Thread: Best trigger upgrade for 3-screw Savage 110?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Best trigger upgrade for 3-screw Savage 110?

Looking for the best trigger I can get for precision shooting for my 110.

Rifle baisix or Timney? Any others?

Tony.

Basic Member
    What pull weight are you looking for?

Basic Member
    2 pound range

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyBen View Post
    Looking for the best trigger I can get for precision shooting for my 110.

Rifle baisix or Timney? Any others?

Tony.
    I've read alot of good thing about basix, never tried one. I have tried timney in ARs and they are nice, real.nice but imo WAY over priced, many others out their with timney quality and performance at half the price, granted savage triggers are not as plentiful as AR triggers a

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Tony, depending on Your skills, You can get the trigger You have down to 2 1/2#’s with crisp/no creep break, using the methods long known on this site. The difference between 2 and 2 1/2#’s is minimal. I have done 3 that I have on hunting rifles that I am very pleased with.

As far as RB’s and Timney’s I agree they are over priced for what we get. Therefore, I fixed what I have.

I shoot Bench Rest, so for me, anything over 8ozs is a TON. By Precision, if You mean PRS, then You’ll want at least 2, 2 1/2#’s. If You don’t do Your own work, You can satisfy Your needs with the standard RB or Timney. To Me the two are equal, and neither has an advantage over the other.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes for You.

Basic Member
    I've used both and prefer Rifle Basix most of the time. I have several and they work very well. I can adjust them easily and can't feel that a Timney is any better, at least to me, and the Basix is cheaper.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    Tony, depending on Your skills, You can get the trigger You have down to 2 1/2#’s with crisp/no creep break, using the methods long known on this site. The difference between 2 and 2 1/2#’s is minimal. I have done 3 that I have on hunting rifles that I am very pleased with.

As far as RB’s and Timney’s I agree they are over priced for what we get. Therefore, I fixed what I have.

I shoot Bench Rest, so for me, anything over 8ozs is a TON. By Precision, if You mean PRS, then You’ll want at least 2, 2 1/2#’s. If You don’t do Your own work, You can satisfy Your needs with the standard RB or Timney. To Me the two are equal, and neither has an advantage over the other.

Good Luck, and let us know how it goes for You.
    I haven't messed with the original trigger for a few years. I seem to remember that I couldn't safely get it down to the 2 pound range without the rifle going off when I tripped the safety off. If anyone has a link on how to tweak it, I can try that first. I do trigger jobs on M14's, but it's completely different than a Savage trigger.

I worked on mine recently and feel like I improved it safely. The trigger pull is a little better now, but I think it breaks crispier...if that's really a word. Used the article on this forum/website.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...ent-Procedures

Basic Member
    Sorry couldn't resist.. real men reload ammo and paint their 6 year olds nails lmbo :P

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Replace the wire spring with one built from .040” wire or just purchase a “Buzz Bait” and cut one from it. Polish the seat and lightly polish the trigger mating surface. Should result in a trigger with a 2.5# ish pull weight. You can also do a search on three screw tuning and find more info.

sear not seat (autocorrected)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    Replace the wire spring with one built from .040” wire or just purchase a “Buzz Bait” and cut one from it. Polish the seat and lightly polish the trigger mating surface. Should result in a trigger with a 2.5# ish pull weight. You can also do a search on three screw tuning and find more info.
    Thanks! I'll give that a shot.

Tony.

Tony, the important thing is to have spring preload where the trigger is in contact with the sear when the bolt is open.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Depending on which 3 screw it is, there is a simple mod you could try that I have done to several that makes them equal or slightly better than the Timney or RB-Sav1.
    If it is the style with the roll pin then this mod will work.
    Remove the spring wire & roll pin.
    Enlarge the overtravel screw threaded hole with a 9/64 diameter drill. This will just skim the inside of the threads.
    The result will allow a Savage "extractor" spring to just slip inside but the adjustment screw will still readily thread in.
    Assemble as a Timney or RB and adjust exactly the same way.
    Combined with the sear/trigger-polish/stoning mentioned above the trigger might be capable of the 2# category.
    I have removed two RBs and replaced them with these modified three screws and they definitely are giving me better results on paper.

There is one version of the three screw where the overtravel and safety screw do not have the depth of threads and there is not enough material to insert the spring and have enough threads left for the screw.

Another one does not have the roll pin but an integral spring catch. This one will work, I cut that protrusion off.

Finally there is no provision for overtravel (same as accutrigger) but does not seem to affect my style of shooting.