Thread: Savage Springfield 187M

Savage Springfield 187M

So since I've been pretty much confined to the house for five months now I have been pulling out guns that haven't gotten out to play in decades and giving them a Spa Day. The most recent is my old Click/Clack that I think I bought the year I got married, so late 1967 or 1968. I know it hasn't been shot in at least two decades but still looks great and after some cleaning all seems to be working except for one thing. Honestly, I think it worked last time I shot it but then again, I have to admit I have no honest answer. The issue is the bolt hold open feature where you pull the bolt back and push the handle in to lock it back (or closed if using in SA mode). The bolt is hitting something and I cannot imagine what it might be.

Open to all suggestions but getting the damn metal arm off the safety switch is a pain so really hope to have a good idea of what I need to do before heading back in.
    Last edited by jar_; 08-12-2020 at 11:04 AM. Reason: appalin spallin

Basic Member
    May require some dis-assembly to figure out the problem, especially if it hasn't been shot for a long time, maybe some dried up lube and crude!!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    May require some dis-assembly to figure out the problem, especially if it hasn't been shot for a long time, maybe some dried up lube and crude!!
    That would be my guess . . . .DRIED CRUD!!!

Jar . . .

How ‘bout removing the stock and soaking ENTIRE action in a bucket of kerosene for a day or two.

I’m thinking no further disassembly will be necessary . . . .just work the action/bolt after . . . .or during . . . the soak.

I did a pretty full disassembly and clean up but there's always the chance it's something I missed. I will continue to try CLP and such but it's definitely hitting something metallic when I try to lock the bolt back. I can't figure out what it could hit. The Click Clack function works fine and who knows, I may have just lived with that instead of pushing the handle in to lock the bolt back. Am pretty sure I never used it in single shot mode so that tells me nothing.

I hate fighting the metal tab off the safety so wanted to avoid that again until the bleeding stopped from last time or at least line up the likely suspects first.
    Last edited by jar_; 08-13-2020 at 09:34 PM. Reason: applain spallin

Update. So pulled the barrel and action out of the frame to try again but before messing with the safety tried a last time to get the bolt to lock back
    .................................................. ......................................
    which of course it did.

Hate it when that happens.

Basic Member
    I guess the intimidation factor was enough to fix it!! :)

Could be. It was definitely hitting something metallic though which is still a concern. Since it just slides through into a hole on the other side of the action there shouldn't be anything metallic to hit. My only idea is that the bolt was just not coming back far enough to line up with the hole but visually it looked like it was lined up perfectly.

So there goes yet another item into the "That's interesting" box.

AbE:

Last edited by jar_; 08-17-2020 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add image