Thread: Axis II Overwatch 280AI

Basic Member

Axis II Overwatch 280AI

Built a custom barreled (24") 280 AI on a stainless 110 LA in a Hogue full bedding block stock. It's shot so well I wanted to do a shorter barreled lighter rifle in the same cartridge. Looked at all the Savages including the ultralite as well as Kimbers and a couple of others. For some reason I kept gravitating back to the AXIS II Overwatch.  20" barrel, stainless, cerakoted with the accutrigger for just over $400.

Well pun intended, I pulled the trigger and broke in the barrel today. Shot factory Federal with the 168 Berger Hybrid. I had to wait for a couple of guys to finish on the sight in steel and since I was only one or two and clean I was just sending them at my target stand but wasn't on paper yet. The three shot group below was after two on the sighter steel and three on paper for an initial zero.

Needless to say I'm super happy. Only thing I modified was using some 300 grit on the left side of the barrel channel as while it was free floated looked like it was still rubbing took about ten minutes and now it looks perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 280AI Axis Federal 168 Berger CH factory.jpg  

Basic Member
    That's a great group. I shoot the HSM with 168 Bergers in my 700 in 7MAG and get excellent groups but I wish they would hold together a bit more. I hadn't heard about the Overwatch before and had to look it up.

Basic Member
    New model and if the barrel was threaded I probably would have picked one up earlier. The other kicker for me was the 5R rifling. I have an older 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 Creed that is bone stock and keeps me competitive out to 1000 yards especially in the factory stock class where the barrel has to be stamped from the manufacturer. Also FWIW I the stock is very stiff in the fore-end even probably more so than a 16 LWH I had in 6.5 Creed.

Basic Member
    Nice group. How much does the rifle weigh scoped? How’s the recoil?