Thread: Savage vs Ruger 7mm-08 Slow Twist

Basic Member

Savage vs Ruger 7mm-08 Slow Twist

So I was planning on getting a 7mm-08 barrel for my savage but they all seem to be slow twist rates. Whereas the ruger american 7mm-08 has an 8.5" twist which is right where I want it. Did savage make any 7mm-08 in a 9" or faster twist? And if I got the ruger would I get similar accuracy to what I expect out of the savages?

Where are you looking for Prefits ??? X Cal. , Criterion, Shilen, and Preferred barrel Blanks, ALL have 1-8 T .284 BBl's. Bbl's

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter0302 View Post
    Where are you looking for Prefits ??? X Cal. , Criterion, Shilen, and Preferred barrel Blanks, ALL have 1-8 T .284 BBl's. Bbl's
    Was looking more for factory take offs. Looking for a lightweight budget gun with a sporter barrel for hunting backcountry, I was thinking I could just get a regular factory savage take off barrel in 7mm-08 and put it on my 110 reciever but it seems like the factory stuff is all slow twists compared to the ruger

What are you planning on shooting that the extra .5" of twist is going to make a difference?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorce1 View Post
    What are you planning on shooting that the extra .5" of twist is going to make a difference?
    .5? Show me a factory savage that has a 9" twist

Tomorrow I'll measure an assortment of 7 MM bullets and list their length,
    as far as a take off sporter Wt. Bbl. probably your chance of finding one is like finding hen's teeth in finding one, and then it's a guess if it will shoot Min. of what ever animal you plan to hunt.
    Since the list of business's that made / sold Prefits was taken down, you might check on e bay, or if you can wait a couple of months X Cal. Barrels usually has a "black Friday sale"
    http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

Quote Originally Posted by Longranger View Post
    Rem. put a 9.25 T in their 7-08, and in the early days of NRA rifle silhouettes , A woman won the Nat. Championship using a stock 700 in 7-08.
    My point is that a 9.5 T will stabilize any bullet that the 7-08 case can push fast enough for kills on most lower 48 animals.

I miss read the OP, there isn't a 7mm cartridge that's on my radar that I want to try. I didn't look to see what Savage uses for a barrel twist rate. So what bullets do you want to use that an 8.5 twist is needed?

Basic Member
    From what I've been reading 9.5 twist is marginal for 175s, I'd rather know for sure I can stabilize those with a 9 or 8.5. But I'm also seeing a lot of the older savage 7mm-08 barrels we're 11" twist so I'm worried about getting one of those slow things if I get a take off barrel.

I'd just order a custom prefit 1:8 twist and be done. It gets you what you want unless you just want an excuse to buy the Ruger. My buddies wife shoots the Ruger American Go Wild in 7-08, they both really like it as he often steals it.

Team Savage
    What in the world are you going to shoot that needs a 175? If you need that much weight, go with a 30 cal.

Bill

Basic Member
    @Longranger, I'm not sure why folks are questioning you rather than helping.

I know Savage makes a 1:9 twist for the Axis 7-08 barrels. I'd assume the same twist rate is used on all currently manufactured Savage 7-08 barrels.

You're correct about 1:9 twist marginally stabilizing 175gr bullets. Here's a good calculator for figuring out ideal twist rate. https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

If you want a factory rifle that needs no adjustment to stabilize 175gr bullets, buy the Ruger. I read good things about the accuracy of Ruger American rifles. I don't personally own one though.

If you want to start with a factory rifle and install an aftermarket barrel that will handle heavy 7mm bullets, then a Savage rifle is a good place to start. I'd suggest a different cartridge than 7-08 for 175gr and larger bullets though. The 7-08 can do it, but other cartridges can do it better. One example is the 284 Winchester and another is the .280 AI. The .280 AI requires a long action though.

I'm a big fan of 7mm bullets. I've shot and loaded most of the available 7mm bullets from 120gr to 197gr in calibers from the 7-30 Waters to the 7mm STW.

IMO, the sweet spot caliber for 175gr bullets is the 280 AI. I'm a recoil weenie so I like a good recoil pad and a muzzle brake for bullets larger than 150gr.

I apologise for being long winded. If none of this applies, then please disregard.

