Thread: Stevens 22-410 firing pin replacement

Stevens 22-410 firing pin replacement

Hello. I own an old Stevens 22-410. Tennite stock. Barrel stamped A. The 22 firing pin was not operating. After removing the retaining screw I had to tap it out. I cleaned the area but I'm having a problem re inserting the firing pin & spring. It seems to be to tight to fit. I'm not sure if it needs to be pressed in or should it just fall in place. Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Basic Member
    Cock the hammer. Put a piece of tissue in the gap , so the pin doesn't fall into the action.You may still have gunk in the hole .I use brake cleaner on a q -tip, and clean it good. You should not have had to tap it out. It should just fall out.Was it the right pin to begin with.? Look it up on Numrich gun parts to be sure. The rifle pin flat should be perpendicular to the flat side of the pin to get a good hit. When you get it in ,it should just slip in . tighten the screw on the flat ,just so it will slip in and out. Sounds like dirt in the hole. The 410 is a different pin , and it does not have a spring on it.

Thanks for the input. It's an old gun and that's the pin that was in it when I got it. It was frozen in place. I'd post a picture of the pin but I don't think I can. I'll re clean with brake cleaner and try again.

Took a nylon small bore brush and stuck it in my screw gun. Light brake cleaner. Couldn't believe the amount of gunk. After that pin dropped right in. Thanks again for your input.

Basic Member
    Glad it worked out for you. When you tighten the locking screw ,push in on the pin to be sure the screw tightens on the flat part of the pin.The pin should slide back and forth.