Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyds barrel dimension oddity.

Basic Member

Boyds barrel dimension oddity.

Like many, I have a 12FV. And, like many, I'm thinking of swapping the factory stock for a Boyds. I've noticed the dimension listed for the model 12 is smaller than for the model 10 or 11. Even the Axis is listed as having a bigger barrel channel.

This is what comes up when I compare the Pro Varmint ( I'd actually prefer the Heritage, but just using the Pro Varmint to keep it the same ).

12 top bolt release, blind mag, center feed, bull barrel:
    Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 5/16" and Point B = 3/4"

10 top bolt release, blind mag, center feed, bull barrel:
    Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 5/16" and Point B = 1 1/16"

11 top bolt release, blind mag, center feed, bull barrel:
    Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 5/16" and Point B = 1 1/16"

Axis, detachable mag, bull barrel:
    Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 1/3" and Point B = 59/64"

Am I missing something? What is everyone getting for their 12FV's?

Basic Member
    Buy whatever stock you like,if the barrel channel needs to be opened up for your barrel it only takes a few minutes with a piece of pvc pipe and sandpaper wrapped around it to open the barrel channel up.
    I've had to do it on every Boyds stock I've ever bought because they never offer a LH stock with a Varmint barrel inlet.

What is the dimension of your barrel at point B?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I bot the Prairie hunter for one of my rifles. -- The forend doesn't have enough extra "meat" around it to be able to open it up far enough for a bull or Heavy Varmint barrel without losing the flats. It will accommodate up to a Heavy Sporter but that's about it. Heritage would be similar.

The Pro Varmint-- Has way more available meat around the forend. Bull barrel is no problem for that stock.

I too am planning on getting a new stock for a Savage 12FV and considering Boyds as one of the options.

But for 12FV, isn't it better to just get the stock for 10 Short Action, blind mag, center feed & bull-barrel rather than getting the stock for a 12 with narrower barrel channel?

I thought Boyds stocks for 10 and 12FV are pretty much identical except the barrel channel?
    Can someone with experience/knowledge please confirm this?

Basic Member
    Dang, I cant find it, but I bought a 12FV 223 and put a boyds AT One and it was pretty much a dropin. I had to trim a bit around the trigger guard but other than that I dont remember doing in any other until
    I went ahead and glass bedded it. But, I did not have to do anything for the barrel channel I do know that.

I just went in on boyds and selected the AT one, 12 Top bolt release, short action, center feed blind mag and bull barrel.. I believe this is the one I purchased,
    and i have a bit of room around the barrel on the sides.

BTW, I love the stock and the gun

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by audix99 View Post
    I too am planning on getting a new stock for a Savage 12FV and considering Boyds as one of the options.

But for 12FV, isn't it better to just get the stock for 10 Short Action, blind mag, center feed & bull-barrel rather than getting the stock for a 12 with narrower barrel channel?

I thought Boyds stocks for 10 and 12FV are pretty much identical except the barrel channel?
    Can someone with experience/knowledge please confirm this?
    This is the question I'm also trying to get answered, but so far everyone is commenting on other things.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyerwy View Post
    Dang, I cant find it, but I bought a 12FV 223 and put a boyds AT One and it was pretty much a dropin. I had to trim a bit around the trigger guard but other than that I dont remember doing in any other until
    I went ahead and glass bedded it. But, I did not have to do anything for the barrel channel I do know that.

I just went in on boyds and selected the AT one, 12 Top bolt release, short action, center feed blind mag and bull barrel.. I believe this is the one I purchased,
    and i have a bit of room around the barrel on the sides.

BTW, I love the stock and the gun

The At-One is listed as having a larger barrel channel the the rest for that selection. It's listed this way: Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 5/16" and Point B = 1 1/16"

Quote Originally Posted by BBQ365 View Post
    This is the question I'm also trying to get answered, but so far everyone is commenting on other things.
    I emailed Boyds and got an answer.

My question:
    "The barrel channel for 12 bull barrel listed is narrower than the one for 10, and I prefer wider channel.
    Will it be okay to get a stock for 10 top release, blind mag, center feed, bull barrel for Cabelas exclusive 12FV or do I need to get one for 12?"

Answer from Boyds:
    "You can get one for the 10 if you would like as they interchange."

Hope this helps.

What I understood was you asked about barrel channel. I suggested you measure your barrel. If you don't have a pair of calipers or a way to measure the barrel, then the question you want answered is the diameter of the barrel at point B. Where is point B? It is at the end of the forearm. I dont have that rifle but it is really simple if you can measure your barrel.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    What I understood was you asked about barrel channel. I suggested you measure your barrel. If you don't have a pair of calipers or a way to measure the barrel, then the question you want answered is the diameter of the barrel at point B. Where is point B? It is at the end of the forearm. I dont have that rifle but it is really simple if you can measure your barrel.

No, I COMMENTED on the barrel channel. I ASKED a very simple question, "What is everyone getting for their 12FV's?" Why is this so hard?

Basic Member
    No, I COMMENTED on the barrel channel. I ASKED a very simple question, "What is everyone getting for their 12FV's?" Why is this so hard?
    Geeze sorry. I told you, I got the AT one. I like it. If you dont thats fine but if you want peoples opinions and or answers you dont have to offend us.

I apologoze if I didnt anwser your question, but I thought i did.

Good luck in whatever..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyerwy View Post
    Geeze sorry. I told you, I got the AT one. I like it. If you dont thats fine but if you want peoples opinions and or answers you dont have to offend us.