I'd just order a custom prefit 1:8 twist and be done. It gets you what you want unless you just want an excuse to buy the Ruger. My buddies wife shoots the Ruger American Go Wild in 7-08, they both really like it as he often steals it.
    From James at NSS

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/b...terion-savage/

Basic Member
    Double post

Basic Member
    True but I can get the ruger american for about the same price as just the prefit and have a whole extra gun. I was just hoping savage had made some in at least 9" but I guess not. I'm just hesitant on the ruger, I have an m77 but never had an American I know they're no m77 quality wise. People seem to like them though

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsekf View Post
    What in the world are you going to shoot that needs a 175? If you need that much weight, go with a 30 cal.

Bill
    I have a 338 win mag for bigger stuff but it's a heavy pig, I don't know that I'd even use 175 as I'm sure 160s would be fine for elk but I'd like the option of at least trying them. I like the idea of duplicating the old 7mm mauser loads which were shot in under 9" twist rifles iirc. I don't understand the point of savage using the slower twist, 9.5" is marginal and 11" is just ridiculous. I even punched in the specs for the 110gr Barnes into the calculator that Apollo linked and they stabilize fine out of 8.5", so I don't understand the slow twist at all. It's like having a 12" twist 30-06 barrel what's the point?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    @Longranger, I'm not sure why folks are questioning you rather than helping.

I know Savage makes a 1:9 twist for the Axis 7-08 barrels. I'd assume the same twist rate is used on all currently manufactured Savage 7-08 barrels.

You're correct about 1:9 twist marginally stabilizing 175gr bullets. Here's a good calculator for figuring out ideal twist rate. https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

If you want a factory rifle that needs no adjustment to stabilize 175gr bullets, buy the Ruger. I read good things about the accuracy of Ruger American rifles. I don't personally own one though.

If you want to start with a factory rifle and install an aftermarket barrel that will handle heavy 7mm bullets, then a Savage rifle is a good place to start. I'd suggest a different cartridge than 7-08 for 175gr and larger bullets though. The 7-08 can do it, but other cartridges can do it better. One example is the 284 Winchester and another is the .280 AI. The .280 AI requires a long action though.

I'm a big fan of 7mm bullets. I've shot and loaded most of the available 7mm bullets from 120gr to 197gr in calibers from the 7-30 Waters to the 7mm STW.

IMO, the sweet spot caliber for 175gr bullets is the 280 AI. I'm a recoil weenie so I like a good recoil pad and a muzzle brake for bullets larger than 150gr.

I apologise for being long winded. If none of this applies, then please disregard.
    No that's great info, not long winded at all. I agree on the 175s being heavy for the caliber and there's a good chance I wouldn't even use them but I'd like to keep my options open. I punched in the specs for the 110gr Barnes into the calculator that you linked and they stabilize fine out of 8.5", so I don't understand the slow twist at all.
    I'd like to stick with the 08 rather than 280 or 7 mag for commonality and the recoil, the idea is a sub 6 pound (without scope) rifle and itd be nice to have something pleasant to shoot.

For what it's worth.. My Father has a 7MM Mag with a 25" barrel on it with 8.5 twist. HE could only get 2825 FPS with the 175 gr. using Retumbo. He gets over 3000 fps with a 162 ELDX using reloader 26.

I'd like to stick with the 08 rather than 280 or 7 mag for commonality and the recoil, the idea is a sub 6 pound (without scope) rifle and itd be nice to have something pleasant to shoot.
    I really like the idea of the 7mm-08. I'm still load developing on my recent 280AI build but I did order an action from NSS the other day for a possible 08 build.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    I really like the idea of the 7mm-08. I'm still load developing on my recent 280AI build but I did order an action from NSS the other day for a possible 08 build.
    Double post

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    For what it's worth.. My Father has a 7MM Mag with a 25" barrel on it with 8.5 twist. HE could only get 2825 FPS with the 175 gr. using Retumbo. He gets over 3000 fps with a 162 ELDX using reloader 26.
    That's strange, nosler shows 2970 for RL22, nothing for retumbo. Even so, those heavies don't need much speed to kill, especially put of the 7 mag they're gonna buck the wind and retain energy like crazy, just need to know your dope. Berger has a 190 grain that needs 8.3" or better twist but I think that's probably past the point of diminishing returns for the 7 mag, around 180gr seems like the sweet spot. Probably close to 150-160 for the 08 but Id like to keep my options open and I don't see any downside to an 8.5 twist other than availability