I have a Savage M-10 LE Precision Carbine in .223. It's a great rifle and shoots very tiny groups using Varget and 68gr. bullets.

What I'd like to do is "move up" to a 6mm cartridge. A .243 is fine and of course there is the new 6mm Needmore that I could go to. Both are short action and would install quite well on the M-10.

Now, Savage does not make my specific model any more but they do make one similar. My model has accutrigger, Accustock, and a threaded barrel as well as the digital camo stock.

I figure if I sold the .223 and then bought a new 6mm (whatever cartridge....pick your poison as I reload for everything so ammo cost really isn't an issue) the "net" cost to me would be anywhere from $200 to $300.

So...I could buy a new Shilen barrel for maybe $350 and have a better than factory barrel.....and I can assume (as I've rebarreled two other Savage's with Shilen's) great accuracy.

I don't know if I could sell the existing .223 factory barrel for all that much, but it does have a threaded muzzle which is worth something to those with suppressors.

Any thoughts on this?