I apologoze if I didnt anwser your question, but I thought i did.

Good luck in whatever..
    Yes, you did tell me what you got. You and SageRat Shooter are the only ones that have. I did not comment one way or the other on your choice of stock, other than the AT-One is listed as having a larger barrel channel. I have not intended to offend anyone, but it does get frustrating to ask a simple question and not get simple answers. Instead, I've been told to measure my barrel or buy whatever I want and open up the barrel channel myself. I understand how to measure, and I have opened up multiple stocks, but neither of those things even remotely begins to answer the question.

I would simply like to know which Boyds action inlet was purchased, by people who actually have bought them, for a 12FV.

Basic Member
    Why don't you call Boyds and get some real answers?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Why don't you call Boyds and get some real answers?

So, you suggest I call Boyds, and ask what the people on this forum have purchased? Seriously?

Basic Member
    The problem is when someone like yourself won't do any research on your own as to what will fit your rifle. Then you ***** when guy's are trying to help you.

It's a Savage SA rifle,just about any stock that is for a centerfeed Savage SA rifle will work. You may need to swap out some things,but I can make one fit into any 10/12/14/or 16 model stock that is made with the correct safety style.

Basic Member
    So, you suggest I call Boyds, and ask what the people on this forum have purchased? Seriously?

Are you somehow impaired? Do you think that Boyds knows less about their stocks than posters on this forum?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Are you somehow impaired?
    I am most of the time and it gets worse with age.

Basic Member
    Ah..I see I didnt realize they had different dimensions for the same rifle in different stock styles. That is odd in my opinion, you would think a Savage bull barrel would be a Savage bull barrel and use the same stock dimensions no matter the stock style.

i dont know, I am happy with my Boyds stock, function, fit and I think they look cool.

Good luck and hope you get one ya like!

My brother put a Bobby Hart LRT on his 12FV, we had to make a few adjustments to the mag well and the trigger guard, but everything else seemed to work ok. He went with the Savage 10 option, Blind mag, and regular satin finish.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks...nd-models.html

Team Savage

Better re-check your input data. Using their configurator as follows...

Make = Savage
    Model = 12 Top Bolt Release
    Choose Action = Short Action, Center Feed, Blind Magazine, Bull Barrel

...I got 5 options, At-one, At-one Thumbhole, Pro Varmint, Spike Camp, and Varmint Thumbhole, all which have the exact same barrel channels listed at the bottom of the page:

Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 5/16" and Point B = 1 1/16" Center to Center of Action Screws: 4 7/16" Over All Length of Part: 31 1/2" Comes with Boyds' 1/2" Rubber Recoil Pad. It is your responsibility to confirm the dimensions of your firearm with the supplied dimensions of our part. ATTENTION CUSTOMERS: New action screws are needed if your action screws are shorter than 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 respectively. These are sold separately on our Accessories page. This stock is designed for the Savage Blind Magazine with Center Feed Action and a top bolt release. When you disassemble your action the magazine box will stay inside the stock when the barreled action is removed. If the magazine box stays attached to the action, you may need the Staggered Feed Model or STAGGERED FEED version we offer. Due to the many variations of trigger guards that have been used for Savage Actions. Boyds uses a flat bottom metal design. Fitting for plastic and some metal models may be needed or contact Savage or Brownells for the flat bottom design. All finished parts have been CNC inlet to Boyds' House Action. Variations may exist from firearm to firearm, minor fitting may be required to get that perfect fit to your firearm. Natural cosmetic imperfections such as minor knots, burls, heartwood, mineral lines or minor cosmetic fill work are not considered a defect and will be subject to the 12% restocking fee .
    If you'd used their stock configurator for the rifle you actually have, not a bunch you don't have, you would already know why the Heritage is not an option see the graphic here.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    The problem is when someone like yourself won't do any research on your own as to what will fit your rifle. Then you ***** when guy's are trying to help you.

It's a Savage SA rifle,just about any stock that is for a centerfeed Savage SA rifle will work. You may need to swap out some things,but I can make one fit into any 10/12/14/or 16 model stock that is made with the correct safety style.
    No, the problem is with people like you who don't understand a simple question. I understand perfectly well what fits my rifle. I was merely curious as to what everyone else has done.

Basic Member
    Are you somehow impaired? Do you think that Boyds knows less about their stocks than posters on this forum?

I think if I call Boyds and ask them what "sharpshooter" purchased, they would think me impaired. And rightly so.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Better re-check your input data. Using their configurator as follows...

Make = Savage
    Model = 12 Top Bolt Release
    Choose Action = Short Action, Center Feed, Blind Magazine, Bull Barrel

...I got 5 options, At-one, At-one Thumbhole, Pro Varmint, Spike Camp, and Varmint Thumbhole, all which have the exact same barrel channels listed at the bottom of the page:

If you'd used their stock configurator for the rifle you actually have, not a bunch you don't have, you would already know why the Heritage is not an option see the graphic here.
    I have used the configurator, and it gives different dimensions depending on which stock is selected. I also understand why the Heritage is not listed, although I've seen them used.

Basic Member
    Alright people, this obviously went sideways from the start. I know what fits mine, I know how to measure, I know how to open up a barrel channel, I know the action inlets are the same. I never asked for any of that information.

I was simply curious what people here have ordered. I thought it a simple question, and assumed I'd get to hear what everyone has. I was wrong, and apologize for wasting our time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast