worn out barrels that cost less to start with.

the x ring at 600 yards on an f class target is SEVEN TIMES THE AREA of the x ring on a 600 yard benchrest target.
    not answering the original question.
    Bad data is just that.....Bad data.

And how about adjusting your attitude a bit towards other's posts.
    No need to insult any member, learned or not.

Fuj.....
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Banned
    it is not the first time i have pointed out the large diff in the 2 sports, but people still want to bring up fclass. i assume because savage makes an f class rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Bad data is just that.....Bad data.

And how about adjusting your attitude a bit towards other's posts.
    No need to insult any member, learned or not.

Fuj.....

Banned
    the cactus classic is well known benchrest match held in phoenix az. it brings in shooters from all over the usa and canada, typically around 150 shooters.
    2020 top 20 equipment list had
    9 bartliens
    7 kriegers
    3 leaderers and
    1 hwp

you will notice a lack of a lot of names being tossed around here
    krieger does make a savage drop in.
    i lll get the 2020 nationals when they are published

Basic Member
    the cactus classic is well known benchrest match held in phoenix az. it brings in shooters from all over the usa and canada, typically around 150 shooters.
    2020 top 20 equipment list had
    9 bartliens
    7 kriegers
    3 leaderers and
    1 hwp

you will notice a lack of a lot of names being tossed around here
    krieger does make a savage drop in.
    i lll get the 2020 nationals when they are published
    I've never been much of a follower of " What the Pro's use". While it does good for branding, it doesn't tell the truth.
    A lot of Pro shooter's are sponsored by many companies, and use/promote whatever product they are getting sponsored to use.

In all the years that I've shot custom barrels on my rifle's, I've only had one barrel that I couldn't get to shoot extremely well. Unless you're competing at the Professional level, most shooter's couldn't tell the difference between a premium cut rifled barrel and a button rifled barrel when it comes to performance.

Basic Member
    Curious, does that page you got the 2020 barrel info usage also give other equipment used and ammo components. Im not jumping on any sides here im just curios if it gives anything about recievers or work done to them, ammo components etc.

Banned
    this shows you just how WRONG YOU ARE. IBS AND NBRSA are not professionals..they are club shooters.
    there are 'prodessional' shooters..they do not compete any where near the accuracy levels of competitive bench rest.
    just 100 % wrong
    as far as "most shooter's couldn't tell the difference between a premium cut rifled barrel and a button rifled barrel when it comes to performance. this is a typical statement by a so so shooter trying to justify his personal opinion when he has no facts.
    nice try, just move on there is nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    I've never been much of a follower of " What the Pro's use". While it does good for branding, it doesn't tell the truth..

A lot of Pro shooter's are sponsored by many companies, and use/promote whatever product they are getting sponsored to use.

In all the years that I've shot custom barrels on my rifle's, I've only had one barrel that I couldn't get to shoot extremely well. Unless you're competing at the Professional level, most shooter's couldn't tell the difference between a premium cut rifled barrel and a button rifled barrel when it comes to performance.

Banned
    there is seldom any work done to a custom aftermarket benchrest level receiver. triggers can be timed for better performance.
    the list contains the stock, the stocker, gunsmith bullet powder primer. scope..there is no "ammo" this is all hand loaded custom for the day and conditions.
    ask away or i can point you

Basic Member
    I took Small Group at 600 yards today with a 1.616” group, shooting a Criterion Drop In from Northland Shooting Supply.

A 6mm BR

Banned
    in the original savage stock with the original trigger ?
    6br is a very good round ignored by a lot.
    what type of match ?
    /
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    I took Small Group at 600 yards today with a 1.616” group, shooting a Criterion Drop In from Northland Shooting Supply.

A 6mm BR

Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post

A 6mm BR
    Yeah, that's stickin' it to em'.....
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Yeah, that's stickin' it to em'.....
    1.6 @600 yards is pretty tight) thats what ive come to expect from all my criterion and shilen drop ins. Those are by far my 2 favorites but admittedly there are many others I have not tried

Basic Member
    I know this thread is 2 months old, but I want to mention that I have gotten a number of barrels from Douglas and all have been very good. Also note that Melvin Forbes (NULA) uses Douglas and his rifles have always had a great reputation for accuracy, especially for such light rifles.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345