Thread: My Savage 840 30-30 before & after

My Savage 840 30-30 before & after

Had a gunsmith refinish the stock on my Dad's old 840 earlier this past spring. I do not think this was the original factory stock. Regardless, my Dad acquired this rifle second hand back in the very early 1970s and has been on many whitetail hunts since over three generations. This gun still gets used heavy each year.

Took the old Weaver side mount off, replaced it with the B-Square mount. The new mount allows the use of the iron sights now. Added a lightly used Burris Fullfield II 3x9 to replace the old scope. Color and clarity are significantly improved.

The barrel is stamped "10N" which puts its manufacture date in 1962, if I understand correctly. Also stamped "SP" in an oval.

Thought you would enjoy seeing this restoration. The 840 is ready for another 50 years!

Nice, Thanks for sharing!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I think it is the original stock, or at least a look alike.
    Im surprised your dad didnt have that type mount to begin with, as many Pa deer hunters preferred that setup back in those days.
    We used to cut wide rubber bands from old tire tubes to keep the snow and rain off the scope lenses.
    Today when it snows or rains we stay in camp. lol