Thread: Jard trigger

Basic Member

Jard trigger

AS previously reported I have had some issues with the trigger group on my pre 66 mdl 110. The so called J action. In the search for a better trigger group I have heard that it cannot be done to yes you can but, blah blah blah.
    As I could not seem to come up with a new model trigger group, or a safety bar or sear-bolt stop My only option was to invest in a Jard trigger and safety bar.
    I borrowed a new model trigger group and assembled it on the action. The only problem found was the clearance flat on the action for the bolt stop was too short.
    Easily over come. So Ordered the trigger, waited two weeks, got the trigger. Thank you Jard.
    Using my small die grinder and carbide bur I slowly removed enough metal on the side of the action for the bolt release to come forward enough to remove the bolt. 5 minutes later, assembled the action in the stock, relieved some metal from the trigger guard for side clearance and I now have a light trigger in my old Savage. All the worry, fretting, poor advise, bad information over with. I did get some encouragement from forum members. Thank you for that.
    The answer to this problem is, Yes the Jard trigger group will work in the pre 66 J actions with very little work.Period.

Basic Member
    Glad you were able to figure it out. Did you end up buying the Jard safety bar also?
    Having made the swap to a Timney years ago the biggest hurdle was finding all the trigger & safety parts. Sounds like the Jard helped in overcoming the obstacles.
    Good job.

Basic Member
    Glad it worked out for you. One thing I will point out in your statement is that the J series came after the pre 1966 version. Everything made after 1965 was designated series "J" to distinguish the changes made to the trigger, bolt and magazine.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    The action screw dimensions are different on the j action abs well as the trigger group. I discovered this trying to find a stock.
    I did get the safety bar for the Jard trigger as none of the old parts would work except for the main keeper pin.

Basic Member
    As i said before, Everything made after 1965 was designated series "J" to distinguish the changes made to the trigger, bolt and magazine. A lot of people erroneously mistake the "J" series action with the first generation 110 short action. The first generation short action came out in 1960. The "J" series came out in '66. They used the 110 short action up until 1987, and were still marked series"J". In 1988, every caliber was made on a long action. The new short action (10,12 series) didn't come out until late 1997.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    And as I stated the receiver bolt pattern is different and is not what the later actions are. Hence, stocks are hard to find.