Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smooth barrel nut...where are they?

Smooth barrel nut...where are they?

Looking for a couple of smooth barrel nuts for standard shank barrel (1.055). Can’t find any.

Basic Member
    I have a few, PM me.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    i HAVE A COUPLE BUT THEY HAVE PIPE WRENCH MARKS ON THEM.

Basic Member
    why would you want a smooth one if they make notched ones...assuming they do for replacements as the smooth ones get damaged.

Thanks all... Found some at Brownells.

Cool man, glad it worked out for you. The one I have has pipe wrench marks on it and is getting ready to go in the trash.

Basic Member
    I've never removed a smooth barrel nut. I thought the special wrench was suppose to allow removal and re-install without marring the nut? I'm guessing not so much?

Basic Member
    I tried to use wrench remove the smooth barrel nut On my rifle last week and the wrench would not get any where close to tight on the nut. However, a little heat and a pipe wrench worked nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadWoodDan View Post
    why would you want a smooth one if they make notched ones...assuming they do for replacements as the smooth ones get damaged.
    Inquiring minds would like to know

2 questions;
    A. How do you intend to get the round nut tight ?
    B. Is the round nut for "looking kool" as opposed to the 8 sided nut ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	280AI.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	7398

I don't know, this one looks pretty dang cool, in my opinion!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 280AI.jpg  

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeltrap View Post
    I've never removed a smooth barrel nut. I thought the special wrench was suppose to allow removal and re-install without marring the nut? I'm guessing not so much?
    Never gonna happen with a factory barrel.
    First Savage I tried with a smooth nut, deformed the wrench designed for it and stripped the nut trying to get enough torque for it to not slip (even with rosin).

Most, take a pipe wrench to the factory nut- and replace with a trued, aftermarket nut.

The barrel shoulder- or the face of the nut, in the case of variable shoulder barrels- is a critical bearing surface aligning the center of the bore to the receiver, and must be precisely at 90 degrees to the threads for best accuracy. Given the few dollars involved, it's a no-brainer to use a precision nut when re-barreling.

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    Never gonna happen with a factory barrel.
    First Savage I tried with a smooth nut, deformed the wrench designed for it and stripped the nut trying to get enough torque for it to not slip (even with rosin).

Most, take a pipe wrench to the factory nut- and replace with a trued, aftermarket nut.

The barrel shoulder- or the face of the nut, in the case of variable shoulder barrels- is a critical bearing surface aligning the center of the bore to the receiver, and must be precisely at 90 degrees to the threads for best accuracy. Given the few dollars involved, it's a no-brainer to use a precision nut when re-barreling.
    My nut (ha ha), is still on the factory barrel. i grabbed the nut with a pipe wrench and the barrel came out of the receiver. i agree, no way a factory smooth nut is coming off with a smooth nut wrench. I think I did see a fancy expensive smooth nut wrench once. But if memory serves, it cost about more than the pipe wrench in my tool box and a good trued nut and lug from NSS.

Basic Member
    Evidently you guys haven't used one of my wrenches. I've knocked hundreds loose with no marring, scratching or deformation. And they all broke loose by hand.....no hammer needed.
    There is nothing wrong with factory nuts,(providing you don't wreck um getting them off) they are just as true as aftermarket.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Evidently you guys haven't used one of my wrenches. I've knocked hundreds loose with no marring, scratching or deformation. And they all broke loose by hand.....no hammer needed.
    There is nothing wrong with factory nuts,(providing you don't wreck um getting them off) they are just as true as aftermarket.
    Does it even matter when your recoil lug is stamped?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Evidently you guys have used one of my wrenches. I've knocked hundreds loose with no marring, scratching or deformation. And they all broke loose by hand.....no hammer needed.
    That wrench looks quality for sure (website photo). However, I can order an action, barrel, lug, nut, and action wrench in 5 minutes (confirmation email arrives like magic) and skip the; print the form, fill out the form, find envelope, write check, find stamp and mail. And then wonder when it will arrive at my door.

EDIT: I don't mean this disrespectfully. i'm just saying, a pipe wrench in the toolbox and a quick internet order of a nut is painless and makes the "cost" of ruining an ugly (IMO) smooth factory nut a moot point.

Basic Member
    This hasn't been my experience even with the limited number of Savages that come into the shop.
    I have (shop made) tooling to true the face of factory nuts when they're not replaced, and almost all require at least a couple thousandths to clean up. Whether that's enough to manifest at the target if it weren't done, might be arguable. But, just like facing a receiver- it's SOP for me; takes but a few minutes to do it- and I don't have to worry about whether it is, or isn't...

Smooth Barrel Nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter0302 View Post
    Inquiring minds would like to know
    A gunsmith friend of mine was looking for a couple and I was trying to help him. His customer likes the look of the smooth nuts.

This hasn't been my experience even with the limited number of Savages that come into the shop.
    I have (shop made) tooling to true the face of factory nuts when they're not replaced, and almost all require at least a couple thousandths to clean up. Whether that's enough to manifest at the target if it weren't done, might be arguable. But, just like facing a receiver- it's SOP for me; takes but a few minutes to do it- and I don't have to worry about whether it is, or isn't...
    Going the extra mile/thousandths of an inch for a customer. Well done sir and I would appreciate it if I took a rifle to your business.

Basic Member

You've basically made my point when you said "if they're not replaced". New factory nuts are just as true as after market......if you seen how they are made,they can't be anything but square and true.
    Once you tighten a nut up on a stamped distorted lug, it will take the same shape. The smooth barrel nuts are stronger, and bigger in diameter.

You've basically made my point when you said "if they're not replaced". New factory nuts are just as true as after market......if you seen how they are made,they can't be anything but square and true.
    Once you tighten a nut up on a stamped distorted lug, it will take the same shape. The smooth barrel nuts are stronger, and bigger in diameter.
    Who's aftermarket nuts have you compared to factory Savage nuts?

Basic Member
    OK, what is their manufacturing process?

OK, what is their manufacturing process?
    https://youtu.be/mReFsWPA8NQ

Hah!

Basic Member
    They are turned on a Swiss type multi axis CNC machining center. Material is loaded from one end and finished nuts come out the other.

They are turned on a Swiss type multi axis CNC machining center. Material is loaded from one end and finished nuts come out the other.
    Who's aftermarket nuts have you compared to factory Savage nuts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast