Thread: Mag issues on axis II 350 legend

Mag issues on axis II 350 legend

First off, thanks for the add!!!

I took my axis II out to the range for the first time today. I was impressed with the out of the box accuracy. However after each shot the mag seemed to drop just enough to allow the bolt to slide over the cartridge and not load another round. I would reach under and pull up on the mag and and reseat it and the bolt would load another shell. Happened every shot. Got home and checked the mag release button/lever and lubed it lightly.

Has anyone else had this problem?

If so, what was your fix?

TIA

Talan

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Talan View Post

I took my axis II out to the range for the first time today. I was impressed with the out of the box accuracy. However after each shot the mag seemed to drop just enough to allow the bolt to slide over the cartridge and not load another round. I would reach under and pull up on the mag and and reseat it and the bolt would load another shell. Happened every shot. Got home and checked the mag release button/lever and lubed it lightly.

TIA

Talan
    I had that issue on a savage 308, turned out the action screws were a tad loose. Torqued to spec and was fine after that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Ted I just took the rifle out to my shop and checked the torque and retorted the action screws to 35 in. Pounds. I’ll see if that helps. Would reinforcing the stock help? I read an article where the author used to 3/16 rods and epoxied them in place? I’d hate to restock a brand new rifle but I will if needed. It shoots well for a stock sub $400.00 rifle but if your bolt slides over the round in the mag it’s useless for a second shot.

Basic Member
    Ted I just took the rifle out to my shop and checked the torque and retorted the action screws to 35 in. Pounds. I’ll see if that helps. Would reinforcing the stock help? I read an article where the author used to 3/16 rods and epoxied them in place? I’d hate to restock a brand new rifle but I will if needed. It shoots well for a stock sub $400.00 rifle but if your bolt slides over the round in the mag it’s useless for a second shot.
    Bedding the stock "could" help if you can find that some flexing issue was the problem. I would start with the simple things that cost no money to figure out like proper torque ( by the way, how far off were they from proper torque range?) The magazine etc. Did you say that you had to reseat the magazine and then it would strip the next round just fine? If so I'd call savage and tell them, they may send you a new mag to try.

Yes if I just reached under the rifle and pulled up slightly the mag would reseat and bolt would pick up the shell. I’m not against stiffening the stock but in my opinion I shouldn’t have to in a brand new rifle regardless of cost. The torque was only off between 30 & 35 pounds. So approximately 3-4 pounds.

Basic Member
    Yes if I just reached under the rifle and pulled up slightly the mag would reseat and bolt would pick up the shell. I’m not against stiffening the stock but in my opinion I shouldn’t have to in a brand new rifle regardless of cost. The torque was only off between 30 & 35 pounds. So approximately 3-4 pounds.
    I think the 1st thing I would do is try again, I this because several savages ive owned have felt like you got the mag all the way seated but in reality it wasn't. This has happened on a couple brand ive had, not just savage and it only would happen on a full magazine. Once I realized that is what was happening I pressed harder with the palm of my hand and heard a 2nd pop as it fully seated.. if.youve by chance already eliminated that as a possibility I would contact tech and maybe they will swap out the mag for you to eliminate that as a possibility then next being that its new, as much as it sucks to temporarily part with it I would go through the RMA process with savage. They have always been happy to help and reasonabley quick, that may be different during this covid 19 thing though.

Update on mag dropping issue. Contacted savage and they are sending me a new aluminum block since they thought that was the issue. I decided to look into the issue a bit more today before heading into work. What I found after looking at the mag with my 7 power magnifying head set was the rear tab on the mag had a hair line crack right on the sharp bend of the tab. (Stress crack from bending) Got back a hold of savage and they are sending a new mag as well all free of charge. Very happy with customer service and these days that doesn’t happen often.

Basic Member
    Update on mag dropping issue. Contacted savage and they are sending me a new aluminum block since they thought that was the issue. I decided to look into the issue a bit more today before heading into work. What I found after looking at the mag with my 7 power magnifying head set was the rear tab on the mag had a hair line crack right on the sharp bend of the tab. (Stress crack from bending) Got back a hold of savage and they are sending a new mag as well all free of charge. Very happy with customer service and these days that doesn’t happen often.
    Good to hear.. ive always been very happy with their cs

Latest update: pulled bolt and got my magnifying head set and took a close look at the engagement of the mag. As I shone light in the mag opening from the top I noticed the lip wasn’t engaging on the ledge and thought I saw a hair line stress crack right in the right bend of the spring steel. There was definitely a stress crack right in the bend. I contacted savage again and told them I was going to highlight the crack with a pencil and send him a picture. While lightly rubbing with the pencil the tab fell off. So they are sending a new mag as well. All free of charge. I’ve since mage a new tab from .030 spring steel and tig welded it on the original mag and it works flawlessly. Locks in tight and bolt picks up next round perfect. So my plan is to use my modified mag and keentheirs as a back up/spare. Being a toolmaker helps sometimes.

Well got my new mag delivered and it doesn’t fit properly either. Won’t lock into place. Seems the tab is to long, or the mag filler is to tall. Guess I’ll have to rework this one too. ��*♂️ Just doesn’t seem right. I guess I can rework the filler block but either way I’ll need to do some smithing. I wondered about a sub $400.00 rifle. Oh well it seems to be a shooter so I’ll make it right.

