Thread: Can a Leupold Alaskan scope be mounted in a Stith mount?

gunpoor

Can a Leupold Alaskan scope be mounted in a Stith mount?

I am thinking of scoping my Savage 99EG using a 7/8" Stith mount. My question is, will a Leupold Alaskan scope work with this mounting system, or should I stick with the Lyman Alaskan?

Re: Can a Leupold Alaskan scope be mounted in a Stith mount?

is the Leupold 7/8" or 1"? I'm going to say no.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

gunpoor

Re: Can a Leupold Alaskan scope be mounted in a Stith mount?

The scope would also be 7/8" diameter. I am just wondering if the eye piece of the Leupold can be removed and the tube slid thru the rear mounting bracket and then replaced like would be done with a Lyman scope.

Basic Member

Leupold Alaskan in Stith mount

2 issues.

1. you cannot remove the ocular lens housing
    2. The scope tube is shorter than a Lyman and may not get enough support on the front end.

10 years ago Leupold did me a no cost favor and put a 2.5X Alaskan in a Jaeger 7/8" solid ring side mount to go on my 400 Whelen which works fine.

So if you can solve #2, #1 might be possible.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99 K 30-30 View Post
    2 issues.

1. you cannot remove the ocular lens housing
    2. The scope tube is shorter than a Lyman and may not get enough support on the front end.

10 years ago Leupold did me a no cost favor and put a 2.5X Alaskan in a Jaeger 7/8" solid ring side mount to go on my 400 Whelen which works fine.

So if you can solve #2, #1 might be possible.

I hope the OP figured out his issue, this thread is going on 11 years old!
    Nice looking mount and rifle. My first rifle that my grandfather gave me was a sporterized 1903 Remington, built by Paul Jaeger. Had the same scope and mount on it until I decided to upgrade the scope to a 4-12x. It took me forever to find some rings for it, and they were very pricey.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    I hope the OP figured out his issue, this thread is going on 11 years old!
    Nice looking mount and rifle. My first rifle that my grandfather gave me was a sporterized 1903 Remington, built by Paul Jaeger. Had the same scope and mount on it until I decided to upgrade the scope to a 4-12x. It took me forever to find some rings for it, and they were very pricey.
    So happens i lived most of my life in close proximity to Paul Yeagers gun shop in Jenkintown Pa.
    I cant say i knew him well, but like many others in the area i visited his store/shop numerous times.
    My fathers loading outfit i recently mentioned was bought in Paul Yeagers store.
    I bought several guns from him personally, as well as discussing and having him rebarrel a 110 Savage 300 win with a Douglass barrel.
    He produced quite a few very good gun related items, including the quick detachable scope mount.
    I had one of those on a 760 Rem pump with a Weaver scope in the early 60s.
    My father also had several of them on his rifles.
    He also produced a very good trigger which my father had also.
    He was also credited with producing the first quick disconnect sling swivel.
    Above all he was a real gentleman, who wore a suit and tie to work every day.
    The jacket would be replaced with a clean apron after he arrived, but the clean white shirt and tie remained.
    The Jenkintown area at that time was a very affluent place, having very wealthy families with names like Pitcairn and Asphlund to name a few.
    It is still the home area for the Asphlund company as well as one of the nations largest home builders, Toll Bros.

Basic Member
    Yes Jaeger did great work.
    A friend has an 8x57 sporter he did using a 1944 (!) K98 as a basis.
    If you didn't look at the receiver ring markings, you would think it was a pre war commercial Mauser Werke.
    He also took over what was left of R.F. Sedgley and sold guns built from their parts for a few years.

My deluxe Sedgleys in 6.5x55 and 22-06 (not a typo)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99 K 30-30 View Post
    Yes Jaeger did great work.
    A friend has an 8x57 sporter he did using a 1944 (!) K98 as a basis.
    If you didn't look at the receiver ring markings, you would think it was a pre war commercial Mauser Werke.
    He also took over what was left of R.F. Sedgley and sold guns built from their parts for a few years.

My deluxe Sedgleys in 6.5x55 and 22-06 (not a typo)

Well Sedgley was a Philly firm that specialized in converting surplus military rifles especially Springfields into works of art like the ones shown.
    My father had an Enfield that had been converted by them.
    The gun had a headspace issue when he purchased it from a Philly pawn shop, but of coarse he didnt realize that.
    The third round he fired from it blew the gun up, but fortunately the bolt stayed in place.
    After he recovered somewhat he took it back to where he bought it, but they just blew him off.
    He then took it to a gunsmith firm in Philly by name of Wurzer & Peterson, that being Martin Wurzer and Pete Peterson. Maybe Petersen?
    Wurzer was the gunsmith, and Peterson the stockmaker.
    When he took the gun there, Wurzer looked at and said i built this gun when i worked at Sedgley, and Pete here made that stock.
    But thats not the same barrel on the gun as it was when it left Sedgley.
    Turned out it had been owned by a Philly cop by name of Kline, who had aspirations of being a gunsmith.
    I was standing about 10 feet from him when that gun blew up.
    So you can see where my mindset came from regarding gun building, there is usually a reason for everything.
    Anyway Wurzer asked my father what his intentions were for the gun.
    And he said why do you ask?
    Wurzer replied why dont you let us rebuild it, and i can assure you it will be a fine rifle.
    So guess what, he did, and he hunted with it untill he died, much too young i might add.
    The checkering on the stock was identicle to those pictured, but the wood not nearly as nice, as very few would be.
    So dont be surprised if a man named Peterson built those stocks.

When Paul Yeager got older he brought a relative from Germany into the business, i believe he was a nephew.
    His name was Dietrick Apel, and he was a bit on the arrogant side.
    His stay at Yeagers didnt last long.