I am a new member and this is my first post. I recently bought my first rifle for myself just after this last Christmas. I bought the Savage Axis XP in 308 because it was new and cheap. I quickly replaced the 3-9 weaver scope with a Vortex 6-24x50 Diamondback Tactical since I wanted to do some more long range shooting at the local range. The original scope was a 1 inch tube while the Vortex was a 30mm so I had to get new scope rings too. I brought the old scope rings with me since I didnt know if the rail was weaver or picatinny. After a 20 minute drive there and a 20 minute drive back, I tried to mount the scope but they gave me the wrong rings (picatinny). I then made another 40 minute drive to the gun shop and they switched out the mounts for the correct ones (weaver) and they even mounted it on my rifle for free since they felt bad about selling me the wrong product and having me drive all over town. I went to the range maybe 3 times since then and this last time the rings broke. I was shooting and saw something fly next to me. I thought it was brass from the guy next to me but after inspecting my gun I noticed the clamping part of the rings that locks onto the rail had split in half through the screw hole and had flew off my gun. The other ring was also cracked at the same spot. I dont know if the gun store torqued it too tight or if its because the only rings they sold were cheap $40, but I'm tired of dealing with them and driving back and forth all day.

I want to shoot at 300-400 yards but eventually shoot 1000 yards. I'm not sure what the advantages of a one piece vs two piece scope rings are. Im also thinking about buying a 20 MOA rail to use instead of the two piece rail that the gun came with. I was hoping someone here can give me some suggestions for some nice sturdy rings and a sturdy axis-compatible rail with long range shooting in mind. I'd like to only spend money on what I need, but will invest in something if it is high quality and will last me the life of my gun.