Thread: Scope mounting

Scope mounting

I am a new member and this is my first post. I recently bought my first rifle for myself just after this last Christmas. I bought the Savage Axis XP in 308 because it was new and cheap. I quickly replaced the 3-9 weaver scope with a Vortex 6-24x50 Diamondback Tactical since I wanted to do some more long range shooting at the local range. The original scope was a 1 inch tube while the Vortex was a 30mm so I had to get new scope rings too. I brought the old scope rings with me since I didnt know if the rail was weaver or picatinny. After a 20 minute drive there and a 20 minute drive back, I tried to mount the scope but they gave me the wrong rings (picatinny). I then made another 40 minute drive to the gun shop and they switched out the mounts for the correct ones (weaver) and they even mounted it on my rifle for free since they felt bad about selling me the wrong product and having me drive all over town. I went to the range maybe 3 times since then and this last time the rings broke. I was shooting and saw something fly next to me. I thought it was brass from the guy next to me but after inspecting my gun I noticed the clamping part of the rings that locks onto the rail had split in half through the screw hole and had flew off my gun. The other ring was also cracked at the same spot. I dont know if the gun store torqued it too tight or if its because the only rings they sold were cheap $40, but I'm tired of dealing with them and driving back and forth all day.

I want to shoot at 300-400 yards but eventually shoot 1000 yards. I'm not sure what the advantages of a one piece vs two piece scope rings are. Im also thinking about buying a 20 MOA rail to use instead of the two piece rail that the gun came with. I was hoping someone here can give me some suggestions for some nice sturdy rings and a sturdy axis-compatible rail with long range shooting in mind. I'd like to only spend money on what I need, but will invest in something if it is high quality and will last me the life of my gun.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Get you a one piece rail and some decent rings. Nothing on top needs to be torqued past 30#
    I bed the back of the rail with JB weld so I know it’s not flexing. With the rail you can use little bubble levels to square and level things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I get away with using rings and rails with 6061 Aluminum and good reviews or should I look for 7075 Aluminum or steel since its stronger? I guess im a little skeptical after the last ones broke.

Basic Member
    Robinhood offered good advise and if i were you i would take it.
    There are endless other options, some of which might be good also, but sooner or later you need to pick one.
    Id suggest getting a 20 degree taper on the base if you plan on shooting long with a 308.
    The one piece picitiny base will allow for more flexibility in placing the scope on the gun.
    Also, since your using a Vortex scope you will probably need an inch pound torque driver for tightening the scope rings to a specific setting.
    Check the instructions that came with the scope for that information, but it will probably be about 15 inch pounds of torque.
    Otherwise by using just regular tools you might tighten them too much causing the scope adjustments to malfunction.
    You could try those first, but remember not to tighten very hard or you could experience problems adjusting the scope.
    And yes, the reason for that is thin scope tubes.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    I've always been curious about there rings. Sounds like you are happy with them.?!

I used Warne for years. Never had any issue with ring marks or compression. Challenging to mount and assemble at times but nice stuff for the dough. Important note; The Warne fit weaver better than Picatnny.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I've always been curious about there rings. Sounds like you are happy with them.?!

I used Warne for years. Never had any issue with ring marks or compression. Challenging to mount and assemble at times but nice stuff for the dough. Important note; The Warne fit weaver better than Picatnny.
    I do like them and have had no issues. I recall choosing them for my first rifle based mainly on price and have bought several more since then. They can be a little challenging to mount the first time but, once you get the hang of it, they go together just fine. I put the EGW rings on my most recent acquisition for a change of pace and have been happy with them as well.