Thread: Choate Tactical vs. Boyd Pro Varmint for 12FV

Choate Tactical vs. Boyd Pro Varmint for 12FV

Hi everyone,

First time posting here.
    I'm a few days away from picking up a new Savage 12FV in 308 Win, which will be my 3rd Savage rifle - 1st one is 10T-SR in 223 Rem and 2nd one is B22 FV in 22 LR.

I am planning on replacing the stock on 12FV once I receive it because 1) I prefer more vertical grip - I mostly shoot informal bench target shooting, chasing after group size with my handloads and 2) forearm flex of the non-accustock Savage stock.
    (My 10T-SR has the Accustock and it works fine - bone-stock, it consistently shoots .3-.4" 5-shot group with my handloads. I just don't like the way stock feels when shooting on the bench)

Stocks I'm considering are 1) Boyds Pro-Varmint and 2) Choate Tactical because they both are in my price range (under $250) and look almost identical with vertical grip.
    As for Boyds, they now install pillar bedding as $55 option, BUT ONLY the front action screw on Savage 10 short-action.

Thus, my question is this.
    Will Boyds stock with only front pillar be as good (stable?) as having both front and rear pillars and good to go right out of box?
    Or will I be better off by going with Choate with full-length aluminum bedding block?

I am trying to avoid doing any work on the stock (i.e. putting pillars and glass bedding) and don't want to cough up $$$ to have a gunsmith to do those.
    I rather spend the time and money to do more shooting.

I like the look of Boyds (Forrest Camo) but I am concerned if having only the front pillar is going to be an issue.
    But if having only front pillar is not a issue, that will be my 1st choice.
    (The rifle is for bench shooting, so the weight is not an issue at all)

With pillar (front only) option, Boyds Pro Varmint come out as $222 and Choate Tactical is $219.95, pretty much the same price.
    Thanks for helping me out.

Oh, ONE MORE question.
    For both Boyds and Choate, will I need to get a new trigger guard that's flat (no raised tab in the front) or should I get a new guard?
    Thanks again guys.

Basic Member
    I have both styles but prefer the Choate because I'm pretty hard on my stuff. I've got 4 of the Choate Tactical stocks and only one of the Boyds. Both work very well,but the bedding block in the Choate will always be a better platform for accuracy shooting.

Basic Member
    I've went with choate, archangel and houge

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I have a Pro Varmint on my Axis in .223 and it works great. But I glued it into the stock.

For a rifle with more recoil I would go with the Choate. That Al bedding rail will give you a much better 'bond' than the all wood on the Boyd's. If you have metal bottom hardware then I see no reason to change. If you have plastic then I'd replace it with metal so you can torque the screws better.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I have a Pro Varmint on my Axis in .223 and it works great. But I glued it into the stock.

For a rifle with more recoil I would go with the Choate. That Al bedding rail will give you a much better 'bond' than the all wood on the Boyd's. If you have metal bottom hardware then I see no reason to change. If you have plastic then I'd replace it with metal so you can torque the screws better.
    I definitely agree the Choate is nice, it was gifted to my by a good friend and I love how solid it is. I bought a archangel also and definitely no complaints on it either, the 5-7 round magazine setup it has is nice and you can get bigger if you want, i found 5 is perfect for benchrest, bigger can get in the way

Basic Member
    For the parameters You mentioned, You want the Choate. You will need the old type trigger guard, or grind the tab off the current one and shape it to fit. As You progress in BR, You will want a stock that “tracks” better in the bags.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenGuy View Post
    For the parameters You mentioned, You want the Choate. You will need the old type trigger guard, or grind the tab off the current one and shape it to fit. As You progress in BR, You will want a stock that “tracks” better in the bags.
    I've always did much better off bipods.. ive heard some preferential to bags. I do have to say though on my Choate, the bipod does not fit as well as I would like.

I have a top of the line Choate for 308 in the classified, check it out! I went to MDT chassis.

Thanks everyone, for helping me out.
    By the way, I don't plan on putting a detachable mag on this rifle and will keep it as blind mag.
    (Thus, no need for a bottom metal)

I asked about trigger guard because I read that the guard 12FV comes with is different from the one that's needed for a replacement stock from Boyds.
    But I wasn't sure about needing the new guard for a Choate stock.
    Thanks Grenguy, for confirming that. I will order the old style trigger guard when ordering the stock.

So, it seems that Choate is the better option?
    That means the general consensus says Boyds with only front pillar bedding isn't as a stable platform as it can be???

That's a bummer since I like its look and the conventional way to put a bipod (to a fixed sling stud) on a Boyds stock.
    Like Ted_Feasel, I like shooting off bipod too and am pretty good. I wasn't that sure of how sturdy the rail-style platform to attach a bipod was on the Choate.

But I have no problem picking a Choate over a Boyds - function over forms.

Thanks again everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev1Doggy View Post
    I have a top of the line Choate for 308 in the classified, check it out! I went to MDT chassis.
    Thanks for letting me know of your stock. That stock looks great.
    It's just that yours, look like, is for a detachable mag but I'm looking for a stock for a blind mag. It is also outside of my price range.
    Still, that is one nice looking stock. Good luck.

Basic Member
    They make a picatinny rail that goes in the Atlas rail on the Choate stock. I have several of them that I use for mounting the rifles on one of my tripod stands.
    You can get one of those and mount a bipod that use a picatinny rail.

It's good to know that there is a picatinny rail adapter for the Choate stock.
    Where, if you don't mind, did you get it and also the cheek rest that's on the stock?

Thank you Txhillbilly.

Basic Member
    The cheek rest is from Choate. If you buy the stock from Choate they include it.
    If you buy from Tactical Works,you have to buy it separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    The cheek rest is from Choate. If you buy the stock from Choate they include it.
    If you buy from Tactical Works,you have to buy it separately.
    Thank you~!!!

My pick would be Choate also. Shot my first 4 years in F-TR with a Choate. Not one complaint.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.