Thread: I just assembled my first Savage rifle. It is shockingly accurate. I seriously doubt I had anything to do with it.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

I just assembled my first Savage rifle. It is shockingly accurate. I seriously doubt I had anything to do with it.

I say assembled because screwing together a bunch of parts can't be called building. I'm no gunsmith but I thought this was within my ability. It took me a while to gather all the parts and I'm not quite finished as I want to change a few things.

1. Savage 3-screw target action, right bolt, right port, PT&G Magnum faced bolt head, SSS extractor kit, NSS barrel nut and recoil lug.

2. X-Caliber barrel, 300 Remington Ultra Mag, 416R, large shank, 26", 1:7" twist, 5R rifling, #28 Savage Big Varmint contour, 5-straight flutes, threaded muzzle, X-Terminator muzzle brake, cryogenic treatment (it was free).

3. H-S Precision Pro-Series 2000 stock. 3-screw single shot, aluminum bed, black w/white web.

4. Steiner T5Xi 5-25X56, MRAD, illuminated reticle, scope.

5. Burris XTR Signature rings, 3-screw, aluminum, polymer inserts.

6. EGW -20- MOA aluminum Picatinny mount.

I sighted it in with factory Hornady 300 Remington Ultra Mag 220 grain ELD-X Precision Hunter 2910 FPS.
    I used a Wheeler green laser to get it on paper at 50 yards after zeroing it in at home. It worked with no problem. I had a Caldwell Lead Sled FCX with 35 lb's of lead shot in the bag and it still bounced the whole thing back four or five inches. However, when I moved to the 100 yard targets, it shot three 5-shot groups that made one ragged hole. It was amazing. I let the barrel cool down between every few shots so things didn't cook.

As happy as I am I want to change a couple of things. I've decided I don't like the bladed Savage Target Accutriger. The trigger is super safe but I just don't like the blade style so I've ordered a Rifle Basix SAV-2. I have more than a couple of Timney's and they're all good but most people moving from Savage triggers seem to be going to the Rifle Basix. I'm also going to be changing to a Bench Source scope mount. Not much of a reason other than it's 7075 instead of 6061. I'm also likely to trade out the bolt handle for a Tactical Works.

I have a LabRadar unit so once I get it all reassembled I'll be out seeing how things go. I'll be working up handloads using Retumbo and Sierra 200gr Matchking HPBT (B/C .715).

Great job man.

Basic Member
    Looks like you got a good barrel...congrats!!!

Awesome, It is too bad they do not make a long target action.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    It's true, the Remington Ultra Mag is big but the only time it's a problem is if I have to take out a loaded round. If I do, then I have to remove the bolt with the round clamped to the bolt face. Other than that, there's no issue. The loaded round goes in easily and the empty case has more than enough room to eject.

Love it when a plan comes together !! Yeah, triggers are preferential.
    I personally like the blades on accu-triggers since I'm fond of 2 stage
    triggers. What weight did you set the trigger to ?? I like to clip a coil
    off the blade spring, then stretch it a bit, and reinstall.

Robinhood mentioned about the lack of a long range target action. In this
    day and age with long range shooting as popular as it is, Savage is no
    doubt missing the boat. My bucket list is long, and I had to buy another
    stove just for the things I put on the back burner, but I always envisioned
    the 111LRH action with a solid bottom and going 4 screws !! Maybe the
    Lapua action if one should ever come my way.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    So the fact it shot what it shot is absolutely due to the H-S stock and aluminum bed that the Savage action rigidly bolts into and the X-Caliber barrel that screws into that and the Caldwell FCX Lead Sled that solidly holds it all. The Steiner scope appears to me like the freakin' Hubble.

Ultimately, all I actually did was make sure ALL the screws were tight and torqued to the right numbers.

One last thing. Forgive me if you guys already are all up on this. I read some reviews about a cheap bore scope that was supposed to be amazing! Like the last gazzilion. I've wasted my money on that last Last Lyman that was supposed to be great, it wasn't. The picture was at best poor and it died, twice. Lyman replaced it no questions asked which tells me death was very a common occurrence.
    Back to the review. I decided to bite. I bough the Teslong Rifle Borescope, 0.2inch Digital Gun Barrel Bore Scope off Amazon for $49.99 not expecting it to be worth $4.99. It has two cables, one an LED camera, one a USB cable. You also get a mini USB adapter for your phone. You also get three mirrors that all look the same to me and some simple directions. I plugged it into my Windows 10 laptop, turned on the camera in Windows and presto-change-o this darn thing produced an incredible picture of the bore! And I mean incredible! I could see where I had copper fouling that I didn't even remotely get out. I could also see why this X-Caliber barrel shot well, at least by my uneducated eyes, it was perfect. There was not a scratch, blemish or wavy anything. It was perfect, even at the forcing cone.
    Is this $50.00 borecam better than a $1000.00 Hawkeye? I have no idea. I've never seen one of those nor will I ever. Is it worth $50.00? You betcha it is. This will blow your sox off for $50.00. They make one that's rigid for $75.00. That might well be better for rifle barrels because you have to fool with the floppy one a bit more I'm guessing. Here's a link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    Is this $50.00 borecam better than a $1000.00 Hawkeye? I have no idea. I've never seen one of those nor will I ever. Is it worth $50.00? You betcha it is. This will blow your sox off for $50.00.
    A lot of us know about the Teslong and everyone agrees it's the shizz....easily the best value in borescopes.

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bullet touching lands.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	172.8 KB 
ID:	7378

Here is a Teslong view of my unfired X-caliber barrel in 6.5 CM. In this pic I have seated a 142 SMK and sanded off the bullet nose down to the Ogive to capture a view of the bullet touching lands. The face of the bullet has been coated black with a sharpie, but still looks highly reflective in the Teslong view.

The machine work on this barrel was absolutely superb, and in this picture you can see the top of the lead on the land at the viewers 9 o'clock position.

You're dedicated work will show on the target, I'm sure. Sounds like you did a great job on your first home build Savage. Congratulations!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.