Thread: has anyone tried this one piece direct fit scope mount.

has anyone tried this one piece direct fit scope mount.

been looking at mounting options and well. i really would like something with a recoil lug but came across this and it looks like a pretty nice set up. could have been made with better materials but hey. just cant find any reviews for it anywhere online.

https://www.natchezss.com/wheeler-1-...mm-medium.html

Looks nice. I wonder if that would work with my Bushnell 3-9x40 BDC.

Quote Originally Posted by DJinAC View Post
    Looks nice. I wonder if that would work with my Bushnell 3-9x40 BDC.
    if you can find specs that tell the distance between the rings let me know.
    i was looking to spend twice as much as this scope, but im thinking ill give this one a try. i like that its set up specifically for the 6.5cm. still need the specs on this scope as well. though im waiting for primary arms to open their doors again. then ill just make the 2 hour trip to houston to look with my own eyes... i hate buying optics sight unseen online.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-3-18x...-6-5cm-reticle

ive never owned anything from primary arms so i have no idea if the glass is clear at max zoom or if i should stick the 1k price range for clear glass.

The scope I bought is specifically for the .223 and is calibrated for 55 and 62 gr bullets. I just want to be able to shoot the Savage and my new Ruger 22/45. I bought both during this pandemic and all the ranges in NJ are closed. The thing that kills me is I can play golf but I can’t go to a range. Let me know how you make out. I am calling Savage today to find out what rail I need so I can order that.

Looks like a decent piece of kit. Similar; I've been using the DNZ
    tactical one piece, 20 MOA mounts on 2 rifles. I have a third DNZ
    stored away in 34mm. Might be needed on the next build. Level
    is a nice touch but would prefer it to be on the scope. I like the
    large bubble on my Hollands.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Banned
    Looks to be as good as any other 6061 Aluminum mount. Not really much to a mount. Looking for proper machining & as much rigidity as possible. If it were made of 7075 this would be a top seller. Although 6061 works just fine in a 1-piece mount. I would NOT want rings made of 6061 though. They will flex too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Looks to be as good as any other 6061 Aluminum mount. Not really much to a mount. Looking for proper machining & as much rigidity as possible. If it were made of 7075 this would be a top seller. Although 6061 works just fine in a 1-piece mount. I would NOT want rings made of 6061 though. They will flex too much.
    back looking at this mount again lol. If it was 7075 i would have bought it already. Currently looking to ditch the OEM rail on my 110 FCP HS precision. Really wish i could find one like this, but steel.

Quote Originally Posted by nathantc View Post
    back looking at this mount again lol. If it was 7075 i would have bought it already. Currently looking to ditch the OEM rail on my 110 FCP HS precision. Really wish i could find one like this, but steel.

Im not so sure you would ever recognize the difference unless you were combat military. True, many top ring manufactures use 7076 or 7075 but MPA is the second largest seller of rings to competitive shooters in PRS, their rings are 6061BTW, Your choice in optics is very good in that price range. Probably second only to Arken. Maybe as good.

Primary armsis a different kind of retailer. They have a store front but very few items to get your hands on. You go in the door and they tell you to log onto one of the 3 computers on the wall. Then you order what you want from the web site. last time I was there that is the way it was done.

I am not too far and I have friends and family close by. Hollar if you come to town and maybe we can meet up for breakfast or lunch.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    Yes, the MPA scope mount, as well as their Chassis’ are 6061 Billet. 6061 does fine, even in top level. That said, enthusiasts don’t typically purchase gear because the NEED it to be better. Why do people spend $4K on a scope?? Why the extra money on a custom Action, when we’ve seen exceptional results from several factory actions? The answer is, Because we CAN!

I know 6061 T6 is a capable & very strong material. Yet I would NEVER build one of my ARs using the less expensive 6061. Not only are the 7075 receivers more expensive...they are also tougher on my tooling. My end mills, drills & machine. But to me it’s worth the outcome.

