Thread: 300 win mag to 338 conversion

Basic Member

300 win mag to 338 conversion

I have a factory savage 110 in 300 win mag and I'm wondering if I need anything other than the barrel to convert it over? I assume it's the same bolt head but is the barrel thread size the same? It has a blind magazine will that work for 338? Thanks!

My wife now you. 338 What?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    My wife now you. 338 What?
    Huh?

Basic Member
    If you're referring to the 338 Win Mag then yes, all you will need is a barrel and headspace gauges.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Longranger View Post
    Huh?
    338 Federal
    338 Marlin Express
    338 Win Mag
    338 RCM
    338 RUM
    338 Lapua

Plus all the wildcats...
    If you're referring to the mighty Lapua, nope. See the sticky at the top of the Forum.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    338 Federal
    338 Marlin Express
    338 Win Mag
    338 RCM
    338 RUM
    338 Lapua

Plus all the wildcats...
    If you're referring to the mighty Lapua, nope. See the sticky at the top of the Forum.
    Sorry I thought I put it in the title, yeah I meant 338 win mag. Good to hear it'll be an easy conversion.
    If anyone here has a 338 win mag barrel they'd want to trade for a low round count 300 win mag barrel or just sell outright let me know.

338 Federal
    338 Marlin Express
    338 Win Mag
    338 RCM
    338 RUM
    338 Lapua

Plus all the wildcats...
    Thanks tobnpr

338 win mag is an awesome round if that is what you need.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have another question about headspace, I already have a 300 win mag no-go Guage, do I really need the go Guage also?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Longranger View Post
    I have another question about headspace, I already have a 300 win mag no-go Guage, do I really need the go Guage also?
    Absolutely.
    The reverse would be so; if you have a go, you don't really need the no-go.
    Set headspace with the go, add a layer of cellophane packing tape trimmed to fit the back of the case. Bolt handle(stripped bolt) shouldn't fall.

IOW, you can make a go gauge "longer" to emulate a no-go, but ya can't shorten a no-go to make a "go".

Basic Member
    Absolutely.
    The reverse would be so; if you have a go, you don't really need the no-go.
    Set headspace with the go, add a layer of cellophane packing tape trimmed to fit the back of the case. Bolt handle(stripped bolt) shouldn't fall.

IOW, you can make a go gauge "longer" to emulate a no-go, but ya can't shorten a no-go to make a "go".
    Would it be possible to use a new piece of brass as a go? Since I already have the no go there would be no danger I'm doing that as long as the bolt won't close on the no go correct?

Basic Member
    ^^^
    Yes, with caveats.
    If you handload, run several cases through your FL sizing die (I wouldn't use "virgin" brass outta the bag), measure with headspace comparator. You'll often end up with a thou or two difference, pick the longest one to use.

Pulling the bullets on a factory case, bit more risky but should work for that ammo. Using a proper headspace gauge ensures SAAMI spec on headspace so that any factory ammo should chamber.
    Using factory, or sized brass, could limit the ability of other ammo to chamber properly.

When using brass to set headspace be sure to completely strip the bolt so there is no resistance. Unlike a hardened steel gauge, it's easy to deform a brass shoulder by a few thousandths with too much pressure and cause an inaccurate reading.

JMO, YMMV.

Basic Member
    ^^^
    Yes, with caveats.
    If you handload, run several cases through your FL sizing die (I wouldn't use "virgin" brass outta the bag), measure with headspace comparator. You'll often end up with a thou or two difference, pick the longest one to use.

Pulling the bullets on a factory case, bit more risky but should work for that ammo. Using a proper headspace gauge ensures SAAMI spec on headspace so that any factory ammo should chamber.
    Using factory, or sized brass, could limit the ability of other ammo to chamber properly.

When using brass to set headspace be sure to completely strip the bolt so there is no resistance. Unlike a hardened steel gauge, it's easy to deform a brass shoulder by a few thousandths with too much pressure and cause an inaccurate reading.

JMO, YMMV.
    That's good info thanks! I got the no go gauge for next to nothing and my thinking is as long as I'm not being unsafe by having too much headspace I don't mind fiddling with it a bit to get everything to chamber since savages are so easy to adjust the headspace on. Thus is the thought process of a cheapskate lol. Thanks again!