TIA

Talan
    My two buddies have new axis 2 350s they recently bought. Neither gun will Cycle shells. 1st one goes into chamber, rack bolt, shell ejects next one nose dives into magazine when u close bolt. Bolt rides over top of shell.Savage sent them each replacement mags to fix problem. No luck, same issue. Local gun store said a lot of guys having 350 jam issues. My one buddy finally bent the side tabs out on his mag to make his bullet sit higher in mag. Works great now! Also, these guns come with a 223? magazine which is a smaller bullet. Those 350 bullets sit super low in that mag. Anyway, after an identical mag replacement from savage & then one from a precision 350 savage, & both still having jam issues...I found out just last night after calling savage, they now have a caliber specific 350 magazine designed to fix the issue. It is item # 114456 which you’ll have to ask em for. I hope this helps someone who reads this. All recent news!

Basic Member
    You have to have HIGH spring pressure with this round. Or it will nose dive as you seen. It is one of the ways that c-products uses to get this to function in an AR15 platform. C-Products make all the AR mags from the different maker of the ar's.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    You have to have HIGH spring pressure with this round. Or it will nose dive as you seen. It is one of the ways that c-products uses to get this to function in an AR15 platform. C-Products make all the AR mags from the different maker of the ar's.
    Here’s an update. New magazine arrived which is 350 specific. Still jams! Savage gets their mags from Magpul. You’d think a new gun wouldn’t have any issues but the mags my buddy adjusted work fine. My buddy’s guns not mine.

All,

I'm working on this very issue with my own solution. The small tab doesn't have enough there to hold the mag in place. I tried to tweak it a bit, but being the steel it is, it snapped instantly. The mag will literally come out if you press from inside the action down. I took off the stock and inserted the mag and marked the depth with a scribe. I then added jb weld to the mag and shaped a proper tab onto the back. I have to fine tune it a bit, but in testing, has been rock solid with no issues. New to this forum and thought I'd share while figuring out how to post things properly.

https://ibb.co/SKDpzt0

https://ibb.co/TLjV9NP

https://ibb.co/grrWsM0

https://ibb.co/mXy7QVX
    Last edited by Mr.G; 12-19-2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: adding pics.

It's the rifle recoil that causes the mag to slip. I have the same problem with my Axix I. I can load the mag and cycle rounds all day, with no problem. But when I take it to the range and fire the rifle is when it occurs. I'm not making any modifications. If this happens on so many rifles it's not a minor defect. Everyone keep calling Savage and complaining, they will come up with a solution.

Same identical issue with the 110 Apex Hunter XP. The 350 legend cartridge sits way to low.
    Savage wants me to send it to them so they can look at it.
    https://www.instagram.com/wmmcnett/p...dium=copy_link

Found a cheap easy fix

I know this is an old thread but even in 2023, this issue persists in new axis 350 legends (at least mine) so I am giving a remedy for anyone that sees this in the future.

A simple cheap fix I found is putting each tab that holds the cartridge into a vise, grip that sucker down and slowly bend the the tab outwards several times flip the magazine around and do the same for the other tab. Be careful as theres not much purchase so the magazine will most likely slip free from the vise while doing this process.
    This process allows the bullet to sit ever so slightly higher and it feeds everytime now. No waiting for Savage customer service, no waiting for a new mag to come in the mail or buying new magazines or fabrications.
    Why Savage hasn't addressed this problem several years later is beyond me. Anyways, I do hope this helps someone in the future. And once again, my apologies for bumping an old thread.

Banned
    Good thinking Stubbs. Many just pry/bend with a screwdriver, which is not very precise. Adjusting the mag feed lis has been almost an artform for decades. There is actually a specific tool offered by several manufacturers that will adjust the feed lips quite accurately. Here is the inexpensive one:
    https://www.kiprecision.com/shop/ki-...n-mag-lip-tool

Basic Member
    Ok, it seems like several people are reporting the same sort of problem. I'm wondering if this a qc or technique problem? The savage mag should be inserted back to front. I push the rear of the mag in as far as it will go, the squeeze / slight pivot towards front until the catch clicks into place. I have never had a problem with misfeeds or breakage doing this.

If you try to push the mag straight up into the magwell, it will produce the failure you describe.

Basic Member
    one problem the AR15 guys are having is the round is not releasing fast enough from the feed lips. So the round gets hung up on the top of the chamber. You have trim the feed lips or tweek them open enough to get the round to pop out faster so the base can pop up to get the round into the chamber. Most guys don't understand this or just can't visualize it. You don't have to trim off the front of the mag or change followers or grind the piss out of the barrel extension so you remove the whole bottom locking lugs. I would rather screw up a $20 mag any day over grinding on my barrel with a dremil

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    All,

I'm working on this very issue with my own solution. The small tab doesn't have enough there to hold the mag in place. I tried to tweak it a bit, but being the steel it is, it snapped instantly. The mag will literally come out if you press from inside the action down. I took off the stock and inserted the mag and marked the depth with a scribe. I then added jb weld to the mag and shaped a proper tab onto the back. I have to fine tune it a bit, but in testing, has been rock solid with no issues. New to this forum and thought I'd share while figuring out how to post things properly.

https://ibb.co/SKDpzt0

https://ibb.co/TLjV9NP

https://ibb.co/grrWsM0

https://ibb.co/mXy7QVX
    I had this same problem today and this post gave me a resolution to it. I did the same thing as Mr.G but I used “solder-it” silver solder to attach a piece of metal to the tab. Seems to be a rock solid hold so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_9004.jpg   IMG_9001.jpg   IMG_9002.jpg   IMG_8999.jpg   IMG_9003.jpg