So, we all pick our poison. I stick to what I said. One piece scope mounts are fine in 6061 because of the extra rigidity in mass of material. And IF said mount was available in 7075 as well, I would spend the extra. But I would never 2 piece rings in 6061. I do not feel the same with glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Yes, the MPA scope mount, as well as their Chassis’ are 6061 Billet. 6061 does fine, even in top level. That said, enthusiasts don’t typically purchase gear because the NEED it to be better. Why do people spend $4K on a scope?? Why the extra money on a custom Action, when we’ve seen exceptional results from several factory actions? The answer is, Because we CAN!

I know 6061 T6 is a capable & very strong material. Yet I would NEVER build one of my ARs using the less expensive 6061. Not only are the 7075 receivers more expensive...they are also tougher on my tooling. My end mills, drills & machine. But to me it’s worth the outcome.

So, we all pick our poison. I stick to what I said. One piece scope mounts are fine in 6061 because of the extra rigidity in mass of material. And IF said mount was available in 7075 as well, I would spend the extra. But I would never 2 piece rings in 6061. I do not feel the same with glass.

I get it. Being a machinist for a living one learns that things that you think might have all this metallurgy built into the design, then you PMI it and it is some cheap metal. Other times you are like holy crap, that seams like overkill. My only point is that the difference in the two metals for scope bases and rings are not something the everyday guy needs to worry about. Sniper situations with the scope hitting the ground, rocks, jumping out of a copter etc... yeah but most stuff no.

One thing that I have to remind myself. I can offer my opinion but ultimately it is your rifle. Im damn sure not going to give you my opinion on how the build or sharpen a knife.

For me, all my rings are 7075 or 7076 on the critical stuff. But The 2K scopes are in those. I have some steel in there too. When you spend time looking through a scope for 20 plus minutes without much of a break, glass quality quickly stands out.

I live in Lumberton Tx, just north of Beaumont. That said, i may just buy the mount and try it. Gotta wait for my rifle to get back from the gunsmith though. Brand new Savage 110 FCP HS Precision in 300PRC and the damn thing fails on me in the very first round. Brass stuck in chamber.. So it has to be reamed. Chamber is a bit to tight, savage has a 5-6 month wait and im expected to pay the shipping. So instead of paying the shipping im paying a local smith $200 to make my brand new $1400 rifle function properly. Just my luck. Anyway i'll wait to get it back to get measurements of the screws and screw spacing. Not sure if the action has the same specs as a normal 110 being as its a mag fed version of a savage target action. Im also unsure if its the same action as the 338LM as i got to look at them side by side and they appeared to be 100% identical.
    https://www.savagearms.com/content?p...ummary&s=22088

forgot to mention that $200 is fixing the issue, glass bedding the stock, and doing a trigger job. Shipping back to savage would have been at least $100 so yeah.

The only people I know that would know if the actions are the same would be Fred Moreo and possibly Jim Baker. The amount of thrust is the determining factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    The amount of thrust is the determining factor.
    i assume you are talking about recoil.
    only fired 5 rounds, each time the brass got stuck. That being said i expected it to be far worse than it is, as everything i read about the 300PRC says it has more recoil than a 300 win mag. I suppose the weight and that large brake soak it up. It's far less than my 7mm mag i just sold, and even less than my dads .270. I could shoot this rifle all day.
    That said i want a high quality scope and mount. I would love a one piece direct fit mount but if that does not work to my liking i'll go for a steel rail and a spuhr mount. Would rather less components to ever "come loose" but if i need a base and a mount. i'll go with the best.

Quote Originally Posted by nathantc View Post
    i assume you are talking about recoil.
    only fired 5 rounds, each time the brass got stuck. That being said i expected it to be far worse than it is, as everything i read about the 300PRC says it has more recoil than a 300 win mag. I suppose the weight and that large brake soak it up. It's far less than my 7mm mag i just sold, and even less than my dads .270. I could shoot this rifle all day.
    That said i want a high quality scope and mount. I would love a one piece direct fit mount but if that does not work to my liking i'll go for a steel rail and a spuhr mount. Would rather less components to ever "come loose" but if i need a base and a mount. i'll go with the best.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Spuhr. I have 2 of their one piece 34 mm rings. You have to have the rail though. 7076
    I also am very surprised at the strength of the ARC rings. Never a problem and never a doubt. My steel mounts are Ken Farrel. I have nothing else to compare them too.