Thread: Help To ID Savage Rifle!

Basic Member

Help To ID Savage Rifle!

Hi,
    I'm looking at a pretty worn Savage Left Hand 110 in 22-250.

I assume from what I have searched on that it would be a long action with a staggered magazine?

Would this be correct and if so, if I wanted to get a stock, how would I know it will work with that type mag?

Any help is of course appreciated really wanting the rifle for a build as LH Actions are hard to come by!

All early Savages were long action. Is the receiver cut for the shorter 22-250 magazine or a long mag with a block for the shorter cartridge?
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    You really need a serial number (last three digits “X” out). Some actions are not suited for upgrades or builds and a serial number would help with making an ID (or something like that).

Basic Member
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Contact Savage with your questions, giving them the serial number. They will tell you.

Basic Member
    Hi,
    Ok, I did some horse trading and got the rifle in hand.

It is a Savage LH Model 110DL Series H, SN A342XXX

It has the Blind Box Mag attached to the reciever and a block for spacing the Long action.

Is this capable of being built anyway I want to do it, meaning removing box using CDI bottom metal or what ever I decide?

Don't know yet what I'm going to do, actually wondering if the Savage Barrel is any good or to rebarrel, rechamber, more questions, than answers right now???

Detachable magazines will be a tough road to hoe. The long action has a 5.025 screw spacing. You might be able to do something custom with a center fed long action DBM but that might require milling the underside of the action. The fact that it is a stagger feed is not as much of a headache as it being a short action round long action. Keep the stock and put any short action caliber you want on it.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Hi,
    Well....I tried to get a hold of someone at Savage and got tired of waiting to talk to someone???

I am still scrubbing the barrel out but so far looks very good better than I thought I would see on this rifle.

I took some pics but don't see how to upload on this site???

I thought the stock was horrid when I first looked at it, has the impressed checkering probably from the early 70's, and the stock wood looked rough all around but now I think it is the crummy stain/finish they or someone used, looks like they brushed it on, maybe "Bubba"???

Might just strip the stock, do a hand repoint on the impressed checkering new pad and then bed the action, it might just shoot lights out with a good scope and some TLC?

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    I took some pics but don't see how to upload on this site???
    Need to be a Team Savage member to upload pics. If you don't want to do that, you can use a pic hosting site and provide a link.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Need to be a Team Savage member to upload pics. If you don't want to do that, you can use a pic hosting site and provide a link.

Hi,
    That's a shame, but it's not my site...

And seems there's no sticky's to help date a rifle on here.

Heard this was the place to get ALL the info on Savage Rifles, but...

So far unimpressed!

Basic Member
    Look at the FAQ section for determining the manufacturing date, there is also lots of general info in there as well.

Basic Member
    Hi,
    That's a shame, but it's not my site...

And seems there's no sticky's to help date a rifle on here.

Heard this was the place to get ALL the info on Savage Rifles, but...

So far unimpressed!
    The "sticky" at the beginning of this section in the forum (Savage 110-series rifles) only shows the year it was made (yours 1969) but if you need to know the actual day then you will have to contact Savage.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    Look at the FAQ section for determining the manufacturing date, there is also lots of general info in there as well.

Hi,
    Thanks!

I am putting together a file that will have everything you need. If you can wait until Saturday afternoon you wont have to look for anything. No searching or digging around on this slouch of a website. I will PM you everything I have.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I am putting together a file that will have everything you need. If you can wait until Saturday afternoon you wont have to look for anything. No searching or digging around on this slouch of a website. I will PM you everything I have.
    Hi,
    Thanks, mnbogboy2 answered my question, but yes, seems there should be a list or legend that is easily accessable to date any model of Savage Rifle on here.

Why someone has to be "special" to post pics (easily done on most other Forums???) and share info is another dissapointment and does nothing to further the usefulness of this Forum!

So yes a lot of improvements could be made, but that is just my opinion and with that and a quarter you can trip downtown and buy a donut!

Team Savage

Why someone has to be "special" to post pics (easily done on most other Forums???) and share info is another dissapointment and does nothing to further the usefulness of this Forum!

May 2017...

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant
    Hi,

I was going to put up a pic but see no way to do it?

Maybe you have to have so many posts?????
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanhawaii
    If you have a paid membership you can load pics right from your computer.

Basic Member
    Originally Posted by gmanhawaii If you have a paid membership you can load pics right from your computer.

Hi,
    Yea, I get it!

That's to bad and cuts a LOT of info we could have on this Forum.

A Fund drive once a year would be better, ALL the way around, and make this Forum carry more info with more participation, but..

Like I said, not my Forum, and you can lead them to water, but???