Thread: Can a Leupold Alaskan scope be mounted in a Stith mount?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    gunpoor

Can a Leupold Alaskan scope be mounted in a Stith mount?

I am thinking of scoping my Savage 99EG using a 7/8" Stith mount. My question is, will a Leupold Alaskan scope work with this mounting system, or should I stick with the Lyman Alaskan?

Re: Can a Leupold Alaskan scope be mounted in a Stith mount?

is the Leupold 7/8" or 1"? I'm going to say no.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

gunpoor

Re: Can a Leupold Alaskan scope be mounted in a Stith mount?

The scope would also be 7/8" diameter. I am just wondering if the eye piece of the Leupold can be removed and the tube slid thru the rear mounting bracket and then replaced like would be done with a Lyman scope.

Basic Member

Leupold Alaskan in Stith mount

2 issues.

1. you cannot remove the ocular lens housing
    2. The scope tube is shorter than a Lyman and may not get enough support on the front end.

10 years ago Leupold did me a no cost favor and put a 2.5X Alaskan in a Jaeger 7/8" solid ring side mount to go on my 400 Whelen which works fine.

So if you can solve #2, #1 might be possible.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99 K 30-30 View Post
    2 issues.

1. you cannot remove the ocular lens housing
    2. The scope tube is shorter than a Lyman and may not get enough support on the front end.

10 years ago Leupold did me a no cost favor and put a 2.5X Alaskan in a Jaeger 7/8" solid ring side mount to go on my 400 Whelen which works fine.

So if you can solve #2, #1 might be possible.

I hope the OP figured out his issue, this thread is going on 11 years old!
    Nice looking mount and rifle. My first rifle that my grandfather gave me was a sporterized 1903 Remington, built by Paul Jaeger. Had the same scope and mount on it until I decided to upgrade the scope to a 4-12x. It took me forever to find some rings for it, and they were very pricey.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    I hope the OP figured out his issue, this thread is going on 11 years old!
    Nice looking mount and rifle. My first rifle that my grandfather gave me was a sporterized 1903 Remington, built by Paul Jaeger. Had the same scope and mount on it until I decided to upgrade the scope to a 4-12x. It took me forever to find some rings for it, and they were very pricey.
    So happens i lived most of my life in close proximity to Paul Yeagers gun shop in Jenkintown Pa.
    I cant say i knew him well, but like many others in the area i visited his store/shop numerous times.
    My fathers loading outfit i recently mentioned was bought in Paul Yeagers store.
    I bought several guns from him personally, as well as discussing and having him rebarrel a 110 Savage 300 win with a Douglass barrel.
    He produced quite a few very good gun related items, including the quick detachable scope mount.
    I had one of those on a 760 Rem pump with a Weaver scope in the early 60s.
    My father also had several of them on his rifles.
    He also produced a very good trigger which my father had also.
    He was also credited with producing the first quick disconnect sling swivel.
    Above all he was a real gentleman, who wore a suit and tie to work every day.
    The jacket would be replaced with a clean apron after he arrived, but the clean white shirt and tie remained.
    The Jenkintown area at that time was a very affluent place, having very wealthy families with names like Pitcairn and Asphlund to name a few.
    It is still the home area for the Asphlund company as well as one of the nations largest home builders, Toll Bros.

Basic Member
    Yes Jaeger did great work.
    A friend has an 8x57 sporter he did using a 1944 (!) K98 as a basis.
    If you didn't look at the receiver ring markings, you would think it was a pre war commercial Mauser Werke.
    He also took over what was left of R.F. Sedgley and sold guns built from their parts for a few years.

My deluxe Sedgleys in 6.5x55 and 22-06 (not a typo)