Thread: Model 24 S-A questions

Model 24 S-A questions

Thanks for adding me to the group. I have a 60s/70s model 24 and absolute cannot stand the trigger. I recently picked up a 40's 22-410 and was impressed with the nicely curved smooth trigger. The trigger on mine has very little curve and squared edges making it quite uncomfortable to pull. Will an older trigger fit on my gun with no modifications? Also, I don't like the mottled orange color of the stock. I believe it's original-probably birch. Does anyone have any tips on stripping and restaining these stocks to something more appealing? Thanks.

Basic Member
    Cant answer your trigger question. There is a Model 24 forum, and they might be able to help you if no one here can.

I have dealt with birch stocks. i strip by soaking in acetone for a week, followed by soaking in isopropyl or denatured alcohol for a week. Let it dry for a week, then start sanding. There are quicker methods.

Birch doesn’t take stain well. I use Fiebings leather dye. Reduce it with alcohol. Mix red and brown to get some nice shades. I do a boiled linseed oil finish over that, followed by Bri-Wax.

Basic Member
    Look on numrich gun parts , under savage model numbers. They have schematics , see if you find a trigger you like. Most of the 24's triggers should be inter changeable. Ebay is another source of gun parts. As for the stock , I use Birchwood Casey True oil. Easy to apply, you can't really mess it up If you want a high shine, do additional coats. Use 0000 steel wool between coats to take off any rough edges.Wipe with a damp rag between coats.

Basic Member
    I see you said "mottled orange stock" Could be a tennite stock , which is plastic. Best thing would be to get a new stock Ebay , or numrich gun sales.

Basic Member
    I dunno, Tenite stocks are distinctly plastic, and distinctly